Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] [SOLVED] Weird performance issues in Nexuiz

Hi there,

Sorry, I am a little confused right now. I actually thought that the Nexuiz forums are still active, but there, a moderator told me that it's basically dead while all Nexuiz members went here...
So I hope someone can help me on this issue:

Quote:Recently, I bought some new components for my PC, but for some strange reason, the performance in Nexuiz is very...weird

System:
Phenom II X4 955 (3,2 GHz)
DDR3 4GB Ram (7-7-7-24)
9800 GTX (Driver = 256.36)

Further, the game is installed on a stripeset raid array.
Debian Testing x64 (Kernel should be 2.6.32-5-16, not exactly sure though)

If I play Nexuiz on maxed out settings, I usually have between 45 and 150 fps (ingame fps meter). Sounds great, but the performance feels like 15-20 fps. The game is barely playable tbh. This "felt" performance is much more smooth on medium settings, but even there, it feels like the fps are 25 max.

The really weird thing about this is that on my previous rig, the game ran very well on high settings.
Previous Hardware:
Athlone 64 x2 4600 (2,4GHz)
DDR2 2GB Ram
8600GT (some 196.xx drivers)

I didn't have the time to test other games as well, so far the only things I played on this hardware were MegaTen and Neverball (lol @ fps issues).

Does someone have an idea what I could do to troubleshoot this problem?

Edit: Sorry, forgot to include the Nexuiz Version. That being 2.5.2, installed from Debian official testing repositories

Turn off compiz.

Just my guess Tongue
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

Code:
cl_maxfps 0

?

Heh, I am not a moderator of the alienTRAP forum, even though I seem to be almost the only one posting there (redirecting people to this forum, that is). :D

Welcome to Xonotic!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I have the same cpu as you. Under windows it always helps to manually assign nexuiz to only one core - otherwise the process gets split up on all 4 cores - which is quite useless as nex is singlethreaded and the core switching causes performance loss.
I´m not sure how the debian scheduler handles single-threaded tasks so just try it out.
I guess this is also the reason why it runs better on your dual-core

i've experienced that widgets like gDesklets and the widgets of Cairo Dock seem to freeze the whole screen while they are drawn. So if you are running those you should turn them off while playing Wink

Thank you, guys ^_^

I am glad for so many nice ppl who try to help poor lil' me

Ok, the reason for that weird performance was indeed Compiz-Fusion, so double Kudos to FruitieX.
now, I have at least 73 fps, 150 max (as before) but this time, the performance also feels like that. Yay, finally playable^^.

Luckily, I can deactivate and reactivate via mouse click, so I do not have to pass on my burning windows and wotnot.

Thanks again for you help

(07-14-2010, 03:46 PM)dark mayu Wrote: Thank you, guys ^_^

Ok, the reason for that weird performance was indeed Compiz-Fusion, so double Kudos to FruitieX.
now, I have at least 73 fps, 150 max (as before) but this time, the performance also feels like that. Yay, finally playable^^.

Luckily, I can deactivate and reactivate via mouse click, so I do not have to pass on my burning windows and wotnot.

No problem, glad you got it fixed!
Wish Ubuntu would turn off the desktop effects when the user launches a game...
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

(07-15-2010, 09:26 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(07-14-2010, 03:46 PM)dark mayu Wrote: Thank you, guys ^_^

No problem, glad you got it fixed!
Wish Ubuntu would turn off the desktop effects when the user launches a game...

what about this instead? Could be merged in the linux shell script...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [BUG] A font-rendering performance problem (of upstream DarkPlaces) NaitLee 11 2,828 08-20-2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: NaitLee
  [NEED HELP] Need old rifle model(solved) Kotangens 8 3,149 08-27-2020, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
Question [NEED HELP] How to create warpzones? (solved) Kotangens 10 4,626 08-19-2020, 07:05 AM
Question [NEED HELP] How to use textures for radiant(win version)? (solved) Kotangens 4 2,892 08-12-2020, 01:33 AM
Question [NEED HELP] can't build netradiant (SOLVED) bananovenc 7 4,418 12-25-2019, 03:34 PM
Last Post: illwieckz
  [NEED HELP] Performance on AMD? Aguaumreal 1 2,117 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: Aguaumreal
  [NEED HELP] Netradiant looks weird when i try to open it Taplio 0 1,587 07-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Taplio
  [SOLVED] Weird key hold issue with official version Bloodthorn 9 4,908 05-21-2018, 07:56 AM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
Exclamation [SOLVED] Graphics issues on Intel Kaby Lake (HD630) hardware on Linux cefiar 9 9,474 04-19-2018, 02:42 AM
Last Post: cefiar
  [BUG] Command line typing issues teratorn 5 2,946 04-12-2018, 04:02 AM
Last Post: teratorn