Create an account

Poll: What is your opinion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I want old mixer back!
41.67%
5 41.67%
I like new mixer!
8.33%
1 8.33%
I don't give a 5h1+!
50.00%
6 50.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Music louder than everything else

Hi there!

While playing Nexuiz most of the times I set the music fader higher than master bus fader.

'cuz I love music in Nexuiz (with some minor exceptions)

Now: in Xonotic (If this havent change since I was playing it last time) music fader is under the master bus, so I can't make it louder without setting everything else (one by one Dodgy) lower.

I don't know what was the reason for this change as It seems to me less functional as it was in Nexuiz. Downgrade I would say.

So please, let me know If you care at all, do you like or dislike this change (I'am intentionally not saying "improvement"). And if there is any Dev around, maybe you can tell my what was the reason? Smile

Don't feel attacked by me, it's just a thing that I care about.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I voted for the 3rd option, only because I don't listen to the in-game music while I play Tongue

I find that it sometimes gets in the way of sounds that might give me useful information (e.g. where my opponent is relative to me)
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

It's just a matter of defaults, right? People in Nexuiz might have been annoyed because to get more global volume they had to set every single channel to the max, one by one. Same problem in Nexuiz, thus.

The main reason for this was that because of music triggers, the music can ALSO be controlled by "volume", as it plays on an entity channel too. The goal was to make any music controlled by the same slider, no matter if a music trigger or not.

If you have a better solution, suggest it.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(09-15-2010, 03:00 AM)divVerent Wrote: The main reason for this was that because of music triggers, the music can ALSO be controlled by "volume", as it plays on an entity channel too. The goal was to make any music controlled by the same slider, no matter if a music trigger or not.

If you have a better solution, suggest it.

Hmmm, could you explain what are the music triggers and do we use them in multiplayer games at all? Are those to be used only in story mode where music tracks and volume is changing during the gameplay?

I have no objections to make music relative to global volume level, if there just was an option to give it a gain. Look at this:
Code:
mute   -50 -30 -10  0 +5 +10 [dB]
[ ]    [------------0------] MAIN

[ ]    [------------|---0--] music
[X]    [------------0------] pain
[ ]    [------------0------] stuff
[ ]    [------------0------] ambient
IIRC now the maximum fader value is 0dB. Having also some room for positive values (gain) would solve the problem, beacuse it would be possible to make music louder without touching anything else AND it would be possible to change volume of ALL sounds with one fader (main).
Also a mute option not affecting fader's position would be nice.

How about that?
(09-14-2010, 03:54 PM)ThePWTULN Wrote: I voted for the 3rd option, only because I don't listen to the in-game music while I play Tongue

I find that it sometimes gets in the way of sounds that might give me useful information (e.g. where my opponent is relative to me)

I initially wanted to label the third option with "I'am deaf, you stupid 61+c|-|!" but I changed my mind Wink
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

We'll certainly get people complaining about saturating sounds if we add gain :/

A comparison of the two mixers.

[Image: my6ru7ca55aoprlqr7.png]
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

(09-15-2010, 05:38 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: We'll certainly get people complaining about saturating sounds if we add gain :/

Whatdayamean by "saturating sounds"? Distortions resulting from something being too loud?

The cvars simply do not allow oversaturating, they are capped to 1 by the engine (and if they were not, you'd easily cause clipping).

I simply cannot fix it without removing the music trigger feature. Therefore, I won't.

An example of the music trigger feature is on the augenkrebs map http://rm.endoftheinternet.org/~xonotic/...alpha7.pk3

The engine now allows the cvars to be > 1, although still clamped to 10 to prevent too much harm by someone screwing up the cvar values e.g. via stuffcmd and it then being hard to get back to normal volumes. So music now can be up to 10dB above mastervolume. Is that enough?

(Currently only in master, not in div0-stable yet)

I still see no reason to put this capability in the menu, but you are then free to change the cvars as you wish.

How about automatically choosing music to be playing (from the setting) in a map that has no music; or changing the music currently playing? Some music I don't like much, but I like others much better; it also annoying if the map is silent if you want music.

(09-23-2010, 12:20 AM)divVerent Wrote: (...) music now can be up to 10dB above mastervolume. Is that enough?

+10 dB should be enough for me. Thank you so much Smile What do I have to type in to change the proper cvar?

The channels are not explicitly named sadly. You can find out what cvars the menu controls set by setting the developer and developer_extra cvars to 1 and changing the values from the menu.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Use more music tracks in new maps Lee_Stricklin 2 3,452 02-17-2017, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Tuba in maps other than Xoylent GrEnAdE 6 6,799 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic Story draft (aka oh man this could be worse than physics) Minkovsky 15 17,730 10-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Custom Music Folder jngdwe 8 6,659 08-23-2010, 02:20 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] postapocalyptic ambiance for maps and music _para 12 10,466 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] Weapons and Music Tag_N_Bag 0 2,693 04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Tag_N_Bag
  [SUGGESTION] Who's in charge here? / Music submission changes [=manimal=] 1 3,154 04-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Last Post: lda17h