Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Good Keybind setup for weapon switching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In Quake 3:Arena I can easily switch weapons because I put the weapon keybinds like this.
1:Gauntlet
2:Machine gun(whatever it's called)
3:Shotgun
4:Grenade Launcher
R:Railgun
QTonguelasma Gun
MWheelUP:Lightning gun
MWheeldown:Rocket Launcher
F:BFG

But with Xonotic I have no idea what to put the weapons at for easy switching. Any suggestions?

Also, how much damage does armor absorb?
I use ESDF for movemet, so weapons are located on either sides.
The the left are the explosive weapons.
a Rocket L
w Nad0e L
q Hagar (which sis like plasma, so it is is like yours)
to the right energy weapons
g Nex
r Crylink t Electro
MG and Sg go on top.
shift is for laser
I also use ESDF
but my binds are a little different
3 Laser
W Rocket
Q GrenadeLauncher
A Shotgun
R MG
T Nex
G Crylink
V Hagar
C Electro
SHIFT for hook if there is need
ESDF, that's actually a very goof idea. Coincidentally Those are the standard controls for Tribes 2, didn't think of that xP.
I´ll try both of yours and see which one I like best. Thanks for the suggestion.
Or you can use the powerful mouse scroll like i do!
(12-29-2013, 07:42 AM)Pendulla Wrote: [ -> ]Or you can use the powerful mouse scroll like i do!

Too slow/clunky in my opinion, unless you have like 3 weapons like in team fortress games.
Since there are weapon combos in this game, I think it's pretty important you can switch easily.
I use ESDF with the following weapon binds:

2 - Laser (as it was on "1" when I was playing with WASD and it was the only bind I really got so used to it that I moved it together with wasd)
1 - Shotgun
g - Nex
a - Mortar
r - Rocket
w - Electro
q - Crylink
v - MG
3 and 4 - Hagar (I often mix them up)
t - hook

Have fun experimenting :o)
I personally keep the weapons on their 'equivalent' places from q3 arena, so from your setup the weapons would go like:
1: laser
2: shotgun (starting weapon)
3: crylink (similar to a shotgun in a way imo)
4: mortar
R: nex
Q: hagar
MWheelUp: machine gun/uzi
WheelDown: rocket launcher
F: electro (damage with the electro combo is pretty much bfg level Tongue)
(12-29-2013, 08:02 AM)dylstew Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-29-2013, 07:42 AM)Pendulla Wrote: [ -> ]Or you can use the powerful mouse scroll like i do!

Too slow/clunky in my opinion, unless you have like 3 weapons like in team fortress games.
Since there are weapon combos in this game, I think it's pretty important you can switch easily.

Well i don't use only mouse scroll ffs. It is impossible with a game that has this many weapons and with alternate fire too. I use e for previously used weapon and f for best weapon switch so i can easily reset my scrolling Smile Also there is a way to set your weapon priority list which i really like. And last but not least i use middle mouse click for quick access to laser gun Smile
I think that the mousewheel isnt very good becouse it is difficult to use. It takes over the left finger which is needed for shooting.
Lol! Look at all these intensive keybinds! xD In the most part I leave mostly everything by default.
Q - Previous weapon
E - Next Weapon
F - Hook
Mousewheel up - Lazor

I'm screwed, if I where to have over 6 weapons in my inventory. Tongue But yeah, this is my classic controls for "slower" FPS games as well (z and x are for leaning in tactical FPS).

I don't know about you guys, but I like to keep my FPS setup consistent, so it doesn't feel weird for me to go from a twitch shooter to a tactical shooter.
Well, you dont have to worry about Weapon Combos in Arma either. ( but there you have to manage ACRE binds wich is just equally annoying Big Grin)
Somewhere in the time Bad Company 2 realeased I got really annoyed with weaon switching using the mouse wheel. So I got used to press 1 - 4 to change my weapons.
I just think its more conveniet to change directly to the weapon you want without going through every weapon you have or might now have.
@Matoro: Ehm, you are playing Minsta, right? Wink That´s why your keybinds are that plain. Tongue Dude...
(01-02-2014, 02:13 PM)Maddin Wrote: [ -> ]@Matoro: Ehm, you are playing Minsta, right? Wink That´s why your keybinds are that plain. Tongue Dude...

Not playing minsta! I hate that game mode! I do fine with these "almost" default controls. I just don't see myself carrying over 5 weapons on a map. So that is why weapon switching is just easy for me. And almost every time I have to use the lazor anyway. I can simply scroll up for it.

Although, I would have to admit that juggling players with a combo of weapons can be a little tricky for me. :o
Then I´d recommend trying out to use single keys for each important weapon. I used to switch weapons the same way you do and had the same problems. Now I have the surrounding keys bound to each weapon I use normally, it was a bit clumsy at the beginning but definitely worth it.