Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Need help deciding on layout for profile tab
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, i'm currently working on some final parts of my menu updates coming for 0.8 and i've run into a bit of a dilemma... The dialog design that i'm working on really makes it difficult to present its contents in a clean and efficient way, so i'm curious if I could get some opinions on what everyone thinks would look best here. I've taken some screenshots-- simply vote on the variation you like most. I can also swap some simple things, like the ordering of the Gender and Country selection areas. Here is the album link: http://imgur.com/a/crdV9

Note that eventually i'd like to replace the playermodel display with something far more desirable (real 3D render of the model, and perhaps model customization if we ever proceed with my playermodel ideas.) Additionally, I already plan to replace the advanced text/symbol box underneath the names with a new font set, and we should be able to reduce the size of that section... So keep that in mind with your suggestions.

Oh, and ignore the fact that the country list currently is actually the language list. Smile That'll be fixed soon.
Variation #3 since the player is on top there not hidden in a corner -> breaks up menu -> no two list selects (with different widths!!!!!) under each other.

However Gender selection should be directly under the Player model preview since it belongs to the player settings (unlike the language selection).

So #3 with swapped Language and Gender selection.

(Side comment: Why do we need age and weight display? When i started nexuiz i got really confused by those since i thought it would have an impact on the game... Maybe remove them?)

Regards,
Ablu
My vote is for 4 and 2 as well if it was possible to submit multiple votes, reason: the blue hue in the background makes some boxes stand out in other variations, it looks unprofessional and hasty. It isn't as much notable in variations 4 and 2.
I think the stats thing should be either in die bottom left or right, so 1# or 3#. While 1# looks certainly more familiar I tend towards 3# because the horizontal split between "text stuff" and "color stuff" looks more appealing to me than the vertical split in 1#.
(01-26-2014, 01:49 PM)Ablu Wrote: [ -> ]Variation #3 since the player is on top there not hidden in a corner -> breaks up menu -> no two list selects (with different widths!!!!!) under each other.

However Gender selection should be directly under the Player model preview since it belongs to the player settings (unlike the language selection).

So #3 with swapped Language and Gender selection.

(Side comment: Why do we need age and weight display? When i started nexuiz i got really confused by those since i thought it would have an impact on the game... Maybe remove them?)

Regards,
Ablu
Sure I can try that.

Also, http://46.4.83.5:27500/poll/186 -- planned that a long time ago.
Why would we need a "gender" setting? I gather, it's not about the gender of the player model but about the player? Honestly, games asking me whether I am male or female come across extremely fishy to me.

Also, I would rename the "Country" caption to "Language".
(01-26-2014, 02:29 PM)Halogene Wrote: [ -> ]Why would we need a "gender" setting? I gather, it's not about the gender of the player model but about the player? Honestly, games asking me whether I am male or female come across extremely fishy to me.

http://46.4.83.5:27500/poll/187

And no, that is intended to be a real country list later. Read the last line of the OP.
There is no option for "Other" or "None" hurhururhur.
What bugs me is that the 'Country' list has a different size than the statistics list.
I voted for #3 too, with swapped country and gender selection. Same might work for #4 too.
I vote for #6, as it is visually and logically the cleanest.

- Left half for apperance settings
- Left aligned color selection
- Right half for stats/info
- Stats at the top, since I consider it most relevant

But I agree with Maddin, the Country list needs to be the same width as the Statistics list.
(01-26-2014, 02:29 PM)Halogene Wrote: [ -> ]Why would we need a "gender" setting? I gather, it's not about the gender of the player model but about the player? Honestly, games asking me whether I am male or female come across extremely fishy to me.

(01-26-2014, 03:30 PM)Mirui Wrote: [ -> ]There is no option for "Other" or "None" hurhururhur.

Right. That's a bit exclusionary. Since it's only about pronouns and we only need categories, I suggest to call the third one "Other / Undetermined". That's not optimal for the question that's asked, but it is for the practical use of the information.
We discussed it on IRC and the solution for the gender question seems to be to ask how the player would like his model/avatar/nick to be addressed in-game, so the question is actually only adressing the fictive person the player is impersonating and not the player itself.
2 and 6 are the most consistent in my opinion. I'd prefer to see gender selection below player model as Ablu noticed.
I'm going to vote for the #5.

It's the best. Don't ask, I'm always correct.

Have a nice day Tongue
#6 if i had so select one. There is multiple (some simple) ways to make it cleaner, tough.

A quick mock-up to get rid of some of the worst redundancy:
[Image: QeqkuUpl.jpg]
Elements would need to get shifted around a bit more of course (to lazy to shop that). Making language selection a dropdown box would make plenty of sense. So would Giving statistics its own tab.