Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Shall we have a music contest with the map contest?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Topic

Shall we have an official music contest to go alone with the official Duel Mapping Contest 2015?

Options

1. I support this idea, and plan to participate by submitting music.
  2. I support the idea, although I probably won't (be able to) submit any music.
  3. I support the idea, but I'd like things done differently. (Please explain your idea in this thred.)
  4. Don't bother. Just let the mappers or the core team pick existing music for the winning maps.
  5. Don't bother. We don't need new music.

Explanation

I proposed that we have an official music contest to go along with the map contest a while ago, but haven't got many responses (see the original brainstorming of the map contest and discussion) so I want to make sure it's worth doing before committing resources into this.

The poll will close in 7 days (that's 2:20 Jun 8th, 2015 UTC).
bump for poll.
Yes, I like the idea and I'll actually try to participste , even thought I can't make music Big Grin
Thanks a lot, @aa. Music is a language and everyone can say something in it.

We do need more interested people to make this happen. People, please vote!
The importance of music to a game is largely underrated. Games I don't really even play anymore still get their soundtracks played occasionally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iznoMeB4GYE
This still reminds me of dot-com boom, everyone playing fps'es, Quake2 the "be-all" hardware benchmark, napster, and making $$$ in north carolina. Good times.
Thank you all for voting, and thank you @aa and @Ogger73 for publicly support this idea!

Here's the snapshot result at the end of the poll period:
Code:
3    27.27%    I support this idea, and plan to participate by submitting music.
7    63.64%    I support the idea, although I probably won't (be able to) submit any music.
0    0%    I support the idea, but I'd like things done differently. (Please explain your idea in this thred.)
0    0%    Don't bother. Just let the mappers or the core team pick existing music for the winning maps.
1    9.09%    Don't bother. We don't need new music.

91% of the voters support the idea, and among these supportive people, 30% are interested in submitting soundtracks.

Although I wish the total voting population were larger, it's actually not too far from the number of the usual voters, considering the poll only opened for a short period of time. This is as good as we can get now. I think we should go ahead and do it.

Please continue the discussion in this thread.