Xonotic Forums

Full Version: insult makes us look bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Lately there seems to have more and more players shouting inappropriate insults as fun. Some get offended and start voting spam.

I myself can easily ignore ignorant comments and just focus on the game play, but I really hesitate recommending Xonotic and Jeff & Julius' server to friends, because such insulting culture really doesn't make Xonotic and its player base, including me, look good.

I would probably mute/ban the players if they misbehave on my server (and if I happen to be on), but that's really not a good solution (besides, I'm a lazy admin). I'd rather for our community to build a healthier and friendlier culture, to be more inclusive and welcoming, and thus become more sustainable.

However, I'm not quite sure how such messages can get across.

Thoughts?
If it becomes a problem just disable chat from the HUD editor. That is all you can really do for now.
(04-21-2016, 08:21 PM)SPLAT Wrote: [ -> ]If it becomes a problem just disable chat from the HUD editor. That is all you can really do for now.

Well, it's how the community looks to new players that concerns me; or more of what the community is growing into.
I left yesterday on Jeff & Julius's server the person got me banned there was there and Jeff hasn't banned him since August.
You can still recommend Xonotic and not recommend this server respectively suggest 'better' servers.

Apparantly Jeffs server is favourited by this kind of clientele, so it's up to him to take care of this or not.

I can only speak for WTWRP/pacman servers: We care about the playing experience. Therefore we monitor the server chat and if it is necessary we hand out kicks or bans. If you have trouble there, highlight packer or me by typing our nicks.
Well when I use to run my servers the vehicle one was quite bad for vulgar language. Most of it came from players from a certain part of the world. I don't really hold it against anyone but a couple of perma bans and the bad language will subside.
Of all the shooters I've played, this community here is the friendliest and softest. But I haven't been on Jeff's servers very much, so I might be a bit uninformed. Banning ppl for bad language is a bit too much in my opinion, unless in extreme cases, where a player joins for the sake of insulting and writing crap in chat, rather than playing, and after a number of kicks, rejoins and keeps it up for example. As SPLAT said, turning off chat might be a great idea for a temporary solution in such emergency situations, if you are getting very offended. For a more permanent solution, admins have to be more involved. So what does Jeff say about this? Have you talked to him?

Btw, there is this neat thing my admin dictator friend sometimes does in these situations. Instead of banning or kicking a player, just mute his chat. That way you can still kill the offender and write "HAHA owned" in chat, without expecting any rude reply Wink
To be fair, Jeff's servers are among the most popular and therefore most attractive to trolls.
In my experience on the DM server, there is only one regular player who tries to get attention with offensive messages.
Everyone else is pleasant to play with. Though I might be playing at the wrong (or right) times.

I wonder if it would be possible to shadow-ban a disruptive player on the server side, i.e. to mute their messages without them knowing?
EDIT: dekrY was a bit faster with this suggestion Big Grin
Oh since you were in Jeff's, then you were probably insulted by XSAX, also goes by with a smiley face symbol for nickname. And if it was something else, you can recognize him from the way he's using the word gay a lot and writing incomprehensible sentences. We've all learnt to ignore him, because apparently that's his thing and his english is too primitive to be taken seriously anyway.
Yes that is the guy I'm talking about, it took me a week to get unbanned because of that smiley guy.

(04-22-2016, 06:16 AM)dekrY Wrote: [ -> ]Of all the shooters I've played, this community here is the friendliest and softest. But I haven't been on Jeff's servers very much, so I might be a bit uninformed. Banning ppl for bad language is a bit too much in my opinion, unless in extreme cases, where a player joins for the sake of insulting and writing crap in chat, rather than playing, and after a number of kicks, rejoins and keeps it up for example. As SPLAT said, turning off chat might be a great idea for a temporary solution in such emergency situations, if you are getting very offended. For a more permanent solution, admins have to be more involved. So what does Jeff say about this? Have you talked to him?

Btw, there is this neat thing my admin dictator friend sometimes does in these situations. Instead of banning or kicking a player, just mute his chat. That way you can still kill the offender and write "HAHA owned" in chat, without expecting any rude reply Wink

Yes we had this issue for a long time we have been kicking him every time he logged on and he also spawn kills with vehicles on the warfare server every time here is there too.
(04-21-2016, 05:57 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: [ -> ]Lately there seems to have more and more players shouting inappropriate insults as fun. Some get offended and start voting spam.

I myself can easily ignore ignorant comments and just focus on the game play, but I really hesitate recommending Xonotic and Jeff & Julius' server to friends, because such insulting culture really doesn't make Xonotic and its player base, including me, look good.

I would probably mute/ban the players if they misbehave on my server (and if I happen to be on), but that's really not a good solution (besides, I'm a lazy admin). I'd rather for our community to build a healthier and friendlier culture, to be more inclusive and welcoming, and thus become more sustainable.

However, I'm not quite sure how such messages can get across.

Thoughts?

I see no problem here.

¿Gay? ¿Fuck you? It is more childish than offensive.

What I dont like are players without a bit of education: no "hi", no "good game", quitters, etc. That's what bothers me, not a succession of "gay" and "fu".

You seem a bit susceptible, BuddyFriendGuy. Wink
Quote:¿Gay? ¿Fuck you? It is more childish than offensive.

What I dont like are players without a bit of education: no "hi", no "good game", quitters, etc. That's what bothers me, not a succession of "gay" and "fu".

You seem a bit susceptible, BuddyFriendGuy. Wink

xsax is the source of problems here I understand... Well he is definitely not limited to just "gay" and "fu". You should checkout other stuff he says in quotes db. Also I believe its his sarcastic attitude toward terrorist attacks in paris that got him perma banned on some servers. This guy is not your regular "gay, fu" troll. He is more offensive than that, so stop diminishing his insult levels. I heard some messed up things from him. Most of the time he is funny, because of the stupid things he says and his funny english, other times just chills me to the bones. Well, he is admins' responsibility. Its up to them what kind of atmosphere they want to set up on their servers. Just sharing my 5 cents on this matter
Its easy to get rid of XSAX just announce in the chat/irc that he's your gay lover. Buddy hates that and quits soon after.

The only time I've seen vulgar language was on my vehicle server and it was mostly I believe Russian players. There was quite a few of them back then playing the game. Like I said I banned them and it stopped, some even started to behave when I let them back in.
Again, my concern is not personal. I can easily ignore them -- even continuous voting spams don't really bother me. I just play the game. Win or lose, it's always fun for me.

However, my real concern is how it reflects the (in-)decency of our community, or more accurately, Jeff and Julius's community, in which it's OK to make fun of other people's orientation (really? 2016?) by cowardly hiding behind anonymity, or joke about terrorist attacks, or spam the game chat. Perhaps it's cultural difference; it looks like in Julius' environment, behaviors like that are fine and less serious than no greetings. It certainly is not like that here.

Anyway, I don't intend to start political wars here. I was just saying that such culture may exclude players, which Xonotic needs more of.

On the other hand, perhaps having an honeypot there as a natural player sorting mechanism isn't a bad thing after all.
I'm with BuddyFriendGuy on this one, this needs to stop right here.
The problem with XSAX is that he is actually a very loyal troll that has been with this community already since Nexuiz times. As offending as his insults may seem, he can be quite reasonable if dealt appropriately with. My personal strategy (that worked very well on DCC servers with him back then when they were populated) is to "translate" his insults, which makes me reply with "ty" whenever he comments me fragging him with obscene language. That works surprisingly well, and nowadays we greet each other ("GAYLOGENE HI)))") when we meet. Also he usually stops annoying trolling actions such as hiding with the flag or teamkilling on DCC when I start to seriously ask him to do so because it breaks fun for everyone. He has been reported to be capable of surprisingly reasonable discussion when in the mood.

In my opinion there are far worse trolls around, though I agree that meeting XSAX during first contact with Xonotic may detrimentally affect your first impression of the Xonotic player community.
I don't know how old you are or how much experience you have with
multiplayer games and trolls, but there is a simple rule: Don't feed the troll.
The bigger of a deal you are making out of it, the more oxygen you are adding to the fire.

I recommend you to read this article, which accurately describes this very situation and how to deal with it:
http://99u.com/articles/25151/dont-feed-...rmer-troll
BuddyFriendGuy are you new to the internet? If you are, this is how the internet works. Just ignore him.
Thanks everyone for all the wisdom!
It is interesting that people defend trolls like XSAX and think his behaviour is somewhat acceptable.
As dekrY already said, his jokes are not limited to "gay" and "fu". Many of his jokes are fare more insulting.

I do not want to tell XSAX to reduce his insults and trolling behaviour every time he joins a server.
And his jokes about terrorism in Europe were not acceptable at all, no matter from which point of view.

So XSAX is banned on all servers I maintain.
I trust your judgement.
(04-24-2016, 05:36 AM)ItsMe Wrote: [ -> ]So XSAX is banned on all servers I maintain.

I witnessed his execution. The sun was very bright that day, shining down on packer's ancient banhammer as he raised it over xsax. There was short silence. "Any final words?" he said. "MI BALL COLOR))))" xsax replied. BAAAAAAAAAM! The sound echoed across the world of xonotic, followed by happy cheering of children and birds singing.
Anyhow, there are worse people than XSAX on that server around.

But I noticed that jeff already threatened them with bans yesterday. Smile #progress
To be honest, I feel irritated that people even take XSAX seriously. I've been trying so hard to be a certified troll and this guy achieves it with minimum effort.
Being irritated by players is understandable, but there is a choice what to do with things that may offend you. Something like this is too subjective and would be tricky trying to implement anything to ban or remove players because they say ridiculous things that a certain percentage are bothered by.

In terms of first impressions of the game, the swearing can be shrugged off when the game play is good, the servers are active and run smoothly. Its 2016 and trolling is far from new.

Love,

Me
Pages: 1 2 3 4