Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Server Administration Wiki needs your knowledge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Whatever.
(08-29-2017, 10:27 PM)Lyberta Wrote: [ -> ]I have started writing the wiki section on server administration, here are the current contents:

Tutorials Configuration Troubleshooting
If you have any comments or suggestions and don't want to register on GitLab, post here.

For server votes you can do something like this as an example Use settemp to only set the new voteĀ settings for the current game, it'll revert to normal server settings on map/game change.

alias 8bots "settemp minplayers 9"
addvote 8bots
@forum_admin, can we make this one sticky? This is helpful for new server admins.
(01-10-2018, 11:51 PM)Lyberta Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-10-2018, 11:10 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: [ -> ]@forum_admin, can we make this one sticky? This is helpful for new server admins.

Probably need to edit the first post to point to the wiki itself so it won't get outdated. But there is no dedicated wiki page for server administration.
Probably also change the title to "New Server Admins Read this" or something similar.

Good point about a starting point for new admins in the wiki.

I also think we should include a complete downloadable server.cfg that includes the most common use cases (e.g. voting screens for game types and maps) to start with.
(01-11-2018, 12:35 AM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: [ -> ]I also think we should include a complete downloadable server.cfg that includes the most common use cases (e.g. voting screens for game types and maps) to start with.

We do, it's in the Xonotic/server folder, together with a readme. Feel free to improve it and link to a wiki page from the readme and/or server.cfg. The docs we provide offline (in the Xonotic/Docs sobfolder) sorely need updating. Ideally we'd merge them into the wiki so things aren't repeated everywhere with varying levels of outdatedness and maybe incude a copy of some pages with the game for offline use.
Talking about server configs and votes.
Here are configs with long history for inspiration Smile
https://github.com/packer-/server-configs
(01-11-2018, 03:13 AM)martin-t Wrote: [ -> ]We do, it's in the Xonotic/server folder, together with a readme. Feel free to improve it and link to a wiki page from the readme and/or server.cfg. The docs we provide offline (in the Xonotic/Docs sobfolder) sorely need updating. Ideally we'd merge them into the wiki so things aren't repeated everywhere with varying levels of outdatedness and maybe incude a copy of some pages with the game for offline use.

I agree we should have just one place of truth, but should have multiple pointers to that one place. A readme file might not be obviously. Improving the wiki sounds like a good way to help it.

(01-11-2018, 04:36 AM)It\sMe Wrote: [ -> ]Talking about server configs and votes.
Here are configs with long history for inspiration Smile
https://github.com/packer-/server-configs

These are very good (I, too, based mine on packer's). However, it might be a bit too overwhelming for new admins.