Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Defining custom particle effect types
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, according to a note at the bottom of This reference page on DarkPlaces particle effects.
Quote:The Engine now appends mapname_effectinfo.txt to effectinfo.txt. In other words you can create additional effects for your map without changing effectinfo.txt
So, I'm trying to define a new particle effect to use. I'm basically after a large fluffy billowing smoke effect to have emitting from this smoke stack:
[attachment=1816]

The pipe_smoke effect kinda looks a little like what I want, though it's a bit thin, small and short-lived for my tastes. Still, I'm using it as a starting point to define my own effects, so I've tweaked it a bit to have larger particles.
~/.xonotic/data/epsilon-b4_effectinfo.txt 
Code:
effect big_stack_smoke
       type smoke
       airfriction -1
       alpha 32 64 48
       color 0x999999 0x555555
       count 8
       gravity -0.015000
       rotate 0 360 -180 180
       sizeincrease 35
       size 20 40
       tex 0 8
       velocityjitter 0 0 5
       velocitymultiplier 15
I then define the func_pointparticles as follows:
Code:
"classname" "func_pointparticles"
"mdl" "big_stack_smoke"
"impulse" "0.6"
"velocity" "0 0 10"
"type" "smoke"
"count" "12"
But it doesn't appear to be working at all. Is there anyone with a bit more experience with this aspect of DarkPlaces / Xonotic particle effects who is able to help out?
The text file needs to be in the maps directory, not data. Tarx is a working reference: https://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=1676
Ooh, that was all I needed. A little bit of tweaking and the cooling tower now has steam pouring out Big Grin
Thanks for your help Big Grin
[attachment=1817]