Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Textures: Xonotic Items as decals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Julius Xon-Items Decal Set

File: j-xon_items_v1.0.zip
License: GPL v2
 Author: Xonotic & Julius

This is a small set comprised of 48 decal textures made from some SVG source files taken from Xonotic.

[attachment=2000]

[attachment=2001]

[attachment=2002]

The shader for every texture is like this:

Code:
textures/j-xon_items/i_armor
{
    qer_editorImage textures/j-xon/items/i_armor.tga
    qer_alphaFunc gequal 0.5

polygonOffset
    noPicMip

//q3map_vertexScale 0.75

surfaceparm trans
    surfaceparm nonsolid
    surfaceparm pointlight

{
        map textures/j-xon/items/i_armor.tga
        rgbGen vertex
        // (source * alpha) + (dest * (1 - alpha))  <= Alpha blend
        blendFunc blend
    }
}

Some words related to the shaders:

- Lighting method: VERTEX-LIT

“surfaceparm pointlight” and “rgbGen vertex” shader directives are used to set these textures to be
    vertex-lit so they are faster to render because no lightmaps are used. Keep in mind that no lightmaps
    means no shadows are cast on these surfaces.

- Some explanations for other shader directives:

polygonOffset                                  ;this avoids z-fight rendering the texture separated from the surface.

noPicMip                                          ;this ignores the gl_picmip cvar (textures resolution).

q3map_vertexScale N.N                ;this is a multiplier for the sampled light at vertices. Understand it as
                                                                a way to increase or decrease the amount of light hitting the surface.

surfaceparm trans                          ;this does not set transparency. It sets the surface to no VIS-blocking,
                                                                no Shadow casting (*1) & no Bounced light (*2).

(*1): It cast shadows if accompanied with "surfaceparm alphashadow". The alpha-channel image will be
               the shadowcaster.

(*2): I do not understand why Bounced-light is disabled here. It doesn't make sense to me. Note that I'm
               not a coder so I can't read q3map2 sources to know what this directive does exactly.

surfaceparm nonsolid                     ;this disables the collisions with players and projectiles
    surfaceparm pointlight                    ;this forces vertex lighting for this surface

{
    blendFunc blend                              ;alpha blend
    }

"blendFunc blend" is the equation that tells the game engine how it should mix the different graphical
    layers:

- equation:    (source * alpha) + (dest * (1 - alpha))
      - explicit:        blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA
      - shorthand:  blendFunc blend

"souce" represents the texture itself.
      "alpha" is the black & white mask contained in the alpha-channel.
      “dest” is the content of the frame-buffer (the background image with which to blend the texture).

More info from the shader manual: blendFunc

Ok, that's all for now. Any comment will be really appreciated. Wink

-
Quality stuff, looks usable even out of Xonaughtic lore.