Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Server ideas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, let's just share ideas for interesting servers. I have a few but don't have a server, would be great if someone made these happen.

- Epic wars: extremely long games without fraglimit/leadlimit (and with no vcall endmatch). Imagine e.g. a single week long game of CA, you'd go to sleep and continue the same battle tomorrow.
- Pacifist: "social experiment", DM server where players should not attack other players. This wouldn't be enforced by the game or bans, just written in server title, description and chat announcements, and a warning should appear when you attack someone. Players could do things like chat, explore maps, play pacifist games like races or hide and seek, just not attack others. Would be curious to see how many would break the rules.
- Super bots: server where players could duel (or play other modes) with ridiculously good bots, like my superbots.
- Votable everything: obvious one, but I'd like to see a server like this without addition BS like walljumps or vehicles. The server should by default be just as the normal vanilla servers, just with most things being possible to call votes on, like weapon arenas, mutators, gravity, slowmo etc.
Hmm ... How about my addition to the game, which will completely change almost all weapons? unless of course download and enter exec XonoticMod.cfg. He can transform some weapons into unrecognizability. (Link see below)
or alias kotamod "exec XonoticMod.cfg; restart"; alias defaults "exec balance-xonotic.cfg" (Votable)
(08-18-2020, 10:23 AM)Kotangens Wrote: [ -> ]Hmm ... How about my addition to the game, which will completely change almost all weapons? unless of course download and enter exec XonoticMod.cfg. He can transform some weapons into unrecognizability. (Link see below)
or alias kotamod "exec XonoticMod.cfg; restart"; alias defaults "exec balance-xonotic.cfg" (Votable)

I think that he already knows something about how cfg scripts work and how to write code inside cfg files. drummyfish is giving the ideas because he needs some tips. Maybe, the experts, who know about the topic, can help to improve these things.

drummyfish:

There are more ideas that could be tested:

- Using mods from other people or developing one (this will take the process to develop its own mod for the game that they want, they will need to compile the code and overwrite the progs.dat, csprogs.dat, menu.dat for the server).
SMB modpack is a big example, but you can develop your own code from Xonotic code base (xonotic-data.pk3dir) or use other branches, for example: mirceakitsune's branch or someone's branch, and compile.
- Try to use the nades, I don't know how the balance is in the game and if it's balanced, I don't remember if the people here talked about the balance of nades.
Another one:

Xonotic University/Challenges: Players would engage in randomly generated matches which would try to focus on different aspects of the game. Instead of maps players would vote for specific matches, e.g. "finalrage CA, deva only" (for just training devastator aiming) or "solarium TDM, slowmo 0.2" (would make you more focused on planning your moves) or even races (would teach you movement). By playing these you could master each weapon and each aspect of the game.
I now have public IP and can run my own server and try these ideas. The server is on only when I turn on my computer and start it for now, but if anyone wants, here is my config:
https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/my_text_da...config.cfg
Firstly I wanted to make multiple servers for different things, but I've simply made one server and made everything votable, so you can e.g. vote on "duel_superbot" or just change come cvars as you wish. If you mess the server up, there is a vote to restore default settings.
(08-29-2020, 09:03 AM)drummyfish Wrote: [ -> ]I now have public IP and can run my own server and try these ideas. The server is on only when I turn on my computer and start it for now, but if anyone wants, here is my config:
https://gitlab.com/drummyfish/my_text_da...config.cfg
Firstly I wanted to make multiple servers for different things, but I've simply made one server and made everything votable, so you can e.g. vote on "duel_superbot" or just change come cvars as you wish. If you mess the server up, there is a vote to restore default settings.

where did you get the public IP address from?
(08-29-2020, 10:05 AM)Kotangens Wrote: [ -> ]where did you get the public IP address from?

My ISP Wink I simply wrote them a mail, they called me and enabled it, completely for free. Try it, I'd like to visit your server.
(08-18-2020, 05:31 AM)drummyfish Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, let's just share ideas for interesting servers. I have a few but don't have a server, would be great if someone made these happen.

- Epic wars: extremely long games without fraglimit/leadlimit (and with no vcall endmatch). Imagine e.g. a single week long game of CA, you'd go to sleep and continue the same battle tomorrow.
- Pacifist: "social experiment", DM server where players should not attack other players. This wouldn't be enforced by the game or bans, just written in server title, description and chat announcements, and a warning should appear when you attack someone. Players could do things like chat, explore maps, play pacifist games like races or hide and seek, just not attack others. Would be curious to see how many would break the rules.
- Super bots: server where players could duel (or play other modes) with ridiculously good bots, like my superbots.
- Votable everything: obvious one, but I'd like to see a server like this without addition BS like walljumps or vehicles. The server should by default be just as the normal vanilla servers, just with most things being possible to call votes on, like weapon arenas, mutators, gravity, slowmo etc.

I would be really interested in a similar mode to payload in TF2 where moving the bombcart required some kind of movement skill. Perhaps you would have to jump over the cart and hit a target on the inside of it to activate it moving forward and the defenders would try to hit a button that did the opposite (requiring the vulnerability of players launching high into the air would be key I think). Ok, this is really a custom map/game mode idea and less a server idea.

Ok heres a potentially more feasible idea

-Spawn Wars A team variant where the spawn points on maps have buttons that you can switch to your teams color. Once you switch a spawn point to your teams color only your team spawns there. You win when the enemy team can't spawn and has no players left.
Maybe Online Training mode?
It could be applied for any other mode.
In this mode we have one or more Arbiters/Trainers who observes the game between players/Teams.
Arbiters/Trainers can pause game at any moment to instruct players/Teams.
Think of it as live Xonotic coaching.
For some reason I missed your original post back in August. I just want to say I think those ideas are really fun! Almost like an action art in itself.