Xonotic Forums
Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - General (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? (/showthread.php?tid=1146)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Halogene - 10-27-2010

Nationality: German
Native language: German (surprise!)
Other languages: English, Finnish

I strongly recommend everybody to learn Finnish as a foreign language. It is the most beautiful language I ever encountered.

Plus, it is spoken by almost nobody (in relation to the world's population).

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Exitium - 10-27-2010

(10-27-2010, 06:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Nationality: German

I strongly recommend everybody to learn Finnish as a foreign language. It is the most beautiful language I ever encountered.

Finnish beautiful? Big Grin This is kinda odd, because you're not the first non-Finnish who has said that Finnish is beautiful. But to be honest, as a Finn, I think Finnish is kinda graceless and hard language.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Spyz - 10-27-2010

(10-27-2010, 06:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Nationality: German

And the hardest language to learn in Europe.. and it's not even an Indo-European language! (No relation to any other language in Europe). And since it's only spoken by barely 5 million people, how are you planning on practising it?

I've tried before with Norwegian, but everybody just replies in perfect English, so what's the point? Sad

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Halogene - 10-27-2010

(10-27-2010, 07:01 AM)Exitium Wrote: Finnish beautiful? Big Grin This is kinda odd, because you're not the first non-Finnish who has said that Finnish is beautiful. But to be honest, as a Finn, I think Finnish is kinda graceless and hard language.

I know that Finns tend to think of their own language as harsh, but I find the Finnish people have a very sweet way of using their language. Like using "pösö" for "peugeot". Or "Bemu" for "BMW". This does not apply to cars only, but those are examples that came to my head now. Like "mersu" for "Mercedes". Big Grin

And it is only harsh if foreigners (like Germans Tongue) speak it. They just don't know how to pronounce soft consonants.

Oh, I start to get carried away and leading this thread off topic. I should stop. Smile

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - monad - 10-27-2010

I'm Basque Tongue
Other languages: Spanish, English

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Rage_ATWM - 10-27-2010

then we here have a battle for the weirdest european language: Finnish VS Basque.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Spyz - 10-27-2010

(10-27-2010, 10:21 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: then we here have a battle for the weirdest european language: Finnish VS Basque.

Basque imo. It's the only language that has absolutely no relation to any other European language. It's definitely unique and very special.

But also, from what I've seen.. BLOOMING HARD! Smile

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Dokujisan - 10-27-2010

Stupid American here.
English (sort of)
Dabbled in Japanese before.

I once ate some shrooms and thought I could speak hindi, but I was wrong.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Antibody - 10-27-2010

English. However, if you get me angry I might resort to my "angry New York English" language, which is something altogether different.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - jaykay - 10-27-2010

i'm german, and i speak german. and english. and i can read some latin Big Grin

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Liquid Sin - 10-28-2010

(10-26-2010, 02:48 PM)booo Wrote: also @liquid sin: white ?wtf? i hope its some sort of a joke : )

I speak English and happen to be white this is all you people need to know. (waits for the you people? post)

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Halogene - 10-28-2010

What are you waiting for? A "you people?" post? Don't get it.

Anyhow what you seem to be provoking is some kind of statement that skin colours don't have to do anything with nationalities nor languages. So let's all just acknowledge such statement was hereby made by me and get back to the topic of which languages you actually speak and where you're from.

I have learnt some french and latin too, but don't actually speak any of them.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Rage_ATWM - 10-28-2010

(10-28-2010, 12:49 AM)Liquid Sin Wrote: this is all you people need to know.
Nah, we needn't.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - monad - 10-28-2010

(10-27-2010, 10:21 AM)Rage_ATWM Wrote: then we here have a battle for the weirdest european language: Finnish VS Basque.
Finnish winsBig Grin

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - naryl - 10-28-2010

Nationality: Russian
Native language: Russian
Other languages: English

And... Finnish and it's soft consonants are not weird at all. :P

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Liquid Sin - 10-28-2010

(10-28-2010, 02:56 AM)Halogene Wrote: What are you waiting for? A "you people?" post? Don't get it.

Anyhow what you seem to be provoking is some kind of statement that skin colours don't have to do anything with nationalities nor languages. So let's all just acknowledge such statement was hereby made by me and get back to the topic of which languages you actually speak and where you're from.
seriously don't take things so serious, if you lol'd good for you if not then move on.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Halogene - 10-28-2010

(10-28-2010, 12:40 PM)Liquid Sin Wrote: seriously don't take things so serious, if you lol'd good for you if not then move on.

I did. Tongue

(move on, I mean)

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - DJZelDarK - 11-03-2010

Nationality: France
Main language: French
Other languages: Spanish and English

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - MaidenBeast - 11-04-2010

Nationality: Italian
Main/Native language: Italian
Other languages: English and a little bit of French

I have to say that i speak italian with a little (or big? :-p) influence of Roman dialect Big Grin

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - unfa - 11-05-2010

Great income Smile Big thanks for taking part Smile I'am gonna make a list of nationalities/languages soon and place it in the first post, so those who think that something is missing can react Smile I think that this list can be also helpful if this idea comes to life.

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - FraNcoTirAdoR - 11-09-2010

Language: hungarian
Spoken languages: hungarian, english, german

And just won the battle for the weirdest european language ;P

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - Halogene - 11-10-2010

Well hungary is sort of on an equally weirdo level with finnish isn't it. Only european languages with "ugrian" roots. Or however they are called.

HEEEY Welcome to the forums, Francotirador! Long time no see!

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - node357 - 11-11-2010

Canada, British English (about 2 words different from US English).

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - CrrazzyRulezz - 11-11-2010

Im German
native language is germanWink
Other languages are english (middle),french (bad) and indonesian (bad-mid)

RE: Preparation: what's your nationality / native language? - rainerzufalldererste - 11-14-2010

German, too!
Languages: German, English, Spanish, Latin (-.-)