Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Pointers at Teammates - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Pointers at Teammates (/showthread.php?tid=1026)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Pointers at Teammates - unfa - 09-30-2010

(09-30-2010, 08:20 AM)Halogene Wrote: Then you'd see them through walls - the downside is significantly increased traffic as the 3d locations of all team mates need to be communicated constantly.

Well. Personally I don't use 2d map, as I don't have many time to look at it Smile

I think that visible through walls markers (let them first be just wahat we already have - we'll improve them if the base works) would be much more useful.

Server also doesn't need to send all info about all team mates to client constanlty - only about those who could be seen through walls. Players behind you are unknown until you turn around to see their markes through walls. Some optimisation can be introduced here as well.

RE: Pointers at Teammates - clanclanclan - 09-30-2010

Something I'd like to see integrated into the pointer information is whether the player is attacking, roaming, defending, afk, or has the flag. Perhaps, instead of circumflexes, the icons could be shields (for defence) lightning bolts (for attack), flags (for FC, or perhaps for people chasing FC), and a running stick figure (for roaming)?

RE: Pointers at Teammates - nifrek - 10-01-2010

Voted yes, and imo ideally it should be a server setting AND client setting. So servers with a lot of players could disable it if it takes too much bandwidth and client could disable it if he finds it annoying.

I find radar is great when trying to find teammates, but personally I rarely think to look at it when in more time-sensitive situations, ie: when hearing a noise around a corner and have to decide in less than a second if I should fire or not at whoever is about to jump at me. The hesitation can get you killed or can get you a teamkill. Or both if teammate has the same reaction Wink In those situations, that feature would be gold.

The "helpme" spam can work, but it also ruins the actual use for that bind, if you have 4 teammates spamming it and someone is actually calling for help, hard to find out which one to go to Wink

Altho it might not be THAT necessary a feature, a real teammate waypoint that you can see thru walls would be very nice, even if only for teammates in a certain radius.

RE: Pointers at Teammates - unfa - 10-01-2010

(09-30-2010, 09:58 PM)clanclanclan Wrote: Something I'd like to see integrated into the pointer information is whether the player is attacking, roaming, defending, afk, or has the flag. Perhaps, instead of circumflexes, the icons could be shields (for defence) lightning bolts (for attack), flags (for FC, or perhaps for people chasing FC), and a running stick figure (for roaming)?

I agree. Good ideas for signs Smile The question is how to determine if a players is defending, attacking or roaming? And if this can reliably checked by computers.

.png   attack.png (Size: 23.28 KB / Downloads: 51)
.png   defend.png (Size: 18.82 KB / Downloads: 51)
Quick designs.

(10-01-2010, 02:45 AM)nifrek Wrote: Voted yes, and imo ideally it should be a server setting AND client setting. So servers with a lot of players could disable it if it takes too much bandwidth and client could disable it if he finds it annoying.

I find radar is great when trying to find teammates, but personally I rarely think to look at it when in more time-sensitive situations, ie: when hearing a noise around a corner and have to decide in less than a second if I should fire or not at whoever is about to jump at me. The hesitation can get you killed or can get you a teamkill. Or both if teammate has the same reaction Wink In those situations, that feature would be gold.

The "helpme" spam can work, but it also ruins the actual use for that bind, if you have 4 teammates spamming it and someone is actually calling for help, hard to find out which one to go to Wink

Altho it might not be THAT necessary a feature, a real teammate waypoint that you can see thru walls would be very nice, even if only for teammates in a certain radius.

I simply agree with what you wrote Smile

RE: Pointers at Teammates - clanclanclan - 10-01-2010

unfa Wrote:The question is how to determine if a players is defending, attacking or roaming? And if this can reliably checked by computers.

I was thinking of more of a more manual method, ie. you might put "cmd status defending" or "cmd status attacking" in your "defending" and "attacking" binds. If people did not put it in manually, it might just have to be a circumflex.

OTOH, a simple machine method of checking whether you were attacking or defending could be:

1. Measure the distance between bases, let this be x
2. If your distance from the enemy base is <= 0.25 x x, then you are attacking
3. If your distance from the enemy base is >= 0.25 x x, and your distance from a friendly base is >= 0.25 x x, then you are roaming
4. If your distance from the friendly base is <= 0.25 x x, then you are defending

An alternate (and more accurate method) could be:

1. Draw line L from base F (friendly) to base E (enemy)
2. Draw two points, x and y at 0.25 x Length(L) from each base
3. At x, draw a line perpendicular to L which is of infinite length. Do the same for y
4. You have now divided the map into 3, and from here you can figure out who is attacking and who is defending

With either of these methods, you could add extra bits in to determine the average direction the player is moving in, over, say 15s, and use this to alter the outcome. You could also use their long term average position on the map.

Exceptions to the automatic detection methods are:

A) When your role is manually designated (ie. "cmd status *")
B) When you have the flag (in which case you will have a flag icon, no matter what)

RE: Pointers at Teammates - XV22 - 10-05-2010

nice idea, but yeah it should be optional from the settings menu or using a hotkey

RE: Pointers at Teammates - rainerzufalldererste - 10-05-2010

great idea! there could be a hotkey for showing / hiding the markers!

RE: Pointers at Teammates - rainerzufalldererste - 10-06-2010

how much would it change the bandwidth?