Xonotic Forums
Here's my fair share - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - General (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Here's my fair share (/showthread.php?tid=1156)

Here's my fair share - Scorpion - 10-30-2010

I haven't had much time lately to play as much Nexuiz as I've wanted, and with my free time i'll admit, I've been playing more Quake Live. But today actually, I found some time being a friday and launched Nexuiz again and I realized how great of a game it has been over the whatever years i've been playing it, and how I really don't want to lose it. So, I've read most of the first proposals about the differences in Xonotic, but I have not read some of the recent ones, so some of my opinions might be already said, but here's my fair share of my thoughts:

So, lets start with probably the most controversial topic, the Nex, or now the Xon.
I could care less about the name change, and actually Xon sounds ok. Yes, everyone knows that the nex is overpowered in Nexuiz, even nerfed down to its current damage of 110. The reload speed and the amount of ammo you can get from other weapons is dumb. changing the ammo type for the nex would work for good, but re-making all those maps would be very annoying.
So, I think that we all want the nex to be more balanced, and right now we just want to nerf the nex, but I think it would be better if we just made all the other weapons better.

So first point, leave the nex at what it is now, with its 110 dmg and reload speed and everything.

Now i'll continue on how I think the other weapons should be changed:

Mortar - Primary is good, maybe a bit of dmg (No more than 10 more)
Secondary could be fun to tweak with. I think the launch speed should be reduced, but nothing close to how it's super slow in Quake Live, that would be useless for xonotic being a fast paced game. You could also increase the dmg a bit and maybe make the splash radius larger.

Rocketlauncher - Primary needs a bit more dmg and a bigger splash radius could work too.
Secondary - detonate.
I personally don't mind guiding too much, but I think it should be less effective in that the guiding missile doesn't go as close to where you are guiding it that quickly. Meaning just less turning and closer to a straight line but still some guiding.

Those were the main weapons, the remaining ones are the ones that can be changed a lot without much trouble.

Crylink : I could see the primary being more like the secondary but in a spread of a 5 on a die, could keep bouncing, could lose it. keep dmg same, speed same.
Secondary - this one can be fun, i can see it as the lightning gun in Quake, but with less damage and instead of push, a pull. This would be more of a utility purpose.

Hagar - This weapon can have the most 'messing around with'. I personally have the weapon bound, but I have to look at my keyboard to make sure i'm hitting the button since it's so far away.
Primary - could be the same, slightly larger blast radius and keep dmg same.
Secondary - Anything really, a flamethrower could be useful if you can trap your opponent into a corner. What we have it as so far is pretty bad, so i do want it changed.

Electro - This weapon is something that many other FPS don't have, the secondary laying the process and the primary being the igniter. This is a must keep same weapon.
The damage is pretty good, maybe make the primary laser move faster. Secondary should stay same, maybe shoots balls out slightly faster. I personally don't like the three ball burst that ares had going.

Machine Gun - This weapon is pretty good, primary needs to stay were it is, or else you can't really call it a machine gun.
Secondary is a bit over powered, reduce accuracy and damage a bit, but increase speed, this is a machine gun.

Now the slightly important weapons

Laser- Should stay the same, laser jumping is awesome and should change, would change game play way too much. dmg is good, speed is good.
secondary - maybe a light saber? hehe just an idea. Does 75 dmg and is melee. definitely no push. Don't like that, the primary already has push.

Shotgun - This is the spawn weapon, so it's an interesting one.
Primary - it's good right now, accuracy is good.
Secondary - A bit over powered, needs either less dmg or make the pause between the three burst longer. accuracy could go down a bit.

The weird weapons that i personally thing the game doesn't need -

Crifle - Fine, you can have this weapon if you really really want it, even though i personally see no use in it besides that it shoots through some walls and has a head shot.
Primary - it's a sniper shot... woohoo. it's fine.
Secondary - No sniper in the world does this... if you want to keep this function then make the accuracy much less, if not come up with something better.

HLAC - wtf. Its a fun weapon but it seems it was made for that very reason... sure at some points it can be very powerful, but at others it's completely useless, the weapon is unpredictable. I really hate it.
Ways to fix it - Give it predictability.

Any others - if i can't remember them right now, it's probably cause I didn't like them, and would never use them.

Ok, now off weapons and onto the other big problem, the physics:

Sure, you want xonotic to be different from nexuiz since that evil group stole our name. But the physics is already really good.
Also, changing the physics will pretty much change every map, a lot of jumps will not be able to be done, and the jumpadds will all have to be changed if there is a change in air control.
Either way, I think the physics should remain as close to the original as possible.

Xonotic is a welcomed change, a complete face-lift of appearance, but over all the balance that nexuiz is has grown over time and is what it is because of our changing.

These are all my opinions and definitely should not be final decisions.

RE: Here's my fair share - chooksta - 10-30-2010

me plumber

RE: Here's my fair share - FruitieX - 10-30-2010

Xonotic IS a different game, so initially some changed settings will at least be attempted for the beta. From there we can then see what the "general audience" thinks after a bit of testing, and go with that.

Quite a lot already changed, I won't go through everything in detail but I'll describe the biggest changes here:
- Changed health/armor system to limit at 100/100 unless you pick up small or mega packs (5hp 100hp). That way you can stack up to a maximum of 200/200 (yes, very similar to the Quake3 system, still under heavy discussion, open for changes)
- Nex had a new charging system introduced to it, which affects how much damage it'll do. It shows up as a ring around the crosshair, which will become bigger if you: 1) run around fast (cools the weapon down), 2) quick-charge with secondary fire (will eat ammo), 3) do nothing (base charge up to 50% charge)
- Rifle is now truly a long-range weapon, due to it's long refire of 1.5s. You can't switch to another weapon during this time either, so no combos with the rifle, it's a bloody sniper okay Tongue
- Weapon push force got weaker in general.
- Shotgun primary has a longer refire, secondary is a melee attack
- Mortar had it's projectile speed reduced a bit
- Crylink projectiles are "linked" together, they will all explode at once to make this weapon much more useful.

And the physics are sort of a blend of Nexuiz and CPMA. You have the acceleration system from Nexuiz (hold forward to accel), and you can strafe-turn like in CPMA (hold strafe and turn mouse). That's about everything there is to it, very clean and simple physics.

RE: Here's my fair share - chooksta - 10-30-2010

ya , what he said

:^

RE: Here's my fair share - Halogene - 10-30-2010

(10-30-2010, 04:15 AM)FruitieX Wrote: - Weapon push force got weaker in general.

Sad another personal well of pleasure being closed down.

But I like the rest of the changes. Laser projectile speed could be faster, too. The Nex charging system is very neat, I think.

RE: Here's my fair share - Cuinnton - 10-30-2010

RE: Here's my fair share - ThePWTULN - 10-31-2010

(10-30-2010, 04:15 AM)FruitieX Wrote: - Changed health/armor system to limit at 100/100 unless you pick up small or mega packs (5hp 100hp). That way you can stack up to a maximum of 200/200 (yes, very similar to the Quake3 system, still under heavy discussion, open for changes)

I don't get why 5hp packs should take you over the 100hp level, while the 25 and 50 packs don't.

RE: Here's my fair share - ALT-F-X - 10-31-2010

if you think about it, you might get it. try it! xD

RE: Here's my fair share - PGP_Qz - 10-31-2010

(10-30-2010, 12:51 AM)Scorpion Wrote: So, lets start with probably the most controversial topic, the Nex, or now the Xon.
I could care less about the name change, and actually Xon sounds ok. Yes, everyone knows that the nex is overpowered in Nexuiz, even nerfed down to its current damage of 110. The reload speed and the amount of ammo you can get from other weapons is dumb. changing the ammo type for the nex would work for good, but re-making all those maps would be very annoying.
So, I think that we all want the nex to be more balanced, and right now we just want to nerf the nex, but I think it would be better if we just made all the other weapons better.

So first point, leave the nex at what it is now, with its 110 dmg and reload speed and everything.
I'm an old "nexer". I used to like the "old-school" uberoverpowered nexgun. The one shoot kill in 1on1... IMO, Nexuiz was more nervous and technical than now. But I think everybody will like it less powered.

(10-30-2010, 04:15 AM)FruitieX Wrote: - Nex had a new charging system introduced to it, which affects how much damage it'll do. It shows up as a ring around the crosshair, which will become bigger if you: 1) run around fast (cools the weapon down), 2) quick-charge with secondary fire (will eat ammo), 3) do nothing (base charge up to 50% charge)
I don't like that too much, but it can be very interesting and I think people will like that.