Xonotic Forums
My mapping ideas - pick one! - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Development (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: My mapping ideas - pick one! (/showthread.php?tid=1496)

Pages: 1 2

My mapping ideas - pick one! - CuBe0wL - 01-19-2011

Hi all!

During making Newtonian Nightmare, I've also started different side projects, depending on my mood and creativity. Those who lurk around on the #xonotic.editing channel, or the "Screenshots of what you're doing" thread might have already seen some pictures. Now, that NN is in master, and it doesn't really need crucial work on it, I'll move on one of those projects, and make that my main one.
However, I'd like to ask all of you about what I should start mapping, because currently this is what Xonotic really needs: new maps, that players enjoys playing on. Here I ask you please to vote on the map, you'd like to see in Xonotic the most.
Names of the maps might still change ofc.

#1 Fanatic

To be honest, this is the map I'd like to most working on for the next. It's a large DM/TDM map, in a futuristic style of a battledroid factory/testing laboratory.

[Image: 97qgoeugtiu9cvnneop0_thumb.jpg] [Image: h39bz88g77q3vebk3e_thumb.jpg]
[Image: cdj0fquuv3s1gkb9oo3_thumb.jpg] [Image: xfs3yciqt78l99kmoyf_thumb.jpg] [Image: bgc2o0msxohb31xp8rif_thumb.jpg]
[Image: x31ox71361xkos37zv8z_thumb.jpg] [Image: 60bt3yiej7z9us9npn0m_thumb.jpg] [Image: 57izertyn6hz15hycc_thumb.jpg]

#2 Leave'em behind:

This is a classic, and fast race map. It is finished, but visually not so appealing. Only job to do is some detailing, but tbh, I suck at that. Sad

[Image: sjm5bnyy6txa40q4eq2w_thumb.jpg] [Image: miwbsdv3ivn1i37wxes_thumb.jpg] [Image: helpafea3lbtqqxr07b_thumb.jpg]
[Image: orl54ysfigrz1ppbj66l_thumb.jpg]

#3 Lightspeed
A variation of the above, just in CTF. It'll feature a light, futuristic style of an abandoned laboratory on some distant planet:

[Image: ithq6u2okq30sbgqx2a5_thumb.jpg] [Image: 897mtte4ukhqgcbbikv6_thumb.jpg] [Image: sox768bs9e4lh6k2c8f_thumb.jpg]

#4 Deathball:
This is a Xonball map, played with weapons (ala UT bombing run). Currently, I've only started the main layout and one of the goal rooms:

[Image: jyfkxrj15wcfgrjpkuas_thumb.jpg] [Image: g7i9270gbtkavq4o91l_thumb.jpg]

#5 Further in the past
One of my oldest map ideas. This will be a high quality remake of DM Tower. The theme of the map is an excavation site of an ancient temple in a lush jungle.

[Image: ptg8ozw57671b5nwhkx3_thumb.jpg] [Image: 9a5vh6z6j1jqezw9u2yx_thumb.jpg] [Image: bwv2eyz6ybhjbxsjzm2v_thumb.jpg]
[Image: myrg8uiwl123d0fac275_thumb.jpg] [Image: inz15r2tngxsruktv4vz_thumb.jpg] [Image: dxuslwkpdynlnsd8fcz3_thumb.jpg]
[Image: gzmk2xii1ikrce07hray_thumb.jpg] [Image: ql9lf2rk8x34737ongi_thumb.jpg] [Image: 4h0x1ujo701nglxzy19x_thumb.jpg]

I'd like to sooner or later map all of theese btw. Please vote!

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Samual - 01-19-2011

Fanatic as it seems to have the best layout (in my opinion) -- But make sure it isn't too bright Tongue From most of those screenshots it looks like it's almost fullbright in some areas Tongue (but this is probably because it's early, so if this is the case simply disregard this message)

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - theShadow - 01-19-2011

I voted for fanatic, because it is visually different than our other maps. (we need more diversity imo)

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Morphed - 01-19-2011

I also voted for fanatic, but I think that this name doesn't fit for a futuristic, ultra clean laboratory.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - DiaboliK - 01-19-2011

fanatic

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Cortez666 - 01-19-2011

i would vote for #6 Fortress Resurrection.

but sadly it isnt an option so i say #4

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - CuBe0wL - 01-19-2011

(01-19-2011, 12:27 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: i would vote for #6 Fortress Resurrection.

but sadly it isnt an option so i say #4

Nice suggestion, I knew I left something out Smile

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - nowego4 - 01-19-2011

I think Lightspeed looks the best so far.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - tZork - 01-19-2011

Hm.. atm im bent towards #1, but ill think abt it some =)

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Lord Canistra - 01-19-2011

Something's appealing to me in the lightspeed screenshots. Maybe it's that flat, yet eye-catching multicolored design. Just consider using curved patch tubes instead of brushes in the dome.
And ofc I support #1, if you keep that style and layout. Multileveled maps are always fun to play on.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - FraNcoTirAdoR - 01-19-2011

Fantastic looks nice, however I think Xonotic should come with more indoor closed CTF maps like runningman.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Calinou - 01-19-2011

I voted for #3, it looks cool...

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Cortez666 - 01-19-2011

(01-19-2011, 03:22 PM)FraNcoTirAdoR Wrote: Fantastic looks nice, however I think Xonotic should come with more indoor closed CTF maps like runningman.

yeah, space theme doesnt mean everything has to be in space.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - xaN1C4n3 - 01-20-2011

Hi everybody!

I think all of it are nice, but we need more gamemode specific map...
so this time I'm voting for deathball. Big Grin

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Lee_Stricklin - 01-20-2011

All of them look great, but Fanatic gets my vote.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - kojn^ - 01-20-2011

Fantatic and lightspeed mate Smile

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - CuBe0wL - 01-20-2011

Umm... just to clarify some thigs: Lightspeed is the variation on Leave'em behind, not Fanatic!

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Halogene - 01-20-2011

I'd say Fanatic, too - I like that theme. Of course I would love to have some area in it where you can actually push people off the map, though. Like G-23 has indoor areas and a small area for push-o-maniacs (which could be bigger but I am happy with what little I get).

Thumbs up for you working on maps in the first place!

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - monad - 01-20-2011

Fanatic or Lightspeed

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - CuBe0wL - 01-21-2011

It seems Fanatic has won. Smile

Progress:

[Image: 5x9bazlbmc41e4ho3yr3_thumb.jpg]

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Lord Canistra - 01-22-2011

As I expected.
Will you consider returning to Lightspeed sometime in the future?

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - CuBe0wL - 01-22-2011

Sure! The map in layout is ready, I only need to think over the placement of spawnpoints, and create some eye candy stuff. The fact, that I've chosen Fanatic as my main project doesn't mean I won't tinker with the others now and then (eg. when I got fed up with it and I need a bit relax), but my main priority is on that map.

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Cortez666 - 01-22-2011

(01-21-2011, 08:14 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: It seems Fanatic has won. Smile

the voting must be manipulated, otherwise #6 Fortress Resurrection would have won !

* Cortez666 is disappointed

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - Strahlemann - 01-27-2011

Yay, Fanatic!
But to be honest i'm not really convinced by the layout so far. Too many long corridors and not enough rooms with interesting structures to fight around... but maybe this is only my impression due to the top-down view, and it's still in alpha stage Smile

RE: My mapping ideas - pick one! - rainerzufalldererste - 01-31-2011

only one? all ideas are great!