Xonotic Forums
Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - News (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey (/showthread.php?tid=1506)

Pages: 1 2

Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - -z- - 01-22-2011

It's been one month tomorrow since the release of Xonotic 0.1preview. This should be enough time for us to gain some valuable feedback about this early release. Whether you're a developer, a player or just someone interested in Xonotic. Please take the time to fill out this survey to help us learn more about our community and the wants/needs, likes/dislikes of our user-base.

Spread the word, the more results we get, the more we can fine tune the next few releases to meet expectations of a wider audience. Also, if you're not yet following our facebook page, then do so for super special, top secret alerts and news, not even follows of the Xonotic's twitter get.

By the way, your results will be more valuable to us if you have played Xonotic. If you haven't played it yet, we urge you to download Xonotic first.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - chooksta - 01-22-2011

chooksta likes this

oh wait this isnt face book....

seriously though get involved and submit ya thoughts please.

x = ftw

:^

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - -z- - 01-22-2011

chooksta said he was < 6 years old but we know that was just an oversight :-P

So far, great results. The feedback is EXTREMELY helpful guys. Thank you very much for helping us understand more about our user-base and the wants/needs. We are open to suggestions for future surveys to ensure we're getting the most valuable information bubbling to the top without making your waste your time or breath.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Mirio - 01-22-2011

Ok I start helping:

"I ocassionally join servers from other continents, but I usually play on local ones."

-> occasionally
Tongue

Edit: At step 2: "insufficient" would be correct.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - clanclanclan - 01-22-2011

Perhaps the age should be given in ranges, like <6, <10, <14, <18, <22, <26, etc, so people don't have to give their exact age.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Sless - 01-22-2011

and after <26 ... old fag ?

omg - i nearly feel like being the age of ... Urmel Wink

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Swithin - 01-22-2011

Oh man, I've been avoiding getting involved in discussing Xonotic for time reasons... the survey sucked me in! ^_^ I'll definitely point this out to my friends. It's a good way to get people thinking through their perceptions of the changes, and it might get even more people on the boards.

I think this was a great idea, and I hope you guys get a lot of good feedback. This is a reassuring move; I know the project is very open but it's nice to know you'll go ahead and make giving an opinion really easy, and that you want them.

Anyway, I'm not a regular player, but I hope my input at least gives you an idea of what we 'occasional' folks might notice. Good luck with everything, and I hope I wasn't too hard on you guys. Awesome work so far (electro grumble.) Tongue

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - mepper[NoSkillsOnlyLuck] - 01-23-2011

I will fill it in later, no time now, its pretty long.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Akari - 01-23-2011

Can we expect to see anonymous results or average statistics later?

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - chooksta - 01-23-2011

chooksta : 9000

ok , heres mine :p

hi , im <6

i pooped my pants

(yes this is lame spam)

but yer , stats would be f,,kin awesome!

ANY NERDS THAT CAN WERK THIS????????

ill make ya a tune 4 ya efforts Smile

no?

oh...

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - -z- - 01-23-2011

I will condense the results and give statistics in a few weeks. Please, don't give fake names and emails. We are Xonotic, not Zynga. We're not trying to steal your personal information and sell it to marketing companies, we're trying to make a better game and have a way to contact you if we want to get more information about your survey results.

I'm not sure how seriously we can take survey results with a name like, "You're dumb" and email "andihate@you.com". Really, if you're doing this, you could be wasting your time filling out the survey. The people doing this only account for ~%1 so far (we have over 100 entries), most of the results are looking clean and helpful. Just wanted to give people a heads up if they were considering doing that.

Thanks again for taking the time to fill out the survey. We appreciate the feedback both in the survey and in this thread. All comments will help make the game and the next survey (yes there will be more :-P) better.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - BurningPi - 01-23-2011

It would be great if the weapons/tools I like/dislike sections were merged into one section (weapons/tools) with a rating for each weapon and a single textbox at the end for feedback on all the weapons.

Something like this:
Code:
Weapons/tools:
Rate each weapon/tool where 1=strongly dislike, 3=neutral/no opinion, and 5=strongly like:
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Weapon
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Laser
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Shotgun
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Seeker
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Fireball

Additional feedback on weapons:
+---------------------------------------------------+
|                                                   |

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - -z- - 01-23-2011

This will be considered for a future survey.

(01-23-2011, 03:28 PM)BurningPi Wrote: It would be great if the weapons/tools I like/dislike sections were merged into one section (weapons/tools) with a rating for each weapon and a single textbox at the end for feedback on all the weapons.

Something like this:
Code:
Weapons/tools:
Rate each weapon/tool where 1=strongly dislike, 3=neutral/no opinion, and 5=strongly like:
(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Weapon
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Laser
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Shotgun
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Seeker
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) Fireball

Additional feedback on weapons:

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Halogene - 01-24-2011

I don't want to cause troubles or additional stress, but one thing that's rather important for me is missing from this survey: a privacy statement. The survey collects personal data and connects this with your nickname. Personally I am having difficulties already with making (nick)name, email address and age obligatory fields (which effectively keeps me from doing the survey myself). But even if they weren't obligatory I fear local legislation may still require a privacy statement that specificly states limited purposes for which personal data is collected and used. And even if it's not required (Who is the data processing entity? What legal quality does such entity have? Which legislation does it fall under?), I think it would help those strange people like me that value privacy to understand what happens to their personal data.

Just so you don't get me wrong I can offer you my help if you need/accept it in creating such a privacy statement. Though I am not familiar with US legislation I think I will be able to come up with something that would at least meet German standards, which I suspect to be rather strict in comparison to most other legislations in this respect.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - nowego4 - 01-25-2011

I don't think a Privacy Statement couldn't hurt. U.S. Legislation can be generalized down to this almost without exception:

The large print giveth, and the fine print taketh away.

Wink
Anyway, has it been considered that most of the people who are going to be willing to put in real email addresses are probably registered on the forums? If they're willing to give it out for a one-time survey, wouldn't it make sense to join the forums were you can post repeatedly?

How long is this poll going to be open? When can we get stats?

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - mepper[NoSkillsOnlyLuck] - 01-25-2011

Did it!

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - -z- - 01-25-2011

Well the email can be used to match your survey with the forum account in the future. The nickname can help us know that further. Age, we just wanted a general idea of the age group we're attracting. We're not going to sell your information to advertisers. We may email you in the future to let you know the results.

The questions about your audio/visual capabilities will help us set priorities on additional feedback to help those players. An example of this, is a visual reaction in the HUD when you are hit. This helps deaf or hard at hearing individuals, in addition to making you feel more "in-the-game".

I hope this helps clarify.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - chooksta - 01-25-2011

this isnt a game...

ITS F,,KING SERIAL STUFF

i has bad audio capabilities...

<6

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Halogene - 01-26-2011

Thank you for pointing that out, -z-. Still, making the information obligatory will exclude those people to fill out the survey that don't want to disclose their age for example. If it's only me, then it doesn't hurt most probably. I try to give excessive feedback on what I consider relevant and where I have an opinion to in the forum anyway, but would of course also do so in a survey if it wouldn't require me to disclose personal data that I like to keep to myself. If you consider feedback worthless unless it is linked to an age information, then the survey is set up correctly in that respect.

As the quality of the legal entity that the project managing team forms (if any) is quite undefined and uncertain, getting into legal troubles seems rather unlikely to me, though I see the possibility and don't want you to get into troubles. Just wanted to point that out.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - RoKenn - 01-26-2011

(01-26-2011, 05:32 AM)Halogene Wrote: If it's only me

No, it isn't only you.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Ronan - 01-27-2011

(01-26-2011, 05:26 PM)RoKenn Wrote:

No, it isn't only you.

Same here. :)

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Grunt - 01-27-2011

(01-27-2011, 08:46 AM)Ronan Wrote:
(01-26-2011, 05:26 PM)RoKenn Wrote:

No, it isn't only you.

Same here. Smile

I don't know how it's the legal environment where this server is located. I say this because to store several personal data such as age or address (or whatever involving personal data) has some legal implications (at least in Spain):

- You have to open a register in a public institution declaring which data you store
- You have to grant permisions of addition/modification/deletion of this data by its owner.
- You have to declare who will use this data (only you, 3rd party entities, ...)
- You have to protect it securely (with the "legal definition" of secure).

All these with official documents, etc. It's a crap for things like this, because I am sure about the goodness of your intentions.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - mepper[NoSkillsOnlyLuck] - 01-27-2011

I must say that I didn't understand some thins about video imput or whatever. So I didn't fill them in.

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Halogene - 01-31-2011

(01-27-2011, 10:58 AM)Grunt Wrote: I don't know how it's the legal environment where this server is located. I say this because to store several personal data such as age or address (or whatever involving personal data) has some legal implications (at least in Spain):

- You have to open a register in a public institution declaring which data you store
- You have to grant permisions of addition/modification/deletion of this data by its owner.
- You have to declare who will use this data (only you, 3rd party entities, ...)
- You have to protect it securely (with the "legal definition" of secure).

All these with official documents, etc. It's a crap for things like this, because I am sure about the goodness of your intentions.

My words exactly, I even offered my help in this and neither has the obligatory age information been made voluntary nor has a privacy statement been added. :o(

RE: Help Make Xonotic Better, Take Our Survey - Celroc - 02-05-2011

Hi,

I didn't fill out the survey... I'm sorry, but the exact age question just bothers me. I agree somewhat with the others: a selection of ranges would be nice.

Celroc