Xonotic Forums
"Xonotic OS" - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: "Xonotic OS" (/showthread.php?tid=1726)

Pages: 1 2

RE: "Xonotic OS" - dj-boris - 04-08-2011

No, I don't.
But it's easy to put it on a Stick and with ATI we will have many problems (my experience).
Does anybody know how to properly install the ATI driver?

RE: "Xonotic OS" - Minkovsky - 04-08-2011

Well... All this open source stuff you guys ponder about is just like those Kosherity laws the Jewish religion exercises. Seriously, it's a game distro. Naturally, you'd want good graphics. So, why not include the manufacturer's drivers, and have the user select: Better Graphics or No Moral Problems. Now guess which option will get picked the most.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - dj-boris - 04-08-2011

My first priority isn't to make a nonBlob version like Debian Squeeze.
I will try to make a debianbased USB/CD OS with Xonotic, Firefox, LXDE and developer tools.
And if it works, I will upload a Snapshot (ca. 8GB) with the nVidia driver and perhaps the ATI driver.
It's good to make advertising.
------
I'm installing Debian Squeeze on my USB-Stick now Smile

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-08-2011

(04-08-2011, 02:03 PM)dj-boris Wrote: My first priority isn't to make a nonBlob version like Debian Squeeze.
I will try to make a debianbased USB/CD OS with Xonotic, Firefox, LXDE and developer tools.
And if it works, I will upload a Snapshot (ca. 8GB) with the nVidia driver and perhaps the ATI driver.
It's good to make advertising.
------
I'm installing Debian Squeeze on my USB-Stick now Smile

Debian is good, but for a desktop. We need a lightweight minimalist distro of some kind. That's where Arch is good. 16mb of initial memory usage, the Xserver takes about 30mb more. With LXDE, that would work fine. BTW, setting up several GRUB options for each GC(nvidia, ATI, Intel) would solve the compatibility issue without having to make a buggy auto-detect script(we could write one though).

RE: "Xonotic OS" - Taximus - 04-09-2011

Arch is not a bad idea... This project would maybe even get me to use arch on a regular basis... Just too apt-addict to make the switch right now...
I'll need to do some more arch testing when I'll have the time...

For what is of the GUI, I really like the LXDE idea... Then as being minimalistic is intended, I suggest lightweight browsers such as Midori instead of firefox...

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-09-2011

(04-09-2011, 08:37 PM)Taximus Wrote: Arch is not a bad idea... This project would maybe even get me to use arch on a regular basis... Just too apt-addict to make the switch right now...
I'll need to do some more arch testing when I'll have the time...

For what is of the GUI, I really like the LXDE idea... Then as being minimalistic is intended, I suggest lightweight browsers such as Midori instead of firefox...

or even "links -g" Big Grin

RE: "Xonotic OS" - naryl - 04-10-2011

nVidia drivers' license forbids to redistribute them. The best you can do is ask user to install them on first boot.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-10-2011

(04-10-2011, 03:15 AM)naryl Wrote: nVidia drivers' license forbids to redistribute them. The best you can do is ask user to install them on first boot.

Or we can build a module for it like Slax. That works fine for them and could work fine for us. You just have to download it in tandem. What you suggested works fine too.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - unfa - 04-10-2011

Gentoo!

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-10-2011

(04-10-2011, 07:26 AM)unfa Wrote: Gentoo!

I would fully agree except...the compiling step for each application wouldn't be so wise. Updates would take forever... Tongue

RE: "Xonotic OS" - naryl - 04-11-2011

You'll need to compile each application for this custom distro anyway. Tongue And didn't we agree that there won't be a way to upgrade without downloading the new version?

Seriously, cut that mythical slow updates crap.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-11-2011

(04-11-2011, 02:24 AM)naryl Wrote: You'll need to compile each application for this custom distro anyway. Tongue And didn't we agree that there won't be a way to upgrade without downloading the new version?

Seriously, cut that mythical slow updates crap.

Gentoo updates are [sic]usually[/sic] compiled from source, pretty much any other distro just downloads a pre-compiled binary. Pre-compiled binaries are far FAR faster than compiling the entire package for each update. Updating a system(especially Arch) from the pre-compiled binaries would be a rather short task on semi decent internet(6Mbps). Updating on Gentoo wouldn't be determined by internet speed, it would be determined by processor speed. Using, for example, the Chromium browser would take 1.5-2.5+ hours just to compile. Meanwhile, installing the same package in Arch would take about less than 1 minute. That is a serious difference.

Edit: Fixed incorrect info, thanks naryl.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - naryl - 04-11-2011

Ok, but what does it have to do with XonoticOS anyway? The only updatable package would be Xonotic and it would be required to be built from source since we don't have nightly binary builds.

I have no choice but to request the removal of this and the last four-five posts as flamey and offtopic.

UPD:

> Gentoo updates are always compiled from source

Lies!

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-11-2011

(04-11-2011, 07:56 AM)naryl Wrote: Ok, but what does it have to do with XonoticOS anyway? The only updatable package would be Xonotic and it would be required to be built from source since we don't have nightly binary builds.

I have no choice but to request the removal of this and the last four-five posts as flamey and offtopic.

UPD:

> Gentoo updates are always compiled from source

Lies!

Sorry, correct, some packages can be downloaded as binaries, but that defeats the purpose of Gentoo(USE Flags).

The user would still want to update their distro to the latest packages, in this case, whatever distro is portablized. That's why we want update and package manager support. This is seriously useful if, say sdl support in arch sees a 20% performance increase with and update, instead of the user having to download the entire distro and set it up again, they can just run pac-man's update.

It's not flamey, it clearly defines for other people why Gentoo is not the optimal choice. Tongue

RE: "Xonotic OS" - dj-boris - 04-13-2011

Or a remastered Knoppix?
Because the nVidia License: Is it possible to show a message with an "agree" button?
We must mount a RAM Partition (if possible) to put Xonotic on it than we have a very good performance.
I'm now configuring the LXDE Environment on my USB-Stick.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-13-2011

(04-13-2011, 04:16 AM)dj-boris Wrote: Or a remastered Knoppix?
Because the nVidia License: Is it possible to show a message with an "agree" button?
We must mount a RAM Partition (if possible) to put Xonotic on it than we have a very good performance.
I'm now configuring the LXDE Environment on my USB-Stick.

But we end up reducing the amount of RAM available for the game. It would be wiser to require a USB Drive and read off that like a HDD.

Thats true, but a USB Drive is slowier than a HDD.
Which components do Xonotic reload?

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/DriverDownload-March2009/licence.php?lang=uk:
Quote:2.1.1 Rights. Customer may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE on a single computer, and except for making one back-up copy of the Software, may not otherwise copy the SOFTWARE. This LICENSE of SOFTWARE may not be shared or used concurrently on different computers.

2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files).

==> The nVidia license has a "Linux Exception" Smile

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-13-2011

(04-13-2011, 01:54 PM)dj-boris Wrote: http://www.nvidia.co.uk/content/DriverDownload-March2009/licence.php?lang=uk:
Quote:2.1.1 Rights. Customer may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE on a single computer, and except for making one back-up copy of the Software, may not otherwise copy the SOFTWARE. This LICENSE of SOFTWARE may not be shared or used concurrently on different computers.

2.1.2 Linux Exception. Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way (except for unzipping of compressed files).

==> The nVidia license has a "Linux Exception" Smile

Oooh, perfect!

RE: "Xonotic OS" - dj-boris - 04-19-2011

Jackpot!
After a Backup fail and other problems (Kernel Panic,GRUB,....) I have a working "XonoticOS"!
Feautres:
* nVidia Support (ATI not yet implemented)
* LXDE GUI
* Bootable in 40s (on my Intel i7)
* LMMS, Iceweasel, Blender, Gimp...
* Debian Squeeze based (minimal installation)
* Xonotic Preview (GIT is planned)
* First usage configuration GUI
* Approximate 200-250 MB RAM usage when started
* 8 GB USB-Stick required
* Not Stable, but works Smile

Questions:
Do you wish an image (for dd) or a tar.gz with a Shellscript (better, but Linux and Fakeroot required)?
Where should I upload this?

I hope you enjoy....
-Boris

RE: "Xonotic OS" - master[mind] - 04-19-2011

(04-19-2011, 03:58 PM)dj-boris Wrote: Jackpot!
After a Backup fail and other problems (Kernel Panic,GRUB,....) I have a working "XonoticOS"!
Feautres:
* nVidia Support (ATI not yet implemented)
* LXDE GUI
* Bootable in 40s (on my Intel i7)
* LMMS, Iceweasel, Blender, Gimp...
* Debian Squeeze based (minimal installation)
* Xonotic Preview (GIT is planned)
* First usage configuration GUI
* Approximate 200-250 MB RAM usage when started
* 8 GB USB-Stick required
* Not Stable, but works Smile

Questions:
Do you wish an image (for dd) or a tar.gz with a Shellscript (better, but Linux and Fakeroot required)?
Where should I upload this?

I hope you enjoy....
-Boris

Very Nice!

RE: "Xonotic OS" - The mysterious Mr. 4m - 04-20-2011

(04-19-2011, 03:58 PM)dj-boris Wrote: Where should I upload this?

i was thinking of Sourceforge to keep the project managed, because they's got mirrors. OR a file host, like 1filesharing.com that uploads to multiple hosts.

RE: "Xonotic OS" - dj-boris - 04-20-2011

(04-20-2011, 09:35 AM)The mysterious Mr. 4m Wrote:
(04-19-2011, 03:58 PM)dj-boris Wrote: Where should I upload this?

i was thinking of Sourceforge to keep the project managed, because they's got mirrors. OR a file host, like 1filesharing.com that uploads to multiple hosts.

What is with the "Export control" on SourceForge?
Or should I make a small script, which will..
* Format the Device
* Install the basic system from GIT or SVN
* Download and put Xonotic on it

RE: "Xonotic OS" - unfa - 04-20-2011

Thou rock, dj-boris! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin