Xonotic Forums
Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game (/showthread.php?tid=1834)

Pages: 1 2

Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - frostwyrm333 - 05-17-2011

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/05/capsized-interview.ars

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - Cortez666 - 05-17-2011

old news

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - nowego4 - 05-17-2011

I recognized the electro and grapple sound at least, there are probably more I missed...

Which makes me wonder--doesn't that game have to be GPL? or is it?

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - Spaceman - 05-17-2011

(05-17-2011, 01:17 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Which makes me wonder--doesn't that game have to be GPL? or is it?

The sounds could have more than one license.

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - Debugger - 05-17-2011

I guess its already released, and its not free.

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - Lee_Stricklin - 05-17-2011

Old news, debating on whether or not to add this to my Steam account.

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - noobermin - 05-17-2011

I'll be honest, it looks gorgeous and fun.

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - Lee_Stricklin - 05-17-2011

(05-17-2011, 03:39 PM)noobermin Wrote: I'll be honest, it looks gorgeous and fun.

Agreed, but the Nexuiz incident last year left a bad taste. Though I already did plan on purchasing this before that happened.

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - naryl - 05-17-2011

Lee_Stricklin, are you going to give them your money for what they did?
Ohwait. I thought it was about Nexuiz. Big Grin

I'll probably buy Capsized if there is a version for Linux. Without alienTRAP there would have been no Nexuiz or Xonotic.

RE: Vermoulen / alienTRAP released their game - Exitium - 05-18-2011

(05-17-2011, 11:35 PM)naryl Wrote: Lee_Stricklin, are you going to give them your money for what they did?
Ohwait. I thought it was about Nexuiz. Big Grin

I'll probably buy Capsized if there is a version for Linux. Without alienTRAP there would have been no Nexuiz or Xonotic.

Even though what happened to original Nexuiz, personally I'm not going to "fight" against them. However, I'm not going to buy Capsized, because I'm not really fan of these kind of arcagde games - but I'm going to buy that commercial IllFonic Nexuiz, nevertheless. Of course I'm dissapointed what happened to GPL Nexuiz, but a new game is a new game. And I'm kinda sure that I'm going to play Xonotic more than IllFonic Nexuiz, because it works on my Linux-laptop and all my friends can also play it on LAN, I'm in this community etc... Smile

But yes, I'll try out IllFonic Nexuiz.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - chooksta - 05-18-2011

i wont.

stuff them for causing so much worry and stress

ill buy it maybe when its in the bargin basement bin for $5.

then ill sell it on ebay for 5 cents.

but ill piss on it before i do that.

oh and ill write xonotic.org on the inside cover too.

t

:^

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Antibody - 05-18-2011

What chooksta said.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - CrrazzyRulezz - 05-19-2011

a little bit like soldat.
i hated it if somebody was killing me in soldat^^ *grml*

game looks good but im not going to play it on steam.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Halogene - 05-19-2011

(05-18-2011, 07:17 AM)chooksta Wrote: i wont.

stuff them for causing so much worry and stress

ill buy it maybe when its in the bargin basement bin for $5.

then ill sell it on ebay for 5 cents.

but ill piss on it before i do that.

oh and ill write xonotic.org on the inside cover too.

t

:^

... so you subsidize alienTRAP with an amount of $5 for enabling someone to acquire the game that was not willing to spend so much money on it?

Or do you want to pay $4.95 for an opportunity to urinate at a spot where it will be splattering all over the place? I am absolutely certain that you can have that cheaper...

(edit: what? Part of my comment was considered offending and edited out? I am sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone, forgive me my apparently strange sense of humor)

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Lee_Stricklin - 05-19-2011

I want to play it, I aint going to lie. The problem is by picking it up I'd be supporting someone who completely back-stabbed a community (and I hate saying this too, because without him there wouldn't have been Nexuiz). I'll probably pick it up if and when it gets a really low price tag or something.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Exitium - 05-19-2011

(05-19-2011, 05:30 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I want to play it, I aint going to lie. The problem is by picking it up I'd be supporting someone who completely back-stabbed a community (and I hate saying this too, because without him there wouldn't have been Nexuiz). I'll probably pick it up if and when it gets a really low price tag or something.

I don't think that's "supporting the backstabber". That's why I'm buying IllFonic Nexuiz, as I said.

I won't play it, I barely have time playing Xonotic as often as I would want to and I recently started to look into Warsow too, so there is no real need for me to buy ANY game actually.

Plus, there is simply no sequel to Descent 3 available.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Lee_Stricklin - 05-19-2011

(05-19-2011, 06:28 AM)Halogene Wrote: ...there is simply no sequel to Descent 3 available.

THAT'S A PROBLEM. The closest thing we got was a few sections in the original Red Faction.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - sev - 05-19-2011

Life is too short for this kind of "virtual" resentment.
Many people who didn't have anything to do with the Nexuiz situation worked on these games.

If you are interested in a game, buy it and support its creators, so they may get
the opportunity to make more and even better games to enjoy in the future.

Or have fun playing something else. Big Grin

...or www.minerwars.com, but I don't like massive multiplayer online games - and it is not even finished yet.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - PinkRobot - 05-19-2011

I thought we were over the drama already? How much does a 10 dollar game need to drop in price to be considered a 'bargain'?

Buy it if you like it, it looks very good.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - Lee_Stricklin - 05-20-2011

(05-19-2011, 07:34 AM)Halogene Wrote: ...or www.minerwars.com, but I don't like massive multiplayer online games - and it is not even finished yet.

MULTIPLAYER INDIE SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO DESCENT?!?! DO WANT!

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - naryl - 05-20-2011

> I don't think that's "supporting the backstabber".

It is.

Money is power. If you don't want Illfonic to do it again (and there are no reasons to believe they won't) - make it die. The simplest way - don't give them your money.

Or you're making everyone see that a company can hijack a GPL game's name and have a profit from that.

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - hutty - 05-22-2011

DESCENT 4!!!!!!!!!

how long must we wait

RE: Vermeulen / alienTRAP released their game - BGB - 08-25-2011

as I understand it (I am not a lawyer, FWIW):
the use of GPL'ed data files does not effect the engine, and they are using a commercial engine.

under common interpretations under GPL, if the GPL'ed content is not "linked" (in the compiler sense) with the non-GPL'ed code, then the GPL does not apply to the non-GPL content (nor to "the greater whole", although generally RMS would argue that it does due to bundling, this is not the common interpretation).

in effect, it means that a commercial project can make use of GPL'ed data files and remain commercial, provided that the data files themselves remain available under GPL terms (GPL is apparently much less stronger-binding with data than with code, since essentially each data file is effectively an independent entity).

most likely in practice, this would mean that some means is provided either to extract or otherwise download any of the GPL'ed content, and legally reuse it under GPL terms.

that, or, as someone else had mentioned, it is possible that the original content may have been dual-licensed under other terms, which would effectively side-step this whole issue.

not that I think that any of what was done was not a rather jerkface thing to do...

(granted, I am very new here, so I may not be aware of the extent of hurt or subtleties involved in all this...).

or such...