Xonotic Forums
Icon/small graphics artist needed - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Icon/small graphics artist needed (/showthread.php?tid=1868)

Pages: 1 2

Icon/small graphics artist needed - Antibody - 05-31-2011

For quite a while now I've been working on a web application that records statistics from Xonotic servers in a distributed fashion (via teh intarwebs, you see).

Having finished most of the storage aspects of the system, I've now started on the presentation of the data. To that end I'd like to have a set of small graphics or icons made in SVG format for each game mode to use when displaying scoreboards in my web app. Take a look here for an example of what I'm after (the little skull).

Please ping me here or on IRC (freenode #xonotic) if you're interested!

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 06-03-2011

I've got a small sampling of icons cooked up right now, planning to make many more:

[Image: iconsss.jpg]

CuBe0wL was saying in IRC that we need a bunch of in-game icons like
Quote:flag is missing, flag on ground, flag at home, YOU HAVE THE FLAG DUMMY!!!

If someone could make a list of ALL the icons needed, I would be happy to make them.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Antibody - 06-03-2011

JayWalker, thank you! These look so nice. I'm lookin forward to putting them into my web app when you feel they are ready!

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Mepper - 06-04-2011

I dont directly see what all those icons say, but I say: "They look awesome!"

O_o

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 06-05-2011

Here's a few more:

[Image: screenshot1vs.png]

I'm not about to claim to be a master artist, so if you have any suggestions/want to see something drawn a different way, let me know.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - chooksta - 06-05-2011

i can draw.... (see avatar)

t

:^

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - noobermin - 06-05-2011

I love the freezetag icon. Keep it up!

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 06-14-2011

Made a few more icons today. Having trouble thinking of ideas for some of the gametypes like Assault, Onslaught and Race CTS (I don't even know what that is...). So throw me some suggestions, and let me know if you think I should change anything with the current icons (I'm wondering if I should keep the background blur/glow like the main icon has... perhaps they would look better without?). Here's what I've got so far:

[Image: xicons.png]

Here's the download

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - CuBe0wL - 06-15-2011

Race CTF means Race: Complete this Stage. Very hard trickjumping courses, where you have checkpoints to reach. It could a a pictogram of a man, jumping over an obstacle in a leapfrog with one hand.

Also, for more consistency, I think all gamemode icons should feature the ring. I know the keys will look too small then, but might worth a try.

However, for some reason I don't like those skulls, sorry, I could have tell earlier, because I've had this thread in my focus. It too much remembers me to the old alienTRAP logo Sad DM and TDM could be two guys leaping towards eachother with their guns blazing in hands, TDM obviously has a red vs blue player.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Mirio - 06-15-2011

ONS could be a "generator like" icon and/or a destroyed generator.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Antibody - 06-16-2011

I like all of these and will be putting them into my web app as soon as I get the time.

JayWalker: as long as I have CTF, DM (+duel), and TDM I'm happy for now. Those gamemodes constitute 95% of all games played. Next up I'd request Clan Arena. The other game types don't even send stats at this point :o.

Thanks again!

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Samual - 06-22-2011

Very nice, and go with the important ones Antibody listed, but keep in mind once you finish all the game modes I can do that menu update with game mode descriptions and such.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 06-26-2011

Will do. I've been away for a week visiting family, but I've got a good bit of free time this week so I plan on finishing them. I'll keep you posted.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Antibody - 07-08-2011

Hey JayWalker, any updates? The other icons are needed so the app can be ready for the most popular game types, but I suppose I can request -z- to integrate the CTF and DM/TDM ones you have thus far so you can see how they look in action.

Also, are you up for designing the logo for XonStat as well?

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 07-11-2011

Happy to report that today I do have an update for you. Got icons done for every game type (with the Xonotic ring around them). Some of the icons in the no_ring and no_glow folders are missing/incomplete, so let me know if you'd rather use those and I can quickly finish them up. Here they are:

[Image: ssicons.png]

I'm not totally pleased with that Assault icon (couldn't really get an idea/make something that looked nice. Mirio: Not really sure how you personally visualize a generator looking like or I might try that), so I'll probably re-do that one at some point.

Hope you like them, here's the download:
http://jaynix.dyndns.org/files/Xonotic_Icons.zip

Antibody: I don't see why I wouldn't be able to make the logo. Just give me an idea what you want it to look like :p

Edit: Added a license to this (probably something worth doing eh?). CC BY 3.0, see the included text file in the download.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Samual - 07-11-2011

No no no please make GPL so we can include in the game, remember? (Or is CC BY 3.0 compatible with GPL.... iirc it is not, though)

Also: For in game I think the ones without rings look better, so if you could finish those that would be great

Edit: Looked it up, no -- it is not compatible. Please change the license?

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 07-11-2011

(07-11-2011, 02:30 PM)Samual Wrote: No no no please make GPL so we can include in the game, remember? (Or is CC BY 3.0 compatible with GPL.... iirc it is not, though)

Also: For in game I think the ones without rings look better, so if you could finish those that would be great

Edit: Looked it up, no -- it is not compatible. Please change the license?

Alright, will do. Gimme a day or two to finish up the other icons.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Samual - 07-12-2011

(07-11-2011, 10:41 PM)JayWalker Wrote:
(07-11-2011, 02:30 PM)Samual Wrote: ...
Alright, will do. Gimme a day or two to finish up the other icons.
Awesome, thanks

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 07-16-2011

Are you planning on using the no_glow Icons? Or just the ringless ones? Also, which ones are going in the web app? Finishing them up now, just want to make sure the ones that are actually going to be used look best.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Antibody - 07-17-2011

I don't know exactly which icons will be used. [-z-] is the graphic designer/UI expert for the web app and I leave those elements up to him. If I had to guess I'd say the ones with the ring, but I could use either. Do you feel that one set is better suited for the web than the other?

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - JayWalker - 07-17-2011

I just want to make sure that the ones used in game and the ones on the web app will be consistent with one another, (ring or no, as long as the inner design is the same and looks good).

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - nowego4 - 07-18-2011

I like arena3 better than arena and arena2. Also LMS one is awesome.

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Antibody - 07-19-2011

I'd argue for consistency as well. Hooray, consistency!

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Samual - 08-15-2011

I plan on using the ringless ones, those are the best looking imo -- there's no need for the repetitive rings when you're going to have a full list of game modes I think.

Sorry for slow response, still there?

RE: Icon/small graphics artist needed - Samual - 08-16-2011

[Image: 071a197sil7uoy1dztg_thumb.jpg]
early wip