Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] Realtime World Lighting? - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Configuration Tips (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Realtime World Lighting? (/showthread.php?tid=2132)

[SOLVED] Realtime World Lighting? - rocknroll237 - 09-11-2011

Hi guys,

I get a huge fps improvement when I disable Realtime World Lighting. My question is: does it actually make things look better? Also, does Xonotic utilise more than 1 gpu/cpu core?

Thanks,

Cam

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - CuBe0wL - 09-11-2011

Yes, realtime world lightning does make the maps that have them look better. However, I have to friendly warn you, you're spamming the forum.

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - Minkovsky - 09-11-2011

Realtime World Lighting means using the engine and not the compilers for lighting. While you can get high quality light and shadows out of it, most maps aren't optimized for it (AFAIK).

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - rocknroll237 - 09-11-2011

Thanks. Ooops, I have been rather active on these forums lol.

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - Lee_Stricklin - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 12:25 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: Hi guys,

I get a huge fps improvement when I disable Realtime World Lighting. My question is: does it actually make things look better? Also, does Xonotic utilise more than 1 gpu/cpu core?

Thanks,

Cam

It improves the look of things quite a bit, but you can get more frames per second if you turn it off. As for multi-core support I don't think Xonotic knows how to utilize more than one CPU, though the development team has surprised me before.

(09-11-2011, 12:45 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: I have to friendly warn you, you're spamming the forum.

Someone mentioned spam?

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - divVerent - 09-12-2011

Xonotic sure can use multiple GPUs in a SLI arrangement. Games need no specific support for that.

As for multiple CPUs: the SDL executable does sound in a separate thread, which gains about 5% to 10% CPU power. Also, at least nvidia drivers do offload some OpenGL driver work to an extra thread. Other than that, the game is not multithreaded.

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - Lord Canistra - 09-12-2011

This is why we can't have nice GIBS!

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - divVerent - 09-12-2011

Gibs are primarily GPU bound Tongue multithreading wouldn't help them.

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - Mepper - 09-12-2011

Sad

I really love all the blood and body particles! Especially in minsta, and the with cl_decals 999 Big Grin

After a match the whole map is then one big blood pool, and all walls are black of the shots, it requires a good computer, but that looks awesome!

RE: Realtime World Lighting? - mand1nga - 09-12-2011

(09-12-2011, 12:37 PM)Mepper Wrote: Sad

I really love all the blood and body particles! Especially in minsta, and the with cl_decals 999 Big Grin

After a match the whole map is then one big blood pool, and all walls are black of the shots, it requires a good computer, but that looks awesome!

You know you're a vampire when ...

Tongue