Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] Black maps - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Black maps (/showthread.php?tid=2815)

Black maps - _Subzero_ - 04-01-2012

Hello,

it appears that certain players may have problems with map display. Basically they see nothing but black space with weapons and players. This happens on some maps but not on others. Cleaning the cache and redownloading the offending map does not help. It _seams_ this problem occurs mainly on linux - perhaps some driver issue. I know at least one player that had this happening on Nexuiz for years and is still experiencing the same problem on Xonoitc. With a few exceptions in Nexuiz I did not hit this one. So I can't be of much help in pinpointing it.
Any suggestions what this could be / any workaround out there?
Thanx

RE: Black maps - Mr. Bougo - 04-01-2012

You can add your punctuation back, this is an april fools joke that will go away tomorrow Smile

That's really a strange bug. Does the console show any feedback about failed downloads or such things? More importantly, do your players have libcurl installed? That's needed for map downloads.

RE: Black maps - _Subzero_ - 04-01-2012

(04-01-2012, 03:49 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You can add your punctuation back, this is an april fools joke that will go away tomorrow Smile

kk, its back Smile

(04-01-2012, 03:49 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That's really a strange bug. Does the console show any feedback about failed downloads or such things? More importantly, do your players have libcurl installed? That's needed for map downloads.

Ok, so I went thru the logs and that might be something about downloads.
There is nothing apparent in server logs but a bit in web server. One player that had the problem today was on git, with v0.5 user-agent. On drain his client was asking for xonotic-20120308-maps.pk3 which, of course, was not served. Strange thing is I asked him to clean his cache of drain and when he reconnected it looked as if his client was in download (but again asked for xonotic-20120308-maps.pk3)... Anyway I suspect 0.5 did not have drain, so its just a version mismatch with erronous requests from client (?)

Now the other player - one that for years had problems with certain maps in Nexuiz - did not downloaded a single map from me Exclamation I know now why he only saw Xoylent, even though we've been to several maps. But why was it so... If its a missing libcurl, then why did his client installed in the first place? If it was a nodep kind of install, then how did his client started with a missing dyn lib?

RE: Black maps - Mr. Bougo - 04-02-2012

Xonotic can start with a missing libcurl, it throws a warning but it's often drowned in other console spam. It's not an essential dependency, as it's only needed to download additional content. If he got xonotic from xonotic.org, there's no dependency check because there is no install to do.

As for drain: your server loads the map from xonotic-20120308-maps.pk3, which is the 0.6 release map pk3 file. That file isn't on your map server, and it should not be. Tell your client to update to 0.6, 0.5 clients are NOT compatible with 0.6 servers.

RE: Black maps - _Subzero_ - 04-03-2012

@0.5 - yes, its an abvious version mismatch.

However, I think there is a lesson to be learnt here. Pretty much any server out there runs non-official maps and so additional content becomes, in practice, an essential dependecy. Judging from logs there are newcomers that log-in, see nothing, complain about display errors and give up a minute later. I would suggest that libcurl be boundled for linux, as it is for windows, and used if there is no system one available.

Thx for help!

RE: Black maps - Mr. Bougo - 04-04-2012

Make a feature request on the dev tracker if you think it's necessary. Then it can be discussed there.