Xonotic Forums
When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Server Administration (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. (/showthread.php?tid=3004)

When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. - s3a - 05-13-2012

Hi everyone,

I introduced Xonotic to two of my friends and I played with one of them online on an already created map/server but then when I proceeded to create my own so that we can all play together (along with bots), everything worked as expected except for the fact that my friends could not connect to my game when I gave them my global IP address. They even checked in the list of servers and couldn’t find my game. I’m running Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64) and I went to Windows Firewall with Advanced Security and enabled inbound/outbound rules to open the 26000 port because based on other create games that seemed to be the port required. I then proceeded to configure my D-Link DI-524 router to enable port forwarding with 26000 as the private and public ports and my private IP address being that of the computer I’m using (my local IP address is static). Dealing with networks is my weakness as far as computers are concerned so I would appreciate it if someone could help me resolve this issue so I can play a customized game suited for my friends and I.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

P.S.
I am running the server edition of Windows because it runs less services by default and I prefer worrying about enabling services I need than hunting down and disabling services I don’t need. That and I get it for free since I’m a student. I’m also a Debian GNU/Linux user but I haven’t tried this on Debian since I have major audio issues I have to deal with first.

RE: When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. - Loafers - 05-13-2012

(05-13-2012, 12:42 AM)s3a Wrote: I’m running Windows

I found the problem!

RE: When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. - Spaceman - 05-13-2012

Code:
sv_public 1
should show your server in the public list. Can you connect to other (public) servers?

I must admit I didn't read all of your original post Confused

RE: When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. - Mr. Bougo - 05-13-2012

How do you host the game? "Create" tab or dedicated server? Make sure that sv_public is not set to -2 or smaller.

Also make sure that the port you forwarded in your router was set as UDP or UDP&TCP, not just TCP.

And please read the server log, see if it says it successfully bound 0.0.0.0:26000 or something like that.

RE: When I host a game, my friends cannot connect/see it. - W4RP1G - 05-17-2012

I had the same issue when running on linux. It turned out that my router firewall was preventing them from connecting.

Also, I never did get my server to show up in the server list. I probably did not have my ports forwarded correctly, as Mr. Bougo said. Now I just run my amazon server, or at least I did until my wifi card died :/