Xonotic Forums
Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? (/showthread.php?tid=3011)

Pages: 1 2

Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mr. Bougo - 05-15-2012

Hi!

I keep accidentally giving bad thread ratings (I blame pentadactyl for this). There is no way to undo or edit the rating you give to a thread, so the only possibility for me to prevent the accidental ratings would be to prevent me to click them. I can do it the complicated way, with scripts in my browser that modify the DOM, or I can easily disable the entire system in the forum settings. Since I want to do it the easy way, I thought I'd ask you:

Do we need the five-star thread rating system? Is it useful at all?

Vote and discuss.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - W4RP1G - 05-15-2012

I think the thread rating system is pointless and I never use it. I believe the system does not help a forum with so little activity.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - edh - 05-15-2012

We can do without it I think.

PS. Anyone notice how this thread itself has a 5 star rating? Oh the irony.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - rocknroll237 - 05-15-2012

It's now a 3 star. Trololololol. Tongue

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mirio - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 01:00 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: It's now a 3 star. Trololololol. Tongue

No, 2! Tongue

I think it's not useful, you usually look at the topic name and judge if it's interesting for you or not. Also not everyone votes there so it's not a good indicator.

Idea: Since you can rate posts now you could show - visually - how many posts got rated in a topic, i.e. by an icon close to the topic name.
Like.. 20% of the posts got rated = Bronze Icon, 50% Silver Icon, 75% Gold
or something.. no idea.
I don't even know if it's possible. Smile

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Halogene - 05-15-2012

That's a thing that I wondered about, how do you rate posts? Sorry for off topic question...

On topic again I also don't know what to use the star rating for, I think it's useless and I also have been giving ratings to threads that I didn't intend.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Spaceman - 05-15-2012

I want to change the star rating that I give to a thread. I usually give a 1 or 5 star rating, sometimes nil. But after a period of time I change my mind. Recently Mirkea started an awesome thread but I thought his/her timing was poor and gave the thread a single star, but now is the time for awesome threads and I want to change my vote.

A simple upboat or downboat would be better - look at reddit Tongue

PS can we have a delete button?

"Yes, disable the CURRENT rating system"

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mr. Bougo - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 01:06 PM)Mirio Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 01:00 PM)rocknroll237 Wrote: It's now a 3 star. Trololololol. Tongue

No, 2! Tongue

I think it's not useful, you usually look at the topic name and judge if it's interesting for you or not. Also not everyone votes there so it's not a good indicator.

Idea: Since you can rate posts now you could show - visually - how many posts got rated in a topic, i.e. by an icon close to the topic name.
Like.. 20% of the posts got rated = Bronze Icon, 50% Silver Icon, 75% Gold
or something.. no idea.
I don't even know if it's possible. Smile

I clicked 1 (on purpose!) but it's still 2 in average. Aw.

Thread rating based on post rating would either never work for big threads or result in a huge reputationfest. I don't think I like this idea :X

(05-15-2012, 02:07 PM)Spaceman Wrote: I want to change the star rating that I give to a thread. I usually give a 1 or 5 star rating, sometimes nil. But after a period of time I change my mind. Recently Mirkea started an awesome thread but I thought his/her timing was poor and gave the thread a single star, but now is the time for awesome threads and I want to change my vote.

A simple upboat or downboat would be better - look at reddit Tongue

PS can we have a delete button?

"Yes, disable the CURRENT rating system"

Upvote/thumbs up/whatever would be nicer indeed. MyBB's default rating system won't let you change your rating, if that were possible I would have no problem with it at all...

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Spaceman - 05-15-2012

No sane person likes/wants down votes (maybe our local gimp MikeeeeeeeUSA). A simple like/upvote/thumbs up button would be enough with a counter.

A table with thread_id, user_id. A simple query that counts the number of user_id's. Some Ajaxy script to update and cancel the users vote without reloading the page. This should be fairly easy for a Javascript / PHP coder.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mirio - 05-15-2012

(05-15-2012, 01:33 PM)Halogene Wrote: That's a thing that I wondered about, how do you rate posts? Sorry for off topic question...

Hell we are in the Off Topic section! Tongue

There is a button "+ Rate" under every single post, it also adds +1 reputation point to this user.

See here:
http://ompldr.org/vZHJoNA

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Majki - 05-15-2012

What would be cool - voting for posts and user get rank based on amount of + or _ he has received.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mr. Bougo - 05-16-2012

(05-15-2012, 05:26 PM)Majki Wrote: What would be cool - voting for posts and user get rank based on amount of + or _ he has received.

Uh, that already exists, it's called "reputation".

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - divVerent - 05-16-2012

(05-15-2012, 04:31 PM)Spaceman Wrote: No sane person likes/wants down votes (maybe our local gimp MikeeeeeeeUSA). A simple like/upvote/thumbs up button would be enough with a counter.

A table with thread_id, user_id. A simple query that counts the number of user_id's. Some Ajaxy script to update and cancel the users vote without reloading the page. This should be fairly easy for a Javascript / PHP coder.

Except that we didn't code this forum software.

We can turn off thread ratings, I personally simply don't care. But adding a new feature to it sounds stupid, as it'll be lost on the next update...

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Halogene - 05-18-2012

(05-15-2012, 05:21 PM)Mirio Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 01:33 PM)Halogene Wrote: That's a thing that I wondered about, how do you rate posts? Sorry for off topic question...

There is a button "+ Rate" under every single post, it also adds +1 reputation point to this user.

See here:

And the strange thing is: I got no such button. Really.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Spaceman - 05-18-2012

(05-18-2012, 05:18 AM)Halogene Wrote:

See here:

I do

[Image: tZHNsMA]

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - chooksta - 05-18-2012

ild like a 9000 star rating.

maybe over....

t

:^

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mr. Bougo - 05-18-2012

See here:

Huh. The admin CP tells me you're using the dark_xonotic_v1 something theme, which has this button. Can you try reloading without cache? (That's shift-f5 in firefox I think)

EDIT: Okay then, let's give this a try. The ratings are now gone!
EDIT: Hehe, side effect, the "share post" widgets are gone too. I don't like this stuff but I'll see if I can fix that.
EDIT: I brought it back then commented it out, the images are broken anyway...
EDIT: Feel free to have a look at the page source if you want to suggest a fix, it's on the left of the "new reply" post.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - chooksta - 05-18-2012

(05-16-2012, 12:58 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 05:26 PM)Majki Wrote: What would be cool - voting for posts and user get rank based on amount of + or _ he has received.

Uh, that already exists, it's called "reputation".

REP HAS LOST ALL MEANING NOW Sad

ITS A SCAM PEOPLE!

oh wait...

imo now someone will beat my genuine rep nerd point nerd thingo.

GOOD ON THEM!

YAY!

( t )

t

:^

i just noticed i cannot rate my own post Sad

BOO

t

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Samual - 05-18-2012

Personally I would prefer simply a like or dislike system... that's how this works ANYWAY, people who like threads vote 5 star, people who don't like them vote 1 star.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Halogene - 05-21-2012

(05-18-2012, 12:46 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

See here:

Huh. The admin CP tells me you're using the dark_xonotic_v1 something theme, which has this button. Can you try reloading without cache? (That's shift-f5 in firefox I think)

I completely shut down firefox already a couple of times, emptied the cache, fired up firefox on my Mac, on Arch Linux, Windows 7, and still I got the same result when logged in (when logged out, there's no rate button too, obviously).

THERE. IS. NO. FRIGGIN. RATE. POST. BUTTON. AAARGHGHG I WANNA RATE TOOO ALL TEH NEGATIVE RATINGS I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO SO FAR ARGNGNGN

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mr. Bougo - 05-21-2012

Can you screenshot, and also save the html page, zip that up, and send it to me?

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - unfa - 05-21-2012

I think this thread rating system could be simplified to +1 / 0 / -1.
Or disabled.

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Halogene - 05-21-2012

(05-21-2012, 03:51 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Can you screenshot, and also save the html page, zip that up, and send it to me?

Sure, here you go.

My noscript plugin currently blocks only google analytics, I don't think that's related.

Screen:

Zip of the html code:
.zip   showthread.php.html.zip (Size: 17.68 KB / Downloads: 2)

RE: Forum users: do we need the 5 star thread rating system? - Mr. Bougo - 05-21-2012

What the crap.

I reviewed your settings and nothing seems special about them. Looks like a forum bug.

You'll have to bug -z- or antibody about this I'm afraid Sad

I seem to see the link "rate this user" in a post on WW, but not as a picture.

Well never mind, since multiple ratings are now anyway allowed, I'm fine. No need to invest time into this.