Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] How to change the blood color? - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] How to change the blood color? (/showthread.php?tid=3321)

How to change the blood color? - soukaina - 07-31-2012

Hello is there a way to change the blood color in Xonotic?
I noticed that the blood effect in the effectinfo.txt is automatically red even if I put a different color as a parameter.
Thx

RE: How to change the blood color? - Mr. Bougo - 07-31-2012

First of all, a word of warning: editing effects, textures, or really just anything in the original data pk3 that changes the way the game looks, sounds or behaves makes you a cheater.

There are several different blood particle effects, not just one. There's blood, bloodshower, TR_BLOOD, TR_SLIGHTBLOOD. And there are alien_* and robot_* blood effects too, that have green and purple-ish blood, depending on the player model that bleeds.

RE: How to change the blood color? - soukaina - 08-01-2012

what?! but everybody adds new maps, new players, new weapons.. so why not new kinds of blood?

RE: How to change the blood color? - Halogene - 08-01-2012

Well, you could change the effectino.txt so that you would receive an advantage over other players with regards to visibility. Though blood color would probably not be anything that you get an advantage from, it is hard to draw a line here, so it's rather binary: if you change game content, it's cheating per se.

That being said, I have heard about people adding custom effectinfo.txt to maps, but IIRC that was a really bad idea as it messes with your effectsinfo.txt that ships with the game. Dunno if there was a solution for this. But probably you don't want to change blood color only for one map anyway.

RE: How to change the blood color? - Mr. Bougo - 08-01-2012

You're not asking to add new kinds of blood, you're asking to modify existing ones.

If you want to make a mod, feel free. That's what adding weapons is about, for example. But if you want to change the appearance or behaviour of the game on unmodded servers, then yes, that's cheating.

RE: How to change the blood color? - rocknroll237 - 08-01-2012

I don't really see the problem with changing blood colour, but I suppose if you start allowing people to change things in the main data.pk3, then it will be hard to draw the line.

RE: How to change the blood color? - Justin - 08-01-2012

(08-01-2012, 03:04 AM)Halogene Wrote: Well, you could change the effectino.txt so that you would receive an advantage over other players with regards to visibility.

Could you please elaborate on that, Halogene?....Cool

RE: How to change the blood color? - Halogene - 08-01-2012

Well, speaking from personal experience, I cannot elaborate, as I have none.

But I heard some people edited effectinfo.txt for video editing purposes (ZeroQL?, kojn?) to get like red mortar trails or nex trails.

I'm not sure that is particularly advantageous but still as it is editing game content it's considered cheating if you use a modified client to connect to public servers.

RE: How to change the blood color? - edh - 08-06-2012

What's wrong with disabling the effects instead in the menu?

Settings > User > Disable gore effects and harsh language

This gives you strange white hit effects and this is not considered cheating.