Xonotic Forums
Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - News (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering (/showthread.php?tid=3540)

Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Antibody - 10-02-2012

Heads up guys!
Halogene just released his article about basic Laser jumping!

Read it at http://www.xonotic.org/2012/10/halogenes-newbie-corner-part-2-laser-jumping-and-wall-lasering-2 !

[Image: newbie-corner-banner2-800x239.png]
[Image: lj400x2003.png]

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - s1lence - 10-02-2012

Neat.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Maddin - 10-02-2012

Excellent! I learned something, yay! Smile

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Micha - 10-02-2012

Great tutorial. I need to practice wall lasering more!

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - rocknroll237 - 10-02-2012

Eww that's not nice. MR B! HELPPPP!

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Micha - 10-02-2012

It's just a twisted yoga man Wink OK not the most beautiful picture, I've removed it.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - s1lence - 10-02-2012

^ wat

*is sad because he didn't get to see*

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Mr. Bougo - 10-03-2012

It was just a half-naked dude with his legs crossed over his legs asking when he was supposed to stop pressing forward or something. Unless you have a phobia of yoga I don't see what was bad about that image.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Halogene - 10-03-2012

I laughed when I saw it :o)

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Maddin - 10-03-2012

Yeah, was nothing critical with this picture. Maybe post it in the Meme topic? Tongue

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Pendulla - 10-03-2012

helpful as usual Smile thanks a lot Halogene Smile

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - ZosKiaKultus - 01-13-2013

Hey Halogene: )

Great info on the newbie tutorials.
As you probably already know, I'm not the most intelligent player of Xonotic, but I found them easy to understand, and very informative.

How about a tutorial on how to lose gracefully?

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Cheers.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Halogene - 01-14-2013

Dunno about your intelligence, but I'm glad you liked it! As for a tutorial on how to lose gracefully, that's pretty advanced stuff so it should rather go into a "Pro Corner" than a "Newbie Corner"... (at least I've seen more advanced players having problems with losing than newbies). And imagine me making a "Pro Corner" - hahah hilarious Big Grin

Also I bet anyone that would need advice on how to lose gracefully would read anything about how to improve his/her pwn skills, but NEVER something about how to deal with losing.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Justin - 01-14-2013

(01-14-2013, 04:37 AM)Halogene Wrote: Dunno about your intelligence, but I'm glad you liked it!

Also I bet anyone that would need advice on how to lose gracefully would read anything about how to improve his/her pwn skills, but NEVER something about how to deal with losing.

Well done, Halogene! Here you are, writing tutorials, helping newcomers in game and on IRC.

Whatever tutorial you are currently working on, mate: Good luck with it! I heven't seen more helpfull player in my entire life. There is no more to say.

PS: BTW what are you working on now? Can't wait to see it!

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Halogene - 01-14-2013

Thank you Blush Issue #5 will cover general gameplay hints, I wrote already parts of it but am still collecting tricks/hints to cover in that issue. Didn't have too much time during the last couple of weeks though, but it's getting better (I hope) Wink

Also the topic for #6 is already chosen, and I am starting to get ideas for #7, too. Not sure I'll do a tutorial demo with voice recording though, as this idea seems not to achieve much resonance. And a tutorial map set, like a tutorial single player campaign indeed would probably be better (which I can't make).

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - ZosKiaKultus - 02-04-2013

(01-14-2013, 04:37 AM)Halogene Wrote: I bet anyone that would need advice on how to lose gracefully would read anything about how to improve his/her pwn skills, but NEVER something about how to deal with losing.

Oh well, until I get better on the skills front, I'll have to just make do with sulking in my corner: )
I'm currently working on my first ragequit, but no success so far.
Having too much fun: )

L8rz: )

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Halogene - 02-04-2013

Yeah well I haven't ragequitted in all the years that I'm with Nexuiz/Xonotic now, I only once got very upset and disappointed about myself when my Nex accuracy was below 5 percent in a duel, but despite getting utterly frustrated (which I usually don't get even if I lose badly) I nevertheless finished the game Big Grin

Ragequitting is really immature imho Dodgy

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - ZosKiaKultus - 02-04-2013

(02-04-2013, 11:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Ragequitting is really immature imho Dodgy

Agreed. It's a GAME, after allSmile
I just read the phrase in an ingame comment someone made and found it amusing, so thought I'd use itSmile

If I ever got good enough to be disappointed by my performance, I think I'd be a happy bunny hopperBig Grin

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Faraday - 02-05-2013

(02-04-2013, 03:14 PM)ZosKiaKultus Wrote:
(02-04-2013, 11:48 AM)Halogene Wrote: Ragequitting is really immature imho Dodgy

Agreed. It's a GAME, after allSmile
I just read the phrase in an ingame comment someone made and found it amusing, so thought I'd use itSmile

If I ever got good enough to be disappointed by my performance, I think I'd be a happy bunny hopperBig Grin

I dunno, I find ragequitting to be quite fair if you've been playing for a long time in a non-competitive environment and there's something else you need to / would much rather do.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - Halogene - 02-05-2013

This is going off topic, but if you've been playing non-competitively and there's something else you'd like to do rather than continuing, then you say "I'm off cu n hf" and leave. That's not ragequitting.

But if
  • you play competitively, or play a duel, or otherwise play a match where your leaving in the middle of the game would ruin the game for everyone else, AND
  • you leave because you got mad about not performing up to your expectations (or because you got mad about your opponents outperforming your expectations),
then I'd consider that ragequitting and thereby immature. Getting mad because you lose in a game is plain silly, imho, since losing is part of this type of game per definition.

Edit: coming to think of it, I find quitting because you got mad about losing generally immature, no matter whether that would ruin the game for anyone else. Learning to lose is something that should happen at age 3 or 4, but no later than age 5 actually.

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - ZosKiaKultus - 02-05-2013

To get back on topic, and because I'm not the best player by a long shot, I sometimes like to watch out for an intense battle between a few players, then launch a rocket at them, exploding it close to them.
As their health is low, I can take out a few at the same time: ))

Admittedly, the opportunity for this is quite rare, but immensely satisfying when I can do it: )

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - kammy - 02-06-2013

Ahh ragequitting... I've had that happening alot when I play 1 on 1 minsta ctf...

I think it's just cause everyone plays on all these super easy games like COD and people are expecting to jump in and learn how to play in 30 min Tongue

Obviously that's not the case hehe

RE: Halogene's Newbie Corner - Part 2: Laser Jumping and Wall Lasering - ZosKiaKultus - 04-24-2013

Ye.: ))
I've been playing for about 2 yrs now, and I still find some of the tricks of other players amazing: )

Like you said, it's not just a jump in and win kinda game.

We've got to actually practice and get good at it, and a good game is a good game whether we win or not.

: )