Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] Cant start server in linux - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Cant start server in linux (/showthread.php?tid=3705)

Cant start server in linux - xxen0nxx - 11-28-2012

Im having a hell of a time setting up a dedicated server in linux! I have moved the config to the right place and moved the startup script to the right place. When I boot up the server I keep getting the error saying the file has not been moved, when it has. What should I do?

RE: Cant start server in linux - Vargos - 11-28-2012

Be sure, that xonotic folder and server_linux.sh are in correct user. I had once same problem coz started server as root=)

RE: Cant start server in linux - Mr. Bougo - 11-28-2012

xxen0nxx, can you please tell me where you got Xonotic, where exactly it's located and where you moved the files? I have to ask you for details because there is obviously something wrong with the location of the files and I can't guess what if I don't know what exact steps you followed to get this problem.

Vargos: I don't think your comment is general. I don't know what you did, but following the instructions from the docs should let you run the server as root just fine. But running it as root is a bad idea anyway, so don't do that Tongue

RE: Cant start server in linux - xxen0nxx - 11-28-2012

I got Xonotic from the website download. I had put the server.cfg into the ~/Xonotic/data folder and the sh file in ~/Xonotic

RE: Cant start server in linux - Mr. Bougo - 11-28-2012

And where did you extract Xonotic? In your home directory?

RE: Cant start server in linux - xxen0nxx - 11-28-2012

yes

RE: Cant start server in linux - Vargos - 11-28-2012

Bougo, same to ur comments.
Meaning of my message wuz that if you put xonotic in home/user and then start it as a root command try to look up sh in root folder

xxen0nxx: do you use sh /home/username/Xonotic/server_linux.sh ?

RE: Cant start server in linux - Mr. Bougo - 11-29-2012

xxen0nxx, which error do you get? As far as I know, there are two possible related errors that can be displayed when running the server.

RE: Cant start server in linux - xxen0nxx - 11-29-2012

I keep getting this even though I have done what it says to do.

This script is not properly set up yet.
Please refer to the instructions in readme.txt.
In short:
- copy server.cfg to the data directory and adjust its settings
- move this file to the main directory of your Xonotic installation

RE: Cant start server in linux - Mr. Bougo - 11-29-2012

Okay, have a look inside the server_linux script:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

case "$(uname -m)" in
  x86_64)       executable="xonotic-linux64-dedicated" ;;
  *)            executable="xonotic-linux32-dedicated" ;;
esac

cd "`dirname "${0}"`"

if ! [ -x "$executable" ]; then
        if [ -x "../$executable" ] && { [ -f ~/.xonotic/data/server.cfg ] || [ -f ../data/server.cfg ]; }; then
                cd ..
        else
                echo "This script is not properly set up yet."
                echo "Please refer to the instructions in readme.txt."
                echo "In short:"
                echo "- copy server.cfg to the data directory and adjust its settings"
                echo "- move this file to the main directory of your Xonotic installation"
                exit 1
        fi
fi

exec ./${executable} +serverconfig server.cfg "${@}"

Do you have an executable file called xonotic-linux32-dedicated (or linux64 if uname -m returns x86_64) in the same directory as server_linux.sh? That is, ~/Xonotic/xonotic-linux32-dedicated if you have ~/Xonotic/server_linux.sh . The script thinks you do not.

Maybe you can add a line just after the cd dirname one that just says pwd? That will tell you where it's looking for the xonotic-linux32-dedicated file.

RE: Cant start server in linux - xxen0nxx - 11-29-2012

O_o i got a output that was ~/Xonotic so its looking in the right dir. I also have the executable in the right place.

ok i fixed that issue with chmod +x but that arose to another issue. Now when I run the sh script i get Segmentation Fault.

RE: Cant start server in linux - Mr. Bougo - 11-30-2012

Wow, okay.

It's supposed to be executable, so something must have gone wrong when you extracted the game. Can you checksum the release zip archive you downloaded?
Code:
openssl md5 xonotic-0.6.0.zip
should return
Quote:MD5(xonotic-0.6.0.zip)= 2dac2c1ad4388255d3ad4d038dea3f77

If you get the right checksum, try extracting it again (using the unzip command).

RE: Cant start server in linux - xxen0nxx - 11-30-2012

yes! got it working. Thanks alot!