Xonotic Forums
Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - News (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification (/showthread.php?tid=3869)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - Antibody - 02-09-2013

(02-08-2013, 05:10 PM)-maniac|Su- Wrote: when I change the server name the server is handled as a new server on Xonstats ... - means all stats collected till now is transmitted in vain.
A new "Server Information" site will be created and I.ve to start at zero ...

This is not true as of this week. Your server name will change and you will keep all of your existing records in XonStat. Try it - if it doesn't work, I'll fix your server entry myself.

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - -maniac|Su- - 02-09-2013

(02-09-2013, 02:07 PM)Antibody Wrote: This is not true as of this week....

Not true is not true ... Tongue

Example:
(Prophets) Duel Sanctuary [Minsta|Hook] git
(Prophets) Duel Sanctuary [Minsta|Hook]

Both are the same server with same ID but the name affix git

I pmed you about - your answer was:
Quote:I don't support merging of servers. Sorry.

Because I.m not interested to have many "Server Informations" sites, I cant change server name .... Undecided

Anyway - thats all off topic

GreetZ Su

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - Antibody - 02-09-2013

Su, when you PM-ed me server registration was name based. Now it isn't! Smile

Here's how server identification/updates works now:

1) Servers are queried first by hashkey (which is similar to the player hashkey). If multiple servers are found under the same hashkey, the one that is the most current is used.
2) If no hashkey is present, the servers are queried by name. If multiple servers are found under the same name, the most recently created one matching that name is used.
3) Once the server is identified, all of the attributes of the server are compared to see if anything changed (name, port, ip address, etc). If anything has changed, the server record is updated during the request.

Since XonStat does not accept unverified servers in production, path #2 never happens in practice on stats.xonotic.org. It is only there for development purposes, when myself and others turn off server verification in order to test. The end result is that now when you change things on your server, it will update your information similar to how player updates are handled. This means that your server gets an updated name/port/ip when it changes instead of a new server record altogether.

<historical rant>
I know what you're thinking - why was it ever name-based to begin with? Well, it all started with server admins running several servers on the same machine. Back then we didn't plan on creating new keys for this scenario, so the result was several server entries using the same hashkey. This meant that the names were the only distinct thing I could use after the initial hashkey check, so that's what I did. Since that time we've fixed the issue w/ multiple servers on one machine, so the fix was ready to go. I decided this week it was finally time to cut over to the "new" way of doing things.
</historical rant>

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - -maniac|Su- - 02-10-2013

Thank you for information and again
Thank you very very much for all your work on XonStats Big Grin

GreetZ Su

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - qorl - 02-10-2013

DEFRAG=MOD,
DEFRAG evolved from Quake so its a mod. First time I saw defrag run on youtube I saw Quake, I played Quake many years ago.
The name defrag bothers me also, but I consider defrag as a mod only.

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - deoxys - 02-10-2013

So is there anything I need to install client-side first in order to play on a DF/Promode server, or will it just download the needed packages/configs then?

(slightly offtopic but I thought it was the right place to ask)

RE: Official Xonotic DEFRAG Mod Clarification - Mr. Bougo - 02-11-2013

Nope, you can just connect and it should work. If it does not, feel free to ask in the support forum.