Xonotic Forums
Server requirement questions - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Server Administration (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Server requirement questions (/showthread.php?tid=3929)

Server requirement questions - end user - 02-05-2013

Before I fork over $$$ for a dedicated server I'd like to build one and run it on my Cable connection at home 15Mbit/2Mbit

Should I choose AMD or Intel? AMD would save me quite a bit $$$. If AMD which current CPU would be good.

Will a 120gig SSD do?

Connection wise how much bandwidh/date transfer would be required for say a 12 player server?

OS preference Linux or Windows? I don't use Windows normally and most of my computers run Linux Mint although its been a LONG time since I've setup a GUI less system (back in Slackware 8 days when I ran a Shoutcast server/Web Server from home.)

Does it matter if the server is behind a router or should the router be dropped and use the the firewall that comes with the OS (Linux)

Thanks

RE: Server requirement questions - Mr. Bougo - 02-05-2013

I can't speak on the performance and networking part, but here are some answers:

120 gigabytes is more than enough. Even 2 to 3 gigs would be enough I think.

Linux is much preferred. Windows won't provide you with a GUI anyway, so it will for sure be much more painful. For one thing, Linux gives you easy remote access through ssh.

Firewalls should not matter as long as you can forward the udp port you will be using (by default 26000).

RE: Server requirement questions - JayWalker - 02-06-2013

In my experience Xonotic servers are not very demanding, network bandwidth is more important than anything. If you want to buy a dedicated server anyway, why not just try it out on a cheap/spare/given machine first? Anything made in the last 6-8 years should be able to handle a few servers.

RE: Server requirement questions - end user - 02-06-2013

(02-06-2013, 12:12 AM)JayWalker Wrote: In my experience Xonotic servers are not very demanding, network bandwidth is more important than anything. If you want to buy a dedicated server anyway, why not just try it out on a cheap/spare/given machine first? Anything made in the last 6-8 years should be able to handle a few servers.

So will a Core 2 Duo box do?

I have two internet connections at home one is an ADSL and I just got a 25MBit DOWN (though it was 15) and 2.5Mbit UP cable connection with no data transfer restrictions. I was going to use the cable to Netflix/Streaming and the ADSL as backup but might be able to use the cable for the server.

RE: Server requirement questions - JayWalker - 02-06-2013

Your upload rate is going to be the main restriction, 25Mbit down is plenty. Also yes, a Core 2 Duo will be more than adequate for as many servers as your connection can handle. I used to run a few servers on an Athlon XP with ease.

RE: Server requirement questions - end user - 02-07-2013

(02-06-2013, 01:21 PM)JayWalker Wrote: Your upload rate is going to be the main restriction, 25Mbit down is plenty. Also yes, a Core 2 Duo will be more than adequate for as many servers as your connection can handle. I used to run a few servers on an Athlon XP with ease.

Ok so looks like I might just get a VPS from NFOservers would prefer to have a Canadian based server but this is more of an experiment till I figure out what I'm doing.

This is one option $40 per month. Will these specs do and what am I looking at for player slots with this set up? I'd prefer to have at least 12-20.

Quote: Two core: Good for 2-6 game servers or several large sites.

Two full, dedicated HT CPU cores (Nehalem or better)
2048 MB of RAM
200 GB of RAID-protected storage
2000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

I tested out their server IP's and they have some low ping ones form Vancouver area to Dallas/Denver/Atlanta around 92ms and Seattle 47ms. http://www.nfoservers.com/networklocations.php

RE: Server requirement questions - JayWalker - 02-07-2013

That should handle 12-20+ with ease Smile

RE: Server requirement questions - Cyber Killer - 02-08-2013

Many ppl don't really understand that a server doesn't need to be a beefy machine, don't they? ;-) Even for a graphically demanding game, the dedicated server doesn't do really much (cause it doesn't need to render any graphics), at least compared to the client machines.

RE: Server requirement questions - end user - 02-08-2013

(02-08-2013, 03:43 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Many ppl don't really understand that a server doesn't need to be a beefy machine, don't they? ;-) Even for a graphically demanding game, the dedicated server doesn't do really much (cause it doesn't need to render any graphics), at least compared to the client machines.

Thanks went with a Denver located VPS. Seems to have the same ping from Eastern and Western Canada around 70-78ms.