Xonotic Forums
Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - General (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions (/showthread.php?tid=438)

Pages: 1 2

Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - -z- - 05-15-2010

Apologies for my recent absence from the forums but rest assured I'm still quite active behind the scenes. merlijn and I are working on organizing some of the servers and domains related to all the current official xonotic websites.

As part of the organization I have just upgraded the forums and I will be starting to extend / theme it in addition to expanding the xonotic.org homepage.

Please report all bugs and share any suggestions in this thread.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - soze - 05-15-2010

Need a forum category for game play video posts

http://forums.xonotic.org//showthread.php?tid=399

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - CuBe0wL - 05-15-2010

Somebody has posted icons with correct alpha channels long ago. I'll try to dig up the link.
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=72&highlight=icons

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - -z- - 05-15-2010

(05-15-2010, 06:26 PM)soze Wrote: Need a forum category for game play video posts

http://forums.xonotic.org//showthread.php?tid=399

I will talk with others and see how they feel about this, I don't see why it can't be created

(05-15-2010, 07:16 PM)C.Brutail Wrote: Somebody has posted icons with correct alpha channels long ago. I'll try to dig up the link.
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=72&highlight=icons
Thanks for pointing this out, the changes have been applied.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - -z- - 05-15-2010

I've forked the forum theme and started developing a more xonotic based theme. Not much has changed yet, mostly minor color fixes and a full screen width forum. You can try it out by selecting "dark_xonotic_v1" in your user control panel.

This will be developed at whatever pace I can do it at. I'm open to suggestions but please don't tell me it sucks because you don't like dark colors. Users who prefer light themes will be provided with more options in the future.

update: I've added the ability to favorite threads (check "add to favorites" link at bottom) as well as making the forums easier to read on the iphone and implementing some changes to decrease spam. More to come, stay tuned.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - CuBe0wL - 05-16-2010

Great works, thank you -z- !

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Cuinnton - 05-16-2010

RSS Feeds on new post and on the devtracker would be really handy Smile

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - kojn^ - 05-17-2010

More space in the signature box so I..I mean we can add more achievements into it. Heart

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - -z- - 05-17-2010

(05-16-2010, 10:24 PM)Cuinnton Wrote: RSS Feeds on new post and on the devtracker would be really handy Smile

Uhh, is this a request for dev.xonotic.org ? Latest Posts RSS is supported here.

(05-17-2010, 07:00 AM)kojn^ Wrote: More space in the signature box so I..I mean we can add more achievements into it. Heart

Looks like you're using enough vertical pixels as is. We have plans for official acheivments/awards though

I've set dark_xonotic_v1 as the new default, there are still 6 users using BlackEvo4, they may want to change :-P

I'm going to consider this theme more or less a patch or a bridge to a more refined theme.

The ying yang was choosen when I was pasting random unicode symbols on IRC looking for opinions about placeholder symbols until we have more concept art / refined logo, though morphed had a cool idea involving X's for rating. If you're concerned about the symbols and would like them to be more meaningful, check out the logo refinement thread I started to help contribute to this area.

Stay tuned, report bugs / gripes here as usual. Thanks.

Also, I'm well aware some people prefer light colored forms even on dark themes, I will cater to this in different child themes in the future. As a temporary solution, you can choose the other 2 available themes.

edit: since people like to ask me questions in pm that I've already answered in this thread, I thought I'd highlight some key points

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - CuBe0wL - 05-17-2010

I think the main "Q" ring with the Phoenix inside would be a good base.
Blue bird: no new post
Red bird: new post

Per thread: same as above
Hot thread new post: Bird with glowing (animated moving?) flames: New posts.
Hot thread no new post: same as above, just in blue colors.

yeah but we need a more iconifiable bird first. Otherwise I'd phoenix the crap out of the site.

It's too large / wide atm and I don't want to offend people by using the phoenix I created for this.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - vbraun - 05-17-2010

It's a little hard to tell when someone's post ends, and when their signature begins. Recently it's caused me quite a bit of confusion.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Mr. Bougo - 05-17-2010

You're not the first one to point this out, I'm sure it will be fixed soon Smile

was fixed, need to refix

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Cuinnton - 05-18-2010

the background color of the devtracker needs to be darker, preferably as dark as the side bar on the right Smile

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - harry_ftw - 05-18-2010

What useful purpose does the "rate thread" feature serve? I can't see the point of it, and I don't like the way it allows people to say anonymously "your contribution to this community is worth one star out of five" so I'd be happy if it were removed (or if individual ratings were made publicly visible, though that seems less likely to be possible).

The new forum theme is looking nice. Smile

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - kojn^ - 05-18-2010

(05-17-2010, 07:21 AM)-z- Wrote: Looks like you're using enough vertical pixels as is. We have plans for official acheivments/awards though

Nice, look forward to it. Smile

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - -z- - 05-18-2010

(05-18-2010, 02:53 AM)harry_ftw Wrote: What useful purpose does the "rate thread" feature serve? I can't see the point of it, and I don't like the way it allows people to say anonymously "your contribution to this community is worth one star out of five" so I'd be happy if it were removed (or if individual ratings were made publicly visible, though that seems less likely to be possible).

The new forum theme is looking nice. Smile

I have plans to refine the voting. I'm trying to wait until after the next major upgrade.

In addition, I'll be adding a "thanks" feature. Where you can give thanks for specific posts you find helpful.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - The mysterious Mr. 4m - 05-19-2010

(05-17-2010, 09:06 AM)-z- Wrote: I've set dark_xonotic_v1 as the new default, there are still 6 users using BlackEvo4, they may want to change :-P

I'm going to consider this theme more or less a patch or a bridge to a more refined theme.

The ying yang was choosen when I was pasting random unicode symbols on IRC looking for opinions about placeholder symbols until we have more concept art / refined logo, though morphed had a cool idea involving X's for rating. If you're concerned about the symbols and would like them to be more meaningful, check out the logo refinement thread I started to help contribute to this area.

Stay tuned, report bugs / gripes here as usual. Thanks.

Also, I'm well aware some people prefer light colored forms even on dark themes, I will cater to this in different child themes in the future. As a temporary solution, you can choose the other 2 available themes.

edit: since people like to ask me questions in pm that I've already answered in this thread, I thought I'd highlight some key points

It should be "Yin-yang", i think.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - urmel - 05-19-2010

Just like in the last version of the alienTRAP forums, I miss the sense of getting referred to the forum I just marked as 'read' and I'm getting more and more annoyed and nerved by this feature. Is it really so hard to set the referrer to one instance higher or alternatively the main forum index, or is there any other reason to keep it the way it is now?

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Rage_ATWM - 06-10-2010

(05-15-2010, 11:56 PM)-z- Wrote: update: I've added the ability to favorite threads (check "add to favorites" link at bottom) as well as making the forums easier to read on the iphone and implementing some changes to decrease spam. More to come, stay tuned.
By accessing to the forum with an iphone, I noticed several bugs/limitations:
- if I am not mistaken, new messages cannot be posted,
- some threads cannot be read: when you click to access to the thread content, you are redirected to the forum main menu.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Halogene - 10-20-2010

Somehow firefox says img.xonotic.org is a reported attack page. Any ideas?
Also, what's with -Z-? His last post is more than two months ago... hope he's alright?

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Fisume - 10-20-2010

This is already known Halogene, I think -z- is working on it. Btw, he's still active from time to time in the irc channel (I think i saw him writing some stuff lately), just not in the forums, so don't worry.

RE: Forum Maintenance News / Suggestions - Halogene - 10-21-2010

Ok thx for the info. Haven't been around IRC for days.