Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] Little issue concerning video - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Little issue concerning video (/showthread.php?tid=4396)

Little issue concerning video - Mk - 08-17-2013

Hey everyone, I'm new to this game.
I downloaded it just yesterday, but here comes my first issue: when I run it, the game starts but the video doesn't. I mean, I can hear the menu music in background and so on, but my screen is completely black, and even if I try to run task manager ("summon your eon for a helping hand") it keeps that way and I still don't see shit.
Any suggestions? I tried to update my video card driver but the problem remains unsolved. It's not the first time this happens to me, though... some (few) games just seem to work bad on my pc (yes audio, no video) and I don't know why.

Any help is really appreciated

RE: Little issue concerning video - Mr. Bougo - 08-17-2013

You might be running in fullscreen in an unsupported video mode. You should try running the game without fullscreen.

What is your operating system? I can walk you through disabling fullscreen.

RE: Little issue concerning video - Mk - 08-17-2013

(08-17-2013, 09:48 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You might be running in fullscreen in an unsupported video mode. You should try running the game without fullscreen.

What is your operating system? I can walk you through disabling fullscreen.

Oh, I forgot to mention my operating system. Sorry, my bad. Anyway, it's windows 7

Okay. Create a shortcut to the xonotic executable, right-click it and go into properties.

In there, you want to change the "target" to add +vid_fullscreen 0 to it. Look at the screenshot below, you want to have +vid_fullscreen 0 in place of -nohome (I'm recycling screenshots Tongue)

[Image: FCtzX.png]

I repeat, do not add -nohome, add +vid_fullscreen 0 instead.

Great, it worked. Love you man, thanks for the help.

Awesome!

You can try using a fullscreen resolution that works for you now, just set it from the menu Wink

(08-17-2013, 03:12 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Awesome!

You can try using a fullscreen resolution that works for you now, just set it from the menu Wink

Derp... to be honest, I've one LAST problem (I promise it'll be the last time I abuse of your kindness): if I try to run singleplayer the game crashes. The multiplayer mode works perfectly, anyway.

Might be a problem with the map. How does it crash exactly?

I suppose it's the first level in the campaign that crashes? We can try to skip that and see if the second works. Open the game console (shift escape) and type
Code:
g_campaignxonoticbeta_index 1
This will unlock level 2. Try that one!

RE: Little issue concerning video - Mk - 08-18-2013

Well, I didn't explain it correctly: the campaign doesn't work at all for me (if I click "start singleplayer" nothing happens), and if I hit "Instant action" the game crashes. I tried to type g_campaignxonoticbeta_index 1 in the console like you said but it remains the same

RE: Little issue concerning video - aa - 08-18-2013

Mr. Bougo, you have interesting file system... directory "Blah_Blah" in the C root... I might consider that ...

RE: Little issue concerning video - Mr. Bougo - 08-18-2013

Mk: ah. Wow, that's weird.

Please try this: make another shortcut and in place of -nohome add -condebug

This will dump the console to a log file in your user directory called "qconsole.log". You can find out where that is by typing the following in the game console:
Code:
which config.cfg
which will tell you where the main config file is, i.e. your user directory.

Then, make the game fail to start the campaign, and then make it crash using instantaction. Hopefully the log file will tell us what went wrong. You can then compress that in a zip file and attach it to a post in this thread. If you want to, you can edit out your user account name from the contents of the log file by doing a search-and-replace (it's just a text file). Otherwise it will show up in a few places.

RE: Little issue concerning video - Mk - 08-19-2013

Oh, nevermind, I managed to solve the problem by myself. Thanks again for your help!

RE: Little issue concerning video - Mr. Bougo - 08-19-2013

Can you say what was wrong and how you fixed it? This is important to me, as I'd like to be able to help if someone shows up with a similar problem.