Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] Video menu causes the game to crash - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Video menu causes the game to crash (/showthread.php?tid=4564)

Video menu causes the game to crash - Divergence - 10-25-2013

It doesn't matter wether I change something or not, as I click on the apply button the game crashes and closes immediately. The only resolution I can have is 1024x768, I can't change any presets. I'm guessing: can I change something from some config file somewhere?

Debian 7.1 64bit

Mobility Radeon HD3450 & latest Catalyst drivers

Athlon64 x2 QL-64

Game ran via linux64-glx.

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - kammy - 10-25-2013

Well.. I'm not so sure how you are supposed to fix those type of issues, but you can always edit the config.cfg file and change resolution like so:

-Go to your home/user/.xonotic/data directory.
-Open your config.cfg file in a text editor.
-Change the 'vid_width' and 'vid_height' cvars and save the file.

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - Mr. Bougo - 10-25-2013

Does it also crash when you disable fullscreen and press apply?

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - Divergence - 10-26-2013

(10-25-2013, 06:45 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Does it also crash when you disable fullscreen and press apply?

Yep, whatever I do causes the game to crash. Even if I change nothing and just click on apply.

(10-25-2013, 06:40 PM)kammy Wrote: Well.. I'm not so sure how you are supposed to fix those type of issues, but you can always edit the config.cfg file and change resolution like so:

-Go to your home/user/.xonotic/data directory.
-Open your config.cfg file in a text editor.
-Change the 'vid_width' and 'vid_height' cvars and save the file.

Thanks for the reply but I can not find any vid_width or vid_height variable within config.cfg :/

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - Mr. Bougo - 10-26-2013

You can add them in there, like all other cvars are defined.

You should also try to set vid_netwmfullscreen to 1 in config.cfg if you still have problems.

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - edh - 10-26-2013

Have you tried the SDL version as well? Sometimes they behave differently.

If you run the game from a terminal then what output is given to the terminal when the game crashes?

Edit: I notice you're using the Catalyst driver. As a fallback you could try the free driver.

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - Divergence - 10-26-2013

(10-26-2013, 02:03 PM)edh Wrote: Have you tried the SDL version as well? Sometimes they behave differently.

If you run the game from a terminal then what output is given to the terminal when the game crashes?

Edit: I notice you're using the Catalyst driver. As a fallback you could try the free driver.

"VID_Restart: changing from fullscreen 1024x768x32bpp, to fullscreen 1024x768x32bpp" or to whatever I put there to change it, but still no actual change happens.

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - Divergence - 11-02-2013

(10-26-2013, 02:03 PM)edh Wrote: Have you tried the SDL version as well? Sometimes they behave differently.

I don't know why I didn't try this before, the SDL one solves the issue! Thank you!

RE: Video menu causes the game to crash - edh - 11-02-2013

Great. The SDL version tends to be faster too but how each performs (and maybe whether they work at all) will vary between systems. This can affect video, input and sound issues as the remit of SDL is pretty wide.