Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue (/showthread.php?tid=4799)

Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Red Viper - 03-06-2014

Hello everyone. I looked through the forum but didn't quite find anyone who had a similar issue as I'm having. I googled my problem, and found one outdated forum with one guy who had the same problem - but no reply. I've also tried several fixes.

I downloaded Xonotic and played it one time and loved it. Then when I tried to run it again, the .exe file wouldn't open. I tried the glx and the sdl files in 32 and 64 linux, I even tried the dedicated 32 and 64. Nothing at all happend. Nothing opened the game.

I created a launcher for it and I got an error screen and a command line. I fiddled with it to no avail. It said to add -basedir/path/to/game to the command path but that didn't do anything either. And yes, I do have my permissions set correctly.

Can anyone figure this one out?

Thank you!

RE: Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Halogene - 03-06-2014

I assume you're running Ubuntu 12.04? Then the *.exe files don't help you at all, they are windows executables. If I further assume you downloaded Xonotic from the Xonotic website, did you extract the zip file? If you did (for example to ~/Xonotic), then could you try starting the game by opening the console, navigating to the folder you extracted the zip to (example: to ~/Xonotic with "cd ~/Xonotic"), and then issue "./xonotic-linux64-sdl" (assuming you're on a 64 bit system). Does Xonotic open alright then?

RE: Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Red Viper - 03-06-2014

(03-06-2014, 05:45 AM)Halogene Wrote: I assume you're running Ubuntu 12.04? Then the *.exe files don't help you at all, they are windows executables. If I further assume you downloaded Xonotic from the Xonotic website, did you extract the zip file? If you did (for example to ~/Xonotic), then could you try starting the game by opening the console, navigating to the folder you extracted the zip to (example: to ~/Xonotic with "cd ~/Xonotic"), and then issue "./xonotic-linux64-sdl" (assuming you're on a 64 bit system). Does Xonotic open alright then?

Derp. I don't know why I wrote .exe haha. I meant the .sdl and .glx files. I tried all the ones for Linux. Also, yes I'm running on 12.04 64 bit; I downloaded from the web site; and I unzipped the file when I first downloaded.

I'll try entering in those commands in Terminal and see what happens.

Thanks for your quick reply!

RE: Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Halogene - 03-06-2014

If it runs and you only can't run it with the launcher you created, assign the location of the unzipped folder of Xonotic as "work path" for the launcher (e.g. ~/Xonotic). That should fix the issues with the launcher then. If it doesn't run from console, tell us what errors are being displayed.

RE: Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - DeadTOm - 03-06-2014

I had this same issue. I opened xonotic-linux-glx.sh and added "cd ~/Xonotic" at the top of the script, problem solved.

RE: Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Red Viper - 03-08-2014

(03-06-2014, 06:26 PM)DeadTOm Wrote: I had this same issue. I opened xonotic-linux-glx.sh and added "cd ~/Xonotic" at the top of the script, problem solved.

That did the trick! I added cd to the script and it worked! I can't get the launcher to put the game in my Games menu, but at least I can play now.
Thanks Halogene and DeadTOm!

RE: Ubuntu 12.04 Install Issue - Halogene - 03-08-2014

Are you using Ubuntu's Unity? I'd like to investigate how to set up a working launcher and post a short howto here.