Xonotic Forums
[weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Development (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons (/showthread.php?tid=531)

[weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - twistedlincoln - 06-03-2010

I know asking this is a bit silly given that there is no official Xonotic release yet, but I was referred back here from the Nexuiz forum.

When I use

Code:
settemp_for_type all g_start_weapon_laser 0

&

Code:
settemp_for_type all g_start_weapon_shotgun 0

in my mapinfo file to have players spawn without any weapons, using the scroll wheel causes error messages indicating that certain weapons are unavailable on the map to be displayed at the top of the page... These messages disappear when one picks up a weapon and then uses the scroll wheel.

Is this a bug, or desired behavior? If it is the latter, is there a way to suppress these error messages?

I'm currently running the GNU/Linux version of Nexuiz 2.5.2.

RE: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - divVerent - 06-05-2010

It is desired behaviour, as the weapon switch indeed failed and this message serves to tell the user about it.

Is this really a big issue for you? Shouldn't it be a GOOD thing that the user is informed that the weapon he tried to switch to is not there?

In Xonotic however, we might try a new way for such notifications (e.g. a shortly displayed icon instead of console spam). Stay tuned.

RE: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - twistedlincoln - 06-05-2010

(06-05-2010, 06:15 AM)divVerent Wrote: Is this really a big issue for you? Shouldn't it be a GOOD thing that the user is informed that the weapon he tried to switch to is not there?

Is it a big deal to me? Well yes and no. A workaround, as I see it is to just unmap the controls for "next weapon" and "last weapon" to nothing. But that's clearly not ideal. Is there a way to suppress these messages via altering the source code and recompiling?

Alternatively, is there a way to suppress ALL on-screen error messages?

I use Nexuiz/Xonotic for a variety of things, only one of which is actually playing a FPS game. Big Grin For this particular scenario, I'm using NetRadiant to help create a building design, and Nexuiz/Xonotic will serve as a frontend for creating a virtual walk-through. Since there won't be anything to actually shoot at, there is no reason to give the user a weapon. And the error messages will be a bit out of place given my application.

I realize I'm not exactly using the software within its designed parameters, but I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

RE: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - twistedlincoln - 08-03-2010

Sorry to bump an older post, but I was hoping someone might have a moment to point me in the right direction.

RE: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - kuniu the frogg - 08-04-2010

if you want not to have any weapon, maybe you could try, as an alternative, just to hide a weapon model, using:
r_drawviewmodel 0

RE: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - Mr. Bougo - 08-04-2010

That's a clientside setting, and that "solution" would give everyone a weapon. Not what OP wants.

RE: [weapon name] is not available errors with no start weapons - Roanoke - 08-04-2010

Eventually the user would realize there is no weapon and stop trying to switch. Console spam is the user's problem, I'm sure the average xonotic user doesn't mind.