Xonotic Forums
[NEED HELP] Dual display - open Xonotic in full screen mode on secondary screen? - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [NEED HELP] Dual display - open Xonotic in full screen mode on secondary screen? (/showthread.php?tid=5899)

Dual display - open Xonotic in full screen mode on secondary screen? - Galathorne - 11-16-2015

I downloaded the latest version of Xonotic (v 0.8.1) over the last weekend. I have a laptop with a 15" screen, but attached is a 24" LED (as secondary). I am running Windows 10 with Intel graphics.

My problem is that Xonotic opens only on the laptop's built-in screen, and I haven't found a way to move the game over to the external screen. Even in windowed mode it jumps back to the primary screen if I try to change the resolution. Also, even in windowed mode on the secondary screen, the maximum resolution available in-game is 1366x768 and not the screen's native 1920x1080. For obvious reasons I do not want to play on the built-in screen, and setting the external screen to be my system-wide primary is not a long term or productive fix. I need to have Xonotic open on the secondary screen and I have a feeling I am just missing something.

There doesn't seem to be a post which solves this, and the solution at http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=4376&highlight=second+monitor does not work for me as I do not see "xonotic-sdl.exe" in the main folder or any subfolder. I also do have a mouse cursor, so I do not know if the problem is related to that user's issue.

Is there any setting somewhere that I have to adjust in order to force the game to open (and stay) on the second screen, at its native maximum resolution? If not, any suggestions?

RE: Dual display - open Xonotic on secondary screen? - sev - 11-18-2015

In case you don't already know this, you can change the resolution with the following commands in the in-game console:

Code:
vid_width 1920
vid_height 1080
vid_restart

Alternatively, you can change the values in (\users\user\saved games\xonotic\data\)config.cfg

I don't have any experience with multiple monitors (or Windows).
On Linux, I would use the devilspie tool to manage custom window settings,
I'm sure there are similar window management tools for Windows.

RE: Dual display - open Xonotic in full screen mode on secondary screen? - Galathorne - 11-18-2015

Thank you sev. I did not know of these, and it brings me one step closer to a solution - much appreciated.

Although this has to be done in windowed mode to work for me, it is a very dirty "almost-fix" for my problem. I have now set the actual vid_width to 1022 and the actual vid_height to 1918 (to compensate for the pixel values of the window borders, titlebar and taskbar on my system's second screen). I can disable the second screen's taskbar when playing Xonotic, which is not ideal, as I need this for productivity otherwise.

All in all your suggestion does give me a way to fill my second screen, but to be honest I really want to run it without the on-screen distractions that a titlebar, window borders (and taskbar if not disabled) brings to the experience. My Linux PC's motherboard got fried due to a power surge last year and I have not replaced it yet, so Windows it is for now. I did use devilspie then, but have not found a decent equivalent for Windows (free or open source at least).

One more noteworthy thing to mention - I have always found that running any game in full screen mode yields a noticeably higher FPS vs running it in a window, as experienced on Intel and NVidia graphics - something I am also noticing on my current system when using your suggested method.

In order to fully solve this problem, I would still want to find a solution to open Xonotic in true full screen mode on my second screen (I have added "in full screen mode" to the subject line to reflect this).