Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Interactive in-game tutorials - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Interactive in-game tutorials (/showthread.php?tid=603)

Interactive in-game tutorials - unfa - 06-19-2010

I was thinking of making some more tutorial maps for Xonotic.

There was one tutorial included in recent Nexuiz campaign which have shown that this stuff is doable. But also shown that it can be done better.
  • I belive tutorial levels should play no music as it disturbs listening to tutor voice. Or some volume automation should occur to avoid that
  • I'am sure we can achive better audio quality of recorded voice
  • maybe we could use the demo technology to make player able to see how some tricks are being done?

Thinking of possible topics for tutorials:
  • Basic tutorial(s)
  • 1 on 1 tutorial
  • DM tutorial
  • TDM tutorial
  • ClanMatch tutorial
  • CTF tutorial
  • ONS tutorial
  • Assault tutorial (if this mode gets some playability)
  • Race/CTS tutorial
  • Mutators tutorial
  • Laser/Trickjumps tutorial
  • Bunnyjumping tutorial

Explanation:

Basic tutorial(s) - for those who have never played such a game before:
  • Character movement
  • Goal of the game
  • Aiming
  • Using weapons
  • Using special weapon functions (Electro combo, RL guidance)
  • Tips for begginers (don't stay still if you don't want to get shot, don't attack if you don't have a chance etc.)
  • Acronyms used in the game (GG, TY, G2G, DM, TDM, etc...)
  • Humorous warning about the all-mighty ban-hammer of the Admin (so please behave, new folks)
  • Where to get help (this forum, IRC, Nexuiz In-Depth)

Mutators tutorial - I think explaining how mutators work would be nice for new players - just a brief overview of how they alter the gameplay, two short matches to play (one with Minsta and one with NixNex would be nice here)

Maybe theese tutorials would create a series of matches (testing newly described features) creating a tutorial campaign for Xonotic?

I'am willing to help! I can write scripts (lines to be said) and record voice for those tutorials. Anybody else is willing to help?

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - Roanoke - 06-19-2010

I think mookow has some experience with this - he began a revised dojo map then abandoned it when xonotic started. Coordinate with him, he probably could help.

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - DJZelDarK - 06-19-2010

Good idea. Tutorials like in UT2004 could be very usefull for the future new players of Xonotic !

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - clanclanclan - 06-19-2010

unfa Wrote:Basic tutorial(s) - for those who have never played such a game before:
Character movement
Goal of the game
Aiming
Using weapons
Using special weapon functions (Electro combo, RL guidance)
Tips for begginers (don't stay still if you don't want to get shot, don't attack if you don't have a chance etc.)
Acronyms used in the game (GG, TY, G2G, DM, TDM, etc...)
Humorous warning about the alighty ban-hammer of the Admin (so please behave)
Where to get help (this forum, IRC)

If this was all rolled in to one half hour beginners tutorial it would be great because new players would have plenty of experience before coming on to online servers. This means that more experienced players could spend more time playing, and less time answering questions Big Grin

I'd also add to that list use of the in game console (binds, say/tell commands, etc, etc) and other strictly technical things of that nature.

The idea of spec-ing demos is great! The amount I learnt from FruitieX's one minute piece-o-cake speedrun is probably equivalent to the amount I learnt from my first four or five hours of online CTS.

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - nifrek - 06-20-2010

Yeah mookow's map was a fantastic start for something like this. No idea how it was done, but when you entered a room you could push a button to playback a video showing what you had to do to complete the lesson. Of course, a video doesn't look as good as a demo because of file size, but it's great nonetheless and even works while connected online on a server, while a demo needs to disconnect before it can be played back. I mean it could work with demos, but I would like to be a able to hang out on a training server and answer more specific questions when those players are having difficulties even after watching the tutorials. It's not very practical if they disconnect every minutes to watch demos.

I really like the idea of having "basics" tutorials, tips for beginners and such. I don't know if you've seen Greenmarine's videos ( http://www.youtube.com/user/NexuizInDepth ) but they are really great and easy to understand, maybe they could be used as an example of how it should be done. I always was disappointed that those videos were not more advertised, or acknowledged at all "officially" in-game or website.

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - Roanoke - 06-20-2010

Yes, I liked those too. It's a shame he stopped doing them a while ago.

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - unfa - 08-05-2010

I think that game could direct new players towards Nexuiz-In-Depth for them to learn basic.

Maybe a master plan of getting new players into the game easily should be developed Smile

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - Roanoke - 08-05-2010

(08-05-2010, 10:12 AM)unfa Wrote: I think that game could direct new players towards Nexuiz-In-Depth for them to learn basic.

Maybe a master plan of getting new players into the game easily should be developed Smile

Nexuiz in depth is about nexuiz and does not teach players how to use weapons, etc.

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - Rage_ATWM - 08-05-2010

An other idea would be to include standstill non-shooting bots (or moving with simple trajectories) just to practice different weapons and aiming.

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - rainerzufalldererste - 08-05-2010

and how would you describe their skill?
Code:
ok! shoot me...I don't care
?

Good idea Rage_ATWM! Big Grin
maybe it would help!

RE: Interactive in-game tutorials - Sir Emeth Mimetes - 11-25-2010

I believe to help gain the best enjoyment for rookie and experience players alike, an advanced tutorial/training/dojo system is crucial. Period.

This looks like a great start to that. If you want help testing/coming up with training interface ideas let me know. I would love to help. Smile