Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be (/showthread.php?tid=6092)

Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - Lee_Stricklin - 03-19-2016

THIS THREAD WAS INTENDED FOR THE SUGGESTION BOX, FOR SOME REASON I POSTED IT HERE

I propose ditching the campaign mode in it's entirety due to how bad the bot AI currently is. In it's place, I feel a tutorial followed by a series of levels that teach a player basic and advanced movement (bunny hopping, blaster jumping, learning how to fly using splash damage, etc.) and weapon techniques (weapon combos, firing on bots running and/or flying fixed paths, splash damageing through walls/floors/ceilings etc.) as well as testing them on what they have learned would be more appropriate. Such a mode would offer a fun challenge to newcomers (as well as possibly sharpen up some of our rusty players) and produce more online ready players. Each level could have different difficulty options as well as times a player can try to improve upon and ideally later challenges should kick current Xonotic players asses when played on the hardest difficulties.

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - dekrY - 03-19-2016

I think this could actually work. Not a bad idea. Personally, I am a fan of more of a ut99/q3arena types of campaigns (tournament ladder, when at the end of beating every map, you feel like a true champion). Not saying this is where xonotic has to go. But if AI is bad, then what was suggested above, is not a bad idea. The trick is not to bore the player with tons of information, but make the tutorial type campaign fun, while introducing maximum features, tricks etc.

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - Mario - 03-19-2016

Could be a great way to get rid of the weird stuff we have now - just need to decide on a tutorial design...

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - Beagle - 03-19-2016

Campaign isn't Campaign more like Weapon Levels.

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - Lee_Stricklin - 03-20-2016

(03-19-2016, 03:46 PM)Beagle Wrote: Campaign isn't Campaign more like Weapon Levels.

It'd be more of a challenge mode where you learn how to do cool stuff that you can later use online. A lot of basics, but also a lot of stuff that isn't immediately obvious (virtually no newcomer knows what weapon combos are or that you can splash damage through surfaces speaking of which I think there should be visuals that represent that like in the thread below) as well as stuff you thought wasn't possible to do in the game. Bot matches can still be created in the multiplayer menu.

Visual splash damage thread
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=5086&highlight=Splash+Damage

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - rafallus - 04-30-2016

(03-19-2016, 01:46 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: THIS THREAD WAS INTENDED FOR THE SUGGESTION BOX, FOR SOME REASON I POSTED IT HERE

I propose ditching the campaign mode in it's entirety due to how bad the bot AI currently is. In it's place, I feel a tutorial followed by a series of levels that teach a player basic and advanced movement (bunny hopping, blaster jumping, learning how to fly using splash damage, etc.) and weapon techniques (weapon combos, firing on bots running and/or flying fixed paths, splash damageing through walls/floors/ceilings etc.) as well as testing them on what they have learned would be more appropriate. Such a mode would offer a fun challenge to newcomers (as well as possibly sharpen up some of our rusty players) and produce more online ready players. Each level could have different difficulty options as well as times a player can try to improve upon and ideally later challenges should kick current Xonotic players asses when played on the hardest difficulties.

You mean sth like new UT does?

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - tZork - 04-30-2016

screw potatoes, wingnuts are much better!
Two different things, however tutorial maps should be much further up on the priority list than bot matches.

RE: Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be - Lee_Stricklin - 05-09-2016

(04-30-2016, 06:48 AM)rafallus Wrote:
(03-19-2016, 01:46 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: THIS THREAD WAS INTENDED FOR THE SUGGESTION BOX, FOR SOME REASON I POSTED IT HERE

You mean sth like new UT does?

Closer to the VR missions in Metal Gear Solid (specifically the ones without enemies), shooting range in Perfect Dark, and weapon practice mode in Tribes Ascend.