Xonotic Forums
Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? (/showthread.php?tid=6253)

Pages: 1 2

Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - VertX - 06-12-2016

Just found this out by a friend linking me to it. Looks like we are getting a new Quake! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa-6fQyNkZo

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - N1mbus - 06-13-2016

You mean a new Overwatch? Big Grin

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Beagle - 06-13-2016

Hype Mode Activated: Please be on Linux...

[Image: 586.gif]

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Lee_Stricklin - 06-13-2016

Dead on arrival if they don't ditch this class based horse shit

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Smilecythe - 06-13-2016

I'd be fine with classes as long as the movement, health/armor and weapons are equal for all characters. If the character abilities were defined by stuff similar to Team Arena powerups (stuff like Quad/Haste/Medkit/Personal Tele basically), then I wouldn't mind them on team games. None of that crap in Deathmatch/Duel pls though.

EDIT: They should just straight out do it the Team Arena way, fuck this hero bullshit.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - SPLAT - 06-13-2016

Honestly I'm not even surprised they pulled this stunt. Theres no way a company like Bethesda is gonna commit resources on an old school Quake remake and expect to make any sort of reasonable profit. They have to find a way to appeal to both sides of the coin. Who knows, maybe it'll be fun... even if its just for nostalgia

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Mirio - 06-13-2016

They can not make a "real" Quake reboot, cause it would be way too hard for causal players which should be their main target to make monies from that project.
I guess this is only happening as DOOM was successful for them and they're just trying to milk the Quake franchise a last time.

A character with wallhack ability? Please fix .. Sad
@Smilecythe: I'm pretty sure that characters that look heavy will have more armor and a character like Nyx might be fast but less armor. Such crap will be there.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Maddin - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 02:27 AM)Beagle Wrote: Hype Mode Activated: Please be on Linux...

It's from Bethesda, so NOPE. Sad

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Smilecythe - 06-13-2016

If you can turn textures off, if you can put fullbright models, if it has Aerowalk and if Sarge has a cigar in his mouth then I'll consider buying it.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - shogun_assassin - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 07:38 AM)Mirio Wrote: I guess this is only happening as DOOM was successful for them and they're just trying to milk the Quake franchise a last time.
A character with wallhack ability? Please fix .. Sad

Seeing those abilities in the trailer, I predict that it's an attempt to get on Overwatch train in Quake coat. Everything adds up.

(06-13-2016, 11:46 AM)Maddin Wrote:
(06-13-2016, 02:27 AM)Beagle Wrote: Hype Mode Activated: Please be on Linux...
It's from Bethesda, so NOPE. Sad

Indeed that's not happening. See QL for rather extreme example.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Cortez666 - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 05:29 AM)SPLAT Wrote: Theres no way a company like Bethesda is gonna commit resources on an old school Quake remake and expect to make any sort of reasonable profit.

release on a console?

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - aa - 06-13-2016

Bethesda - taking good franchises and fuckin them up hard since...

Don't think this sort of thing will ever work. Not with arena games. Not in the next 20 years. I think It is possible to make a rather normal and truthful game from Quake of they took up the Quake 2/4 line with the human/strogg conflict, but those one are not exactly arena games, so once again, success is limited.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - SPLAT - 06-13-2016

(06-13-2016, 01:06 PM)Cortez666 Wrote:
(06-13-2016, 05:29 AM)SPLAT Wrote: Theres no way a company like Bethesda is gonna commit resources on an old school Quake remake and expect to make any sort of reasonable profit.

release on a console?

I believe its PC only

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - kojn^ - 06-14-2016

(06-13-2016, 12:45 PM)Smilecythe Wrote: If you can turn textures off, if you can put fullbright models, if it has Aerowalk and if Sarge has a cigar in his mouth then I'll consider buying it.

What about if it didn't have Sarge with a cigar in his mouth, but a Mossepo model with a cigar in his mouth?

I'd definitely buy.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - boomboom - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 06:32 AM)kojn^ Wrote: What about if it didn't have Sarge with a cigar in his mouth, but a Mossepo model with a cigar in his mouth?

I'd definitely buy.

its a Quake Champions, so the best you will get is a model of Chi... Champion_The with the d... dart in his a... abs.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Beagle - 06-14-2016

They better make this on Linux and Mac just like all the other Quake games. If they don't, then they are a failure.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - VertX - 06-14-2016

(06-14-2016, 06:40 PM)Beagle Wrote: They better make this on Linux and Mac just like all the other Quake games. If they don't, then they are a failure.

Suprisingly Doom 2016 hasn't had a Linux port yet.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Smilecythe - 06-16-2016

Copy paste from ESR:

a)All classic quake modes including 1vs1
b)Picking up all weapons
c)Timing all items
d)Maybe more focused on Team vs Team for e-sports
e)No way its gonna get released for consoles - maximum performance and capabilities
f)Taking opinions from veteran/pro quake players, some testing it themselves (quake lab)
g)120hz unlocked fps- strafe/rocket jumping and air control (already known)
h)Classic arena style quake game with the addition of champions

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Cortez666 - 06-16-2016

2 reasons to be still suspicious.

no gameplay shown & no aerowalk ^^.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Maddin - 06-17-2016

Thanks Smilecythe for the video! They really should have added those informations in the first place when showing the teaser trailer, then people wouldn't be so suspicious. Big Grin To me this sounds good, it's probably the right direction they are heading to.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Beagle - 06-17-2016

The Former Quake 3 Announcer has something to say to you.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - qwertyuiop924 - 07-12-2016

(06-16-2016, 03:05 PM)Smilecythe Wrote:
Copy paste from ESR:

a)All classic quake modes including 1vs1
b)Picking up all weapons
c)Timing all items
d)Maybe more focused on Team vs Team for e-sports
e)No way its gonna get released for consoles - maximum performance and capabilities
f)Taking opinions from veteran/pro quake players, some testing it themselves (quake lab)
g)120hz unlocked fps- strafe/rocket jumping and air control (already known)
h)Classic arena style quake game with the addition of champions

Hah, maybe this won't suck after all... I mean Doom 16 SP (the part id had a hand in) was quite good, and these are all good signs.

But it's possible the non-heroes mode will go dead in both competitive and non-competitive arenas, and then we'll be screwed.

As for aerowalk, I kinda hate aerowalk. But that's just because I haven't gotten good at it yet ;-).

And as for the obvious lack of linux, seeing as Dave Taylor (id's one mad linux guy - Carmack hated linux) has long since packed up, the use of opengl and vulkan means that wine will probably be able to run it with little to no overhead, just like Doom 16.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Beagle - 07-13-2016

I don't like using Wine, no thanks. Wine = Lack of Fps for me.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Smilecythe - 07-13-2016

I've gotta feeling it's gonna play a bit like NTF (not team fortress) in CPMA, except with pickups. And as much fun as it is in CTF, it's not a consistent setup that works for duel/dm as well. Team games will end up playing very different in QC, pretty much no matter what and that's gonna be uncharacteristically inconsistent for a Quake game.

RE: Quake Champions!? A NEW QUAKE!? - Ch4mp - 07-13-2016

this looks very interesting and even the word CHAMPIONS made me stuck. They could send me a key for their close beta coz I've become strong in FPS arena genre.