Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] New name for the "Nex" - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] New name for the "Nex" (/showthread.php?tid=630)

New name for the "Nex" - Antibody - 06-25-2010

The purpose of this poll is to identify some potential new names for the "Nex" gun.

See the following thread for the discussion that led to this poll: http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=605

RE: New name for the "Nex" - MirceaKitsune - 06-25-2010

Flux Rifle seems most reasonable to me from that list.

I've been thinking about this though. Perhaps we could leave the Nex called a Nex. Because it doesn't need to relate to Nexuiz necessarily. It can just be a random name or a name to... remind us of old times if anything, and a small name that lived through the Nexuiz -> Xonotic transition Tongue

RE: New name for the "Nex" - jaykay - 06-25-2010

while i cant say "yes, lets keep the name nex" i also cant say "we need another name". i think a new name is not necessary.

RE: New name for the "Nex" - Antibody - 06-25-2010

The poll isn't deciding definitively whether or not to change the name. It is just to provide data to the core team on what popular names it could be changed to should they be inclined.

RE: New name for the "Nex" - FruitieX - 06-25-2010

Or how about just "Rail".

RE: New name for the "Nex" - Roanoke - 06-25-2010

How original Tongue

RE: New name for the "Nex" - kojn^ - 06-25-2010

How about just 'gun'?

FrutieX shall we combine? Big Grin

RE: New name for the "Nex" - The mysterious Mr. 4m - 06-25-2010

Ooff, i picked "Viper", because i think its link to something real and common can let people easily associate it with a trait; "its bite is dangerous".
On the other hand, that could lead to the problem that the real counterpart character will be forced upon the weapon, making changes necessary that would affect its functioning; "its bite is venomous". (but i think that could prove interesting)

Regarding names starting with X i don't feel comfortable with any suggestions that have been posted. "Xonic", "Xonar".... "Xion"? (my favs) - it all is awkward.
BUT why should THAT gun be representative for Xonotic, anyway?

Then there could be a common naming pattern used for all weapons:
XPress
XTazer
XTelzior
XCaliber (LOLWTF?!)

(It's funny, because "XCaliber" sounds like "Excalibur")

Quote:i picked "Viper", because i think its link to something real and common can let people easily associate it with a trait

That's really why I picked Flux (it is common to say that something is "in flux" to mean it is changing or unstable). A flux is akin to a vector in math, which has similar characteristics to the weapon when it is fired (straight and small).

RE: New name for the "Nex" - clanclanclan - 06-25-2010

I do like the name REAPR, it feels so experimental and Web 2.0© (reapR). In the end I had to vote Flux Rifle though, because:

- It sounds quite nice
- Still has technical connotations, though these do not have to be understood in order to understand the name as a whole
- REAPR feels like a name for a large, bulky, unwieldy, DANGEROUS weapon. I think it might be better suited to a vehicle or the fireball.

RE: New name for the "Nex" - kay - 06-25-2010

Yes! I got the RAPER... ehh REAPR.

Tongue

I will go for the FLUX rifle

Quote:Yes! I got the RAPER... ehh REAPR.

I make similar mistakes when I'm giving pubic addresses. I mean, er, public addresses.

RE: New name for the "Nex" - Roanoke - 06-25-2010

(06-25-2010, 07:00 PM)clanclanclan Wrote: DANGEROUS weapon. I think it might be better suited to a vehicle or the fireball.
The nex is not dangerous?

RE: New name for the "Nex" - clanclanclan - 06-25-2010

Roanoke Wrote:The nex is not dangerous?

I meant dangerous to EVERYONE (including the user). Hence the big red lettering Big Grin

RE: New name for the "Nex" - kuniu the frogg - 06-27-2010

(06-25-2010, 11:04 PM)clanclanclan Wrote:
Roanoke Wrote:The nex is not dangerous?

I meant dangerous to EVERYONE (including the user). Hence the big red lettering Big Grin

yea, REAPR sounds like a weapon of mass destruction containing lots of fireworks, huge explosions, `BOOOM!!!`, hands and legs flying around separately and stuff... While nex is rather clean, killing with surgical precision.

I also vote for `flux`

RE: New name for the "Nex" - Exitium - 06-27-2010

Flux reminds me Fluxbox. Undecided

Xon has the same name logic like Nex had. And Xon isn't even bad name, I like it.