Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 06-13-2011

Looks very sweet, kuniu the frogg!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Minkovsky - 06-13-2011

Did some work on pipe:
[Image: tOTFvaA][Image: tOTFvaQ][Image: tOTFvag][Image: tOTFvaw]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Lord Canistra - 06-13-2011

Can't get the point. Isn't that too much for HDR?
Got soft sun shadows and prop shadowing to work
http://ompldr.org/vOTF6YQ

Also, I'm concerned about how to implement the gameplay idea I have. It's that I want to make players able to begin fire sequence for the tower (which, in fact, is some kind of energy/ion cannon). It'll have 30 seconds preparation stage, when some powerful bonuses and extra weapons will be available inside the main hall and the tower. Then comes firing stage, which will burn down all the players who didn't manage to escape in time. That itself is already implemented, but the effect part seems harder to me.
First, I need to find a way to turn on and off particular light entities to imitate lighting from the cannon beam. relay_activate and relay_deactivate don't seem to have effect on this. Second, some means to interact with shader parameters from within the game must be found (e.g. for changing textures or applying special effects to them) for the duration of firing stage.
Or maybe it's better to remove ability to launch it manually and set the cannon to fire on certain intervals instead? Although that wouldn't be as much fun as first variant. Those who have played Half-Life Deathmatch surely remember the crossfire map. Launching firing sequence immediately turned gameplay on 180 degrees, as all players from every part of the map began to rush towards bunker with losers getting smashed in an airstrike. I'd prefer that kind of gameplay here.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Leeloo - 06-13-2011

I'am working on that, it is my first map. I started from evilspace map made by cortez666 and FruitieX. There is so much left to do about graphism and texturing but the map is ready to play and it rocks.

[Image: tOTF6aA]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Minkovsky - 06-14-2011

(06-13-2011, 09:36 PM)Lord Canistra Wrote: First, I need to find a way to turn on and off particular light entities to imitate lighting from the cannon beam. relay_activate and relay_deactivate don't seem to have effect on this. Second, some means to interact with shader parameters from within the game must be found (e.g. for changing textures or applying special effects to them) for the duration of firing stage.
Or maybe it's better to remove ability to launch it manually and set the cannon to fire on certain intervals instead? Although that wouldn't be as much fun as first variant. Those who have played Half-Life Deathmatch surely remember the crossfire map. Launching firing sequence immediately turned gameplay on 180 degrees, as all players from every part of the map began to rush towards bunker with losers getting smashed in an airstrike. I'd prefer that kind of gameplay here.

This needs more attention. As for myself, I'd like to see mapQC, or at least ability to add some sort of extended scripting to the map. (Yes, I know the crossfire map. It was fun.) As a matter of fact, this should be done in singleplayer, for various details and cutscenes. I don't know if it's going to get done in the main game, or will the sp team have to do this themselves.

Or maybe CSQC operating on a map with some hack triggers on it? The firing sequence would be triggered by a button, but it could be intercepted by csqc function...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - CuBe0wL - 06-14-2011

In my mind, I already know how to create a large field, with a bunker inside, with a button, that can trigger laser strikes from orbiting laser cannons, full with effects, explosions, after-fires etc. It's not really hard to do, but takes a lot, precise hand-by hand linking of various types of trigger entities.
Turning on/off lights is not possible in q3bsp, forget it.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Lord Canistra - 06-14-2011

Quote:As for myself, I'd like to see mapQC
Yeshhh, that's exactly what I was thinking about the whole time after posting here. Some .dat files with standartized names (like sv_mymap.dat and cl_mymap.dat), which would contain various functions. There may be "think" functions or simple ones, which then may be invoked from within the game via "target: SVQC.MyFunction()". I feel so bad about it cause I don't have enough knowledge in C to try and implement this myself.

And yes, explosions and even dynamic lights might not be hard to do, but I had an idea of enabling glowing relief and changing colors on those plates. This would surely require shader manipulation. It would be awesome to have any way to do so, using QC or other scripting language.

"changing colors on those plates."

func_wall already can do that Tongue

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Minkovsky - 06-14-2011

(06-14-2011, 04:18 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: Turning on/off lights is not possible in q3bsp, forget it.

Do other compilers support that? Maybe hmap2 does.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Lord Canistra - 06-14-2011

Yeah, kind of brush overlay (func_door/wall/whatever) with different shader could do the trick. But it's all hax, dirty, dirty hacks.
I'll better start learning start learning about C and QC. Despite the amounts of time it may take, there is no other pretty way around. An engine should have it's flexibility, and what we have here for level designers is naught but same old good Quake-styled entity manipulations. Graphics were improved, game mechanics were improved, but they're not really tied together as they should be.
Maybe I don't know much about the DP engine, reasons for this and that, but again, I'd better inquire the roots of the problem and see what can be done rather than train my trickery trying to do something that engine isn't designed for at all. This is lot of fun, yep, in past I had spent lots of time doing same perverted stuff in various Half-Life mods. But it's not serious at all, trying to squeeze last drops out of old engine rather than implement the stuff you need.
I'm not forcing anyone to help me, just my thoughts on that.
Quote:Do other compilers support that? Maybe hmap2 does.
I bet he meant engine map format itself there.

We're going offtopic here, but yes, I've ment the quake3 compatible bsp, that Xonotic uses. It can be done in Half-Life (and no surprise, q2bsp!) however.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 06-14-2011

(06-14-2011, 09:52 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: We're going offtopic here,

ok then lets get back on topic.

[Image: n4q8mpx92tbicoyqdpoq_thumb.jpg]
here is my latest attempt for some vertical gameplay

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - noobermin - 06-14-2011

Now that looks fun. We don't have too much complex vertical action with the current maps imo.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - theShadow - 06-15-2011

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Minkovsky - 06-15-2011

Looks pretty sweet.
Update from Pipe development:
[Image: tOTJzZQ][Image: tOTJzZg][Image: tOTJzZw][Image: tOTJzaA][Image: tOTJzaQ]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 06-15-2011

[Image: 0u6qmn502bf8npb3ew1m_thumb.jpg]

some updates

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - noobermin - 06-15-2011

(06-15-2011, 09:50 AM)theShadow Wrote: awesome shit

SAUERBRATEN DEVS, WHERE YOU AT!?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 06-16-2011

Cheers to theShadow with that map Big Grin

@ Leeloo: I like that reforming of Evilspace, from what I can see in the screenshot Smile

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Minkovsky - 06-16-2011

[Image: tOTNiZg][Image: tOTNiZw][Image: tOTNiaA][Image: tOTNiaQ][Image: tOTNiag]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Rad Ished - 06-16-2011

weeeee, this thread is getting HOT HOT HOT, nice work guys.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - unfa - 06-16-2011

The Shadow: This looks good! I love it! It reminds me Unreal a bit. The high cliffs around our path. Good way to limit the map size.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - CuBe0wL - 06-20-2011

[Image: tulcj9bapkssa95ruf_thumb.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Sepelio - 06-21-2011

Hehe that screenshot reminds me of Duplo blocks for some reason. I think its just the stark contrast between the different colours.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Strahlemann - 06-22-2011

[Image: xz0umrihdk3graadfxu0_thumb.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Squigger - 06-22-2011

What map is this pic from? THAT IS LEGIT!!!! Nice pic Strahleman Smile