Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 04-08-2012

[Image: kziy8oxf7amssrg3yed_thumb.jpg][Image: uee7idal972mjsm2qvyf_thumb.jpg][Image: a8bqanw65lj0d2yqz0i_thumb.jpg]

for everyone who doesnt like imagebin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC] - 04-14-2012

Thanks to qbit who helped me with the terrain!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 04-14-2012

Nice... very nice to all the new maps

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Droid - 04-15-2012

Well im kinda doing a map now but as always it will be unfinished Tongue

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 04-15-2012

As I´m very unhappy with the look of the snowy themed warfare map with the exx texture pack I decided to give the new texture packs a try. And with the phillipk02 textures applied it looks way better in my opinion.

[Image: warfare2.jpg]

The exx textures are used by nearly every official Xonotic map and the phillipk02 textures aren´t. Also the exx textures don´t fit a cold or light environment. They need some warm place with lava or a sunset.

Oh and don´t comment on the texture alignment of the screenshot, it looks ugly I know. Tongue It´s just that you get a general impression.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 04-15-2012

bad choice of textures. the texture set makes it way to bright. why dont you combine texture sets?

Cortez666 Wrote:bad choice of textures. the texture set makes it way to bright.
Cortez, why can´t a map be bright? Is it a faux-pas? The lights will be scaled down, but not that much. It´s also more bight because of the HDR and bloom effects, but still, why not a bright map? I think we have tons(/enough) of dark, rusty, and evil looking maps, it´s time for a change!

Cortez666 Wrote:why dont you combine texture sets?
I do combine some minor textures from other sets but if you mix different texture sets the risk is high to make your map look messed up and disharmonious.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC] - 04-15-2012

You can use them but I agree with Cortez666: They don't really fit. I'm not sure if I can explain why.
Maybe they just don't fit to the map warfare as they look quite realistic and the map does not. Or warfare just needs some darker textures or I just don't like the way you used them and it looks great if you use them in a different way.
I use them too as you can see in the screenshot I posted ( scroll up). I combined them with exx textures and (I hope) it looks well. I guess it's because my map is more realistic.

Maybe you got irritated by the weird texture alignment? What´s wrong with me? I like it very much. :S

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - theShadow - 04-15-2012

i think the problem isn't JUST that it's bright, but that it's all bright. giving the map more contrast would look much nicer.

also, bright textures look bad with bloom, which is another reason you have to have some balance.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 04-15-2012

Nice port of Warfare there! It looks very awesome with those textures. I certainly approve of this as an official map once it's ready.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Archer - 04-15-2012

It doesn't look that bad, just the allignment, but you already said that.

Maybe you can make that upper rim on the upper floor black too, just like the lower edge there, see if it looks good, and if not, just slap me silly with a shotgun Tongue

Hmm, what about this:
[Image: warfare1.jpg]
(I like it btw)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - [CCC]KINGSHOT[CCC] - 04-15-2012

Looks good but not snowy anymore, heh?

The reason is that there aren´t any snowy textures (except one ice terrain texture) and no fitting texture packs!

this one looks much more harmonic.

I´m glad to hear that. Maybe I should start a separate thread for this discussion. It´s too much for this topic.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - kuniu the frogg - 04-15-2012

(04-15-2012, 12:42 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: this one looks much more harmonic.

because it's all grey Wink no, seriously, it looks nice, really nice.
I need to learn how to make such nice terrain.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mepper - 04-15-2012

You should indeed make a thread for it. I believe what is happening now is exactly what C.Brutail said he wanted for new maps Big Grin

(04-15-2012, 01:24 PM)kuniu the frogg Wrote:
(04-15-2012, 12:42 PM)Cortez666 Wrote: this one looks much more harmonic.
because it's all grey Wink
you could say that the other screenshot was all white.
but grey is better to look at then white.

(04-15-2012, 01:24 PM)kuniu the frogg Wrote: I need to learn how to make such nice terrain.
everything you need to know about terrain blending, can be found here http://www.simonoc.com/pages/articles/terrain2_1.htm

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Leeloo - 04-16-2012

[Image: tZGVrYQ]
================
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
================
[Image: tZGVrYw]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - frostwyrm333 - 04-16-2012

nice pics, reminds me of portal. I like the obstructed red light

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-16-2012

quite nice ... although part of the concrete ceiling on the second looks like concrete normally used for walls

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Squigger - 04-16-2012

Nice Job Leelo, Keep it up Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 04-17-2012

Woah Leelo, that looks VERY promising! Awesome design, I love it!