Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cyber Killer - 11-10-2012

Hmmm... I'll keep this in mind and check if it's working good enough when I actually write the code for the chooser.

Currently it looks like this:
[Image: ckdesktop20120631.png]
I can add icons on the buttons or replace the text with an icon altogether, but that's for later.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - s1lence - 11-10-2012

i'll work on the design more and address further use cases tomorrow, it's almost midnight so i'd better get to sleep at some point.

edit: what do you mean write the code for the chooser, are you not using the OS defaults?

EDIT: or not, i'll try to get it knocked out tomorrow.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 11-11-2012

[Image: hty0005x-metaltrim-0001.png]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 11-11-2012

good trim texture

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cyber Killer - 11-11-2012

(11-10-2012, 02:43 AM)s1lencer Wrote: edit: what do you mean write the code for the chooser, are you not using the OS defaults?

Yeah, but it still needs to be written to open the window, just a couple of lines of code, but still :-).

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 11-11-2012

@hutty
Looks great! It looks a little, well sorry for the bad word, cartoon'ish, or not cartoon'ish but it doesn't really look real if you know what I mean. If it fits with the rest of the pack it'll probably work out awesome! Smile

@Cortez
Wow you're being positive. Wink

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-13-2012

Nice job, huty! Make it shader! I know how hard is it to make a texture only by yourself (tried many times and failed). Keep your work up, its always good to see new textures (Xonotic DEFINITELY needs new set)Dodgy

Here is my WIP:

[Image: swim.jpg]

As you can see map is almost finished, damn mabye I should record VODs or sth like this?Undecided

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 11-13-2012

[Image: 3RR4Gk75TBzRbQ1C1ara17]

wow ... you are very fast when it comes to mapping ...
(is that a ctf map?)

now ... about the texture pack im working on ... (currently called hty0005x)
what would you like to see in it?
I'm taking suggestions ...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Archer - 11-14-2012

(11-13-2012, 05:50 PM)Justin Wrote: Nice job, huty! Make it shader! I know how hard is it to make a texture only by yourself (tried many times and failed). Keep your work up, its always good to see new textures (Xonotic DEFINITELY needs new set)Dodgy

Here is my WIP:

As you can see map is almost finished, damn mabye I should record VODs or sth like this?Undecided

Was this the one you were talking about? Looks pretty neat looking at the screens Tongue

Is it big?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 11-14-2012

(11-13-2012, 05:50 PM)Justin Wrote: Nice job, huty! Make it shader! I know how hard is it to make a texture only by yourself (tried many times and failed). Keep your work up, its always good to see new textures (Xonotic DEFINITELY needs new set)Dodgy

Here is my WIP:

That map looks very nice, I like!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-14-2012

Hutty:
Your new set could contain:

Several trims (as good as the one you presented),
few similar style panes for walls with screws (like aircrfat panels)
some electricity panels (like in PhilipK 2)
professional glass (with variations: stains, broken glass decals)
mabye one or two floor tiles textures (also: clean and dirty variation)

This set style could be futuristic and become good set for metal panels different then exx (more clean).

The screenshot I posted is a map in progress. It is a small ctf map. I lack good glass shader for it though. Im happy to hear you like what you see!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - s1lence - 11-14-2012

I have yet to see any good glass in xonotic.

currently we have trak 5 glass:

[Image: best_glass_ever.jpg]

It looks like sh*

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 11-14-2012

First of all you should always use clipweapon for your glass brushes and then only texture the faces which are seen! Second, a good looking glass shader with good performance is created by using a blurred, tiled and slightly modified brightness-contrast environment map. Look at Warfare (link in my signature) as an example (including sources of course).

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 11-14-2012

[Image: 3hns0l5G9DeqMCeJ3bZMRO]

Maddin is mostly right ...

trak5 glass may be ugly ... but it is flixable ... there is no situation where it will look horridly out of place ...
(afterslime uses this)

cube map glass has to be custom made for the environment that it is put in

also ... It only works on small glass patches because of the way a cube map works ... a large area will not look right while you are moving ...
(redplanet and solarium use this)

The prettiest glass uses reflections ... however this drains your performance is used improperly ... (the old nexus map starship uses this glass properly)

The other thing that will make glass look great is distortion ... but this only works right with the reflection glass (otherwise you get this horrid z-fighting) ...

so ... glass is no easy matter ...

Maddin, You are definitely mostly right. MOSTLY. Because the map from the screenshot is not mine. I know about caulk/no draw but the mapper when making this map probably did not (but Im sure now this mapper knows it and should fix it soon)

And also: Xonotic hasn't given good normal glass (without artificial reflexions) example, sorry. By glass I mean: glass, transparent, semi-transparent with all great scratches and stains and details on it.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-14-2012

I am also working on a texture set, from time to time.) I already have 6,5 textures done, excluding bare textures. They all have diffuse, specular and normal maps. I am wondering if there is any point in texture resolution of 4096x4096? I would be thakful if sombody gives me a link to a good shader writing tutorial. ill post somescreenshots as soon as posible.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 11-14-2012

(11-14-2012, 03:53 PM)aa Wrote: I am wondering if there is any point in texture resolution of 4096x4096?

nope. that would be pointless. the exomorph uses some 2048x2048 and the are already extraordinary

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - HellYeah - 11-14-2012

(11-14-2012, 03:22 PM)hutty Wrote: [Image: 3hns0l5G9DeqMCeJ3bZMRO]

cube map glass has to be custom made for the environment that it is put in

Autocubemaps would fix this. COD4 uses autocubemaps.

I'd like to see something similar to the blue tech textures from unreal 1 and the alien tech textures.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 11-14-2012

(11-14-2012, 09:12 PM)HellYeah Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 03:22 PM)hutty Wrote: cube map glass has to be custom made for the environment that it is put in

Yes they would ... I believe I menationed that before in this thread ...

Its even used for dynamic scope reflections ...
It still wouldn't look right on large surfaces though ....

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - HellYeah - 11-14-2012

(11-14-2012, 09:31 PM)hutty Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 09:12 PM)HellYeah Wrote:
(11-14-2012, 03:22 PM)hutty Wrote: cube map glass has to be custom made for the environment that it is put in

Yes they would ... I believe I menationed that before in this thread ...

Its even used for dynamic scope reflections ...
It still wouldn't look right on large surfaces though ....

It would look good on large surfaces. Quite good. (See Cube/Saurebrauten engine). And you know it Smile

Sure, real reflections look BETTER, and you can do that if you want, but there is a big performance hit then.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 11-15-2012

[Image: 3hns0l5G9DeqMCeJ3bZMRO]

but the issue is it is only a sample from a fixed point ...
so everywhere except one exact point ... the reflection will be wrong ...

It may look great for other uses (blured and such) ... but it is no replacement for a reflective surface

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - HellYeah - 11-15-2012

(11-15-2012, 07:43 PM)hutty Wrote: [Image: 3hns0l5G9DeqMCeJ3bZMRO]

but the issue is it is only a sample from a fixed point ...
so everywhere except one exact point ... the reflection will be wrong ...

It may look great for other uses (blured and such) ... but it is no replacement for a reflective surface

When the choice is no reflection because person turns off reflections because they kill performance and nice cube map that to the maths "doesn't look right" but looks fine to any player, I think the choice is clear.

I feel that you're arguing from the perspective of "engine currently doesn't support this, I must accept this" and you know that autocubemaps would actually be a good thing for reflections off of translucent glass and water in the absence of true reflections. Curve patchmeshes can't do true reflections for instance

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - s1lence - 11-15-2012

(11-14-2012, 03:53 PM)aa Wrote: I am wondering if there is any point in texture resolution of 4096x4096?

yes, future-proofing. obviously you'll want to distribute them at a lower resolution, but an insane-res version will be usable years from now.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 11-16-2012

Besides, if the goal is inclusion in git, the team's licensing interpretation says you need to give them the sources you work with. So, if you work at 4096x4096, you should give them that and not a downsampled version of your sources.