Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 04-17-2014

Thank you guys for kind words. Mircea: I do agree. Xonotic needs some fresh air in level designing and this can be achived providing we have a high quality textures other then metallic ones and also by bringing up level designers from different games who can adopt their designing style into Xonotic's. This can be done by organizing mapping competitions and adding extra conditions to them: Like style change or custom textures (?)

Other problem occures: Huge texture base cgtextures can't be used for Xonotic because its not GPL therfefore we are stuck with old ones unless some pro texture maker comes in and decides to release his/her work under GPL. Tongue
Frostwyrm: Im not sure about the crystal texture either. What would be ok for you?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - frostwyrm333 - 04-17-2014

I dunno, crystalier? Well, it looks like metallic crystal but its sort of bland.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 04-17-2014

OpenGameArt has some nice textures, with good licenses for Xonotic (GPLv2 and GPLv3):

http://opengameart.org/art-search-advanced?keys=&field_art_type_tid%5B%5D=14&field_art_licenses_tid%5B%5D=6&field_art_licenses_tid%5B%5D=5&field_art_tags_tid_op=and&field_art_tags_tid=&name=&sort_by=created&sort_order=DESC&items_per_page=144&Collection=
http://opengameart.org/content/30-grass-textures-tilable

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 04-18-2014

Thank you Mario. Anyway: I was asked today to make use of some other software and I quickly (4 hours) made the rock model. Tools I used are available for free, all textures are GPL friendly.
[Image: middle_prev0.jpg]=>>[Image: middle_prev1.jpg]

some texturing and final result:

[Image: middle_prev3.jpg]=>>[Image: middle_prev2.jpg]
I have problem with seams. It seams that my model is not textured properly around the edges. Any tips how to deal with it? Why it happens?
I found about MESHLAB for optimazing your models and it makes wonders! I highly recomend it. I was able to go down (town) to less then 10 000 triangles.
I also encourage mappers to use XNORMAL for baking normal maps. All you need to do is to inport there 2 versions of your model (with UVW's): Low poly and High poly. The software will do the rest for ya.
EDIT: I managed to fix the seams and I created small map with floating rocks:
[Image: prev_flot1.jpg]=>>[Image: prev_flot2.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Ari - 04-18-2014

Map Skybowl, pretty simple 80% done, i plan to add 3 or 4 modes more and change the balance for INV mode to make it harder.

[Image: xonotic20140415032846-00.jpg]

The deathfloor is pretty low to have good hook movement below the bowl, works well with minsta/overkill/weapons

Actually supports CTF/DM/TDM/DOM/CA/KA/INV/INF/FT/VIP/LMS/KH 3 teams

I plan to add support to Race/CTS and maybe NB/ONS

Justin your rocks look amazing Smile

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 05-19-2014

Good textures I found on the page you linked, Mario are relased under CC 3.0 for exaple which is completly uncompatible with GPL. Fear not I started creating my own textures and I also included some of my drawings on the map in a specific way. Do you like this idea?
Im sorry for slow progress but I have important period at university and I cannot afford to spend too much time in front of designing. I also give myself specific tasks and things I mainly focus on rather then polishing old projects, thats why it takes so long for me to make something public. Give me some more time and patiance.I made some textures and changes. Take a look.
[Image: xono_shot1.jpg] X [Image: xono_shot2.jpg]
There are really fantastic ways to make good quality materials in Darkplaces. It takse some effort and a lot of time though Smile As you can see I am still struggling with proper crystal texture, I simply lack time to think about it !
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90490112/xono_shot3.jpg
Things I will be woring on: Ivy and more grass and ground to give map less industrial feeling, more natural environment.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 05-20-2014

Holy shit, is it a duel map? =o

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 05-21-2014

(05-19-2014, 02:58 PM)Justin Wrote: Good textures I found on the page you linked, Mario are relased under CC 3.0 for exaple which is completly uncompatible with GPL.

A lot of the textures there are dual licensed under GPL and CC-BY. The search page I linked shows all the textures with GPL 2.0 and 3.0 licenses.

Not sure how dual licensing a texture under 2 incompatible licenses is supposed to work, but I assume they're usable in Xonotic.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 05-21-2014

AFAIK, a copyright holder can do dual licensing under any license. If you acquire the work, you can choose to do so under the license of your choice. We can include the work as either a GPL work or a CC-BY work.

Besides, aren't CC-BY and GPL compatible anyway?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - deoxys - 05-21-2014

(05-21-2014, 01:17 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Besides, aren't CC-BY and GPL compatible anyway?

CC-BY is compatible, CC-BY-SA is not.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 05-21-2014

crazy! That will speed up the things hugely!
It was supposed to be DM map but now I change it to fit duel as well. Which game type needs new maps in Xonotic? ONS? CTF?

(05-21-2014, 09:04 AM)Justin Wrote: crazy! That will speed up the things hugely!
It was supposed to be DM map but now I change it to fit duel as well. Which game type needs new maps in Xonotic? ONS? CTF?

PM me, i'd love to help you out Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - sev - 05-21-2014

(05-21-2014, 06:46 AM)fa1nt Wrote: CC-BY is compatible, CC-BY-SA is not.

The last time I checked, GNU clearly states that CC-BY is not compatible with the GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#ccby Wrote:Please don't use it for software or documentation, since it is incompatible with the GNU GPL and with the GNU FDL.

Unless there is official endorsement of the CC-BY by the dev team, you should be careful and maybe first ask divVerent.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 05-21-2014

I guess that (mostly) settles it.

that's odd, since there are CC-BY-licensed assets in a ton of maps/etc and no one has batted an eye. I was told it by someone pertaining to the project, don't remember who atm

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 05-21-2014

(05-21-2014, 09:04 AM)Justin Wrote: crazy! That will speed up the things hugely!

Onslaught could use some outdoor terrain maps, CTF some medium sized open maps.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - deoxys - 05-22-2014

CTF and straight DM maps, by far.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 05-22-2014

2 team onslaught wasn't crazy enough...

[Image: xonotic20140523015834-00_mini.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - lamefun - 05-22-2014

(05-21-2014, 12:07 PM)sev Wrote: Unless there is official endorsement of the CC-BY by the dev team, you should be careful and maybe first ask divVerent.

Well, this is a loss for free software and a win for proprietary software then.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 05-22-2014

Oh, shutup, will you.

Edit: ok, I admit that was an unqualified comment, and being a moderator I'm not entitled to such a thing. So apologies for that.

BUT

I'm personally really sick and tired of reading those comments you tend to drop that are obviously only aiming to provoke people to discuss YOUR topics. I hereby ask you nicely to drop that behavior, because people on this forum are just too darn mature to fall for that apparently (I'm a bit surprised myself occasionally). Probably it's because of MrBougo spreading reason and calmness everywhere. It may work elsewhere, if it does, fine, go there and do it there.

I'm not raising your warning level for now.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 05-23-2014

Justin, your works are awesome!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 05-24-2014

Thank you, aa. This is a screenshot from the map Crystal cave I recently released:
[Image: crystal5.jpg]
Thank you Mircea Kitsune for complaining about the current state of xonotic art style Wink The idea of plants for this map came at the final stages and its worth the effort I think.
ops. post edited

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 05-24-2014

(05-24-2014, 07:17 AM)Justin Wrote: Thank you, aa. This is a screenshot from the map Crystal cave I recently released:
[Image: crystal5.jpg]
Thank you Mircea Kitsune for complaining about the current state of xonotic art style Wink The idea of plants for this map came at the final stages and its worth the effort I think.
ops. post edited

Beautiful! That's a great style there... love the touch with the plants. And thank you also for working on making the style more interesting and diverse Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 05-24-2014

Since you were speaking abot new non-mlitary styles, found myself thinking of a non military weapon. Pacifism emmiter? Pacifier?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - unfa - 05-30-2014

Great work, Justin! That looks like an entirely new and fresh feel to Xonotic's world. Keep it up! Smile

aa: Maybe a healing/repair gun? I wish I could fix a broken spidertankthingy...