Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 09-05-2014

No, I used the ANT-landscape plugin. It´s already in Blender but you have to activate it in the settings. Besides that it´s also possible to create nice looking terrain with a displacement modifier from a musgrave texture created in Blender Render (not really possible in Cycles though as of version 2.71).

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 09-05-2014

You didn't receive my message, Maddin, did you? Sad

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 09-17-2014

Working on some logo animation - for a fragmovie and/or (if desired) for the official trailer:

[Image: logo-animation-thumb.png]

Done in Blender, rendered with cycles engine. It dissolves top-down, leaving only the glowing frame. Maybe I make the frame glow after the particles left, I'm undecided yet. The entire thing is of course in 3D, a camera path will reveal the logo outlines as a thin 3D frame around the solid parts.

This is work in progress, I'm not entirely happy with the particles yet and will polish it still but I'm overall happy to have gotten that far in the first place :oD

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 09-17-2014

Wow, nice to see that you are working with Blender too and got this great result so far! Smile One thing that bugs me is the colour concept in your animation. There is too much variation (green, yellow, orange, white, blue, cyan, rust). Stick to the main colours (blue and orange) from the logo and only use small shades if needed.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 09-17-2014

Yes, I will have to work on the colors - they are, in the materials, original color codes of the official logo, but what blender does to them makes them look slightly different. For example the greenish glow around the ring is actually bright blue, but the blur shaders seem to transform the color too much. As for the orange and yellow, that's how sparkles behave... I'm not sure if I can actually change this? I can hardly make the sparkles use Xonotic color scheme and still look like sparkles... I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the feedback though, I've looked at this so much that I've grown used to these colors already :oD

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 09-21-2014

Fixed colors a bit and now with turbulences for the sparkles flying around! I found out that rendering via CUDA using large tiles results in about 20% of the previous rendering time YAY!

[Image: xonotic.2.thumb.png]

And I tried some blue sparkles that would go better with the blue-ish color theme of Xonotic, but I think the color scheme above is way better (let me know what you people think):

[Image: xonotic.3.thumb.png]

EDIT: oh, and I KNOW the head is wrong way, I'm going to fix that still of course.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Ari - 09-21-2014

I also think that the color scheme of the first one is way better(at least from the screenshot)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Smilecythe - 09-23-2014

Maybe make blue parts dissolve to blue particles and orange parts to orange particles?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - The mysterious Mr. 4m - 09-27-2014

I'm definitely a fan of the blue version. Tongue

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 10-08-2014

Little project I have been working in my leisure time. Done with UDK and lots of other software (some of it I had to pay for Sad.) I will be releasing it soon on the UT3 forums.
Don't worry! This does not mean that I won't create any content for Xonotic anymore! Think about it as an experiment and next step in LD! YAY!

[Image: harbour-img3.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - toneddu2000 - 10-08-2014

Great work Justin!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 10-08-2014

Looks jity cool! What's the software?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 10-09-2014

Thanks!

UDK -Unreal Development Kit for putting things together with fog, lighting, material creation (software is free)
3dsMax - modeling (the closest free program is Blender)
Photoshop -texturing and plugin called NDO2 - for bump maps. (you can use Gimp which is for free and does similar things)
X-normal for normal mapping (software is free)
Mudbox for sculpturing
[Image: harbour-img1.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - frostwyrm333 - 10-09-2014

Photoshop I get, but mudbox and 3dmax for map props? That's a bit extreme. Blender is probably not for professional stuff but its quite good.

Nice map btw. is it ut3 or ut4?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 10-09-2014

Mudbox is a software for high poly sculpting and normal maps baking (based on high poly and low poly mesh) The low poly version of the rock has very litlle number of vertex as you can see on screenshot (IT'S REALLY THAT LOW POLY! IT'S NOT A JOKE!) but due to its AO and normal map and then bump map in the editor it appears like a real rock, not as a potato. Smile

[Image: high-ply.jpg] [Image: low-ply.jpg] [Image: effect-ply.jpg]

Map is made with UDK therefore its for UT3 as UDK works with UE3 (UnrealEngine3)
Blender is a great tool and you are probably right that it is absolutely enough to create high definition props (best example for that is Maddin). The Anchor and cargo boxes weren't done with mudbox of course.

So essentially: I use Mudbox for creating textures - definition and for abstract and natural shapes.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 10-13-2014

Ha, I can make a rock too, Justin!
[Image: 0_cdbf4_eda057a5_-4-XXL.jpg]
[Image: 0_cdbf5_3c41f835_XXL.jpg]

Made entirely in open source programs, blender and gimp. 406 tris. Photo-realsitic texture by myself and a K-100.

Download the pk3 with the rock.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - tZork - 10-13-2014

Well while on the subject of mudbox etc:
PS+3DS+Mudbox is a popular combo for good reasons, its fast and powerful and (relatively) easy.

That said, theres free (both beer and freedom) alternatives, heres some:
  • Blender has built in sculpting & texture baking.
  • sculptris/ Is rather nice if blenders sculpt tools fall short.
  • GIMP is quite a powerful editor if you just can be arsed to wrap your head around its UI (not that PS UI is any better.. ppl are just used to that brand of odd ; )

EDIT:
Oh and looking good Justin, keep it up! =)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 10-13-2014

Looking good, both Justin and aa!

Also, I like your map layout, aa. Will you add CTF support?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 10-13-2014

Sure, and assault as well! Little problem tho... its a little one.

Sculptris doesn't work natively on linux....... But works under wine, and rather well.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 01:39 AM)aa Wrote: Ha, I can make a rock too, Justin!

My man!! Big Grin

Give others a chance, huh? O_o
10/10

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - end user - 10-13-2014

(10-13-2014, 07:54 AM)tZork Wrote: [*]GIMP is quite a powerful editor if you just can be arsed to wrap your head around its UI (not that PS UI is any better.. ppl are just used to that brand of odd ; )
[/list]

I've been trying to give GIMP and go for years and as much as I hate Adobe using the tools in PS is so much more precise and easier. I usally stick with GIMP for a few weeks every few months but then revert to PS.

I did find a PS interace theme for GIMP which impoved finding the tools in the tool bar much easier but still uing those tools are a chore vs PS. That theme didn't seem work with the latest DEV but with the release.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Smilecythe - 10-14-2014

MSpaint is the one and only for me. Rolleyes

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-01-2014

I just wanted to share with you what I am working on right now. This is my very first map for Quake and I am pretty excited! Wish me luck!
[Image: week3-4.jpg]
[Image: week3-2.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 11-01-2014

Those rocks looks awesome!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-02-2014

Trying to keep up....

[Image: 0_cf1c1_6d21050f_orig]