Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-02-2014

Rock is too bright and looks like one shape repeats itself all over againg. make some pilars on sides so its more unique not so repeating itself. How high poly is this? Can't help but notice that 30 fps sign in the bottom right corner of the shot...
[Image: skull-face.jpg]

Halloween skull I made in sculpting software, then created texture based on model
AA: You still can participate in quake mapping contest. If what you show here has been made within contest duration feel free to open your thread on the contest's forum http://www.mapcore.org/forum/31-mapcores-quake-3-15th-anniversary-contest/ and use what you allready got: PARTICIPATE! You could start from scratch: There is still more then a month to go...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-02-2014

Well, I made three wall units, and applied them randomly so they are not too repeating.... On each wall here you see three... Now, each mesh is about 250-300 tris, and don't worry about fps- my machine is shitty and I always get such fps with that detail level. They look too bright probably because the texture is not finished- I need to paint some dirt and such on it and basic occlusion, but I'm too lazy for that...

Oh and yes, yes I know I should participate in the contest, but I am really lasy, and can't force myself to it.... Really lack the motivation and ideas...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 11-05-2014

Just so you people don't think I stopped working on that intro/outro. This is the rocket model shipped with Xonotic that I plan to use in a blender animation, fire and smoke generated with blender, all rendered with cycles engine.

[Image: rocket-thumb.png?dl=0]

I do hope blender adds GPU rendering support for smoke and fire soon, with CPU rendering this takes far too long to render for using it in an animation (1,5 h for this image alone)...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 11-05-2014

Woah cool! Are you/is it possible to import maps to blender (and use them in an animation)?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 11-05-2014

I don't actually know, but I also don't plan to do so - I will use blender's camera tracking capabilities to put the animation into a map scenery. It would anyway look quite differently if rendered with blender as compared to rendered with darkplaces, as you can already see from the rendered rocket. I believe it would generate a wrong impression if the intro/outro contained blender rendered maps/action apart from minor aspects such as a single rocket/the logo.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-05-2014

As1 ito1 comes\1 to1 tjhe1 ques\tion1:" map1 can1 be1 bui¥lt1 as\1 an1 .obj file1 and1 tjhen1 imported1 to1 a1 mode¥l¥linfg1 s\ofgtware1 ¥like1 b¥lender.1 Us\e1 Bui¥ld/convert1 to1 objh1 fgor1 modeinfg1 and1 you1 wi¥l¥l1 fget1 [map1 name]1.objh1 fgi¥le1 in1 your1 Xonotic/data//maps\1 directory
EDIT:"1 S|orry1 I1 tjhink1 I1 S|pi¥lt1 tjhe1 tea1 on1 my1 keyboard

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-05-2014

Yay!1 A1 new1\ language1! The \!/

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Spaceman - 11-05-2014

(11-05-2014, 11:52 AM)Justin Wrote: As it comes to the question map can be built as an .obj file and then imported to a modelling software like Blender. Use build/convert to obj for modelling and you will get [map name].obj file in your xonotic/data/maps directory.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I spilt the tea on my keyboard.

Which type of tea did you spill upon your keyboard? I hope it wasn't Earl Grey, as that would be a terrible waste.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-05-2014

And I think that black tea contains large particles that might get the keyboard stuck permanently, so black tea is a bad option as well.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-06-2014

Thanks for translating that post, Spaceman. It was Tetley Earl Grey with grandma's raspberry juice. I shall hire english to english translator as a full time job. Now I have my brother's old one to type with...

Beautifull rocket and smoke, Halogene! Keep it up!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-06-2014

Although it is kinda surprising it took THAT much time. I actually use CPU for rendering all the time, but it doesn't take up much time.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - tZork - 11-06-2014

(11-05-2014, 06:55 AM)machine! Wrote: Woah cool! Are you/is it possible to import maps to blender (and use them in an animation)?

You can get the geometry for sure (either by using q3map2 or darkplaces modeldecompile) but making the textures work could be a problem (szhadeeers!).

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 11-07-2014

(11-06-2014, 06:21 PM)aa Wrote: Although it is kinda surprising it took THAT much time. I actually use CPU for rendering all the time, but it doesn't take up much time.

It of course depends on the CPU and the scene ("old" i5 2500 here), but rendering volumetric smoke at 100+ samples in cycles really eats up a lot of performance. The result is rather realistically behaving and looking smoke :o)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-26-2014

[Image: yo-dome.jpg]
I ve never been modeling so much in my life before... This contest + University +other stuff (music, design, tea...) kills me slowly but surely. Undecided
[Image: ivy2.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 11-27-2014

Great stuff, Justin, I am so jealous of you!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Orbiter Sunblast - 11-29-2014

Justin, if that is meant to be a Xonotic map, then it will definitely leave a good impression in people's minds. Nontheless, you are displaying some fabulous modeling skills. Please, do keep up the good work.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-30-2014

Thanks. this is a map for Quake 3 arena contest and I am not sure if it would work for Xonotic (different gameplay, scale, weapons, even editor...). Anyway the style would not fit Xonotic scheme, as it is Gothic and ruins and outside... Im not even sure if it fits Quake style as almost everyone else in the contest are doing enclosed, Xonotic type of maps, which is nice: I guess their maps would fit Xonotic better! Smile
[Image: closin1.jpg]
[Image: closin3.jpg]
[Image: closin4.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Smilecythe - 11-30-2014

You really wanna win that contest huh? Big Grin I can hear those details saying "the prize is mineee!".

Fantastic work as always mr. Justin!

edit: Only thing I'd worry about in porting it to Xonotic would be the lights, I've seen a lot of Quake3 ports having too much light/brightness for darkplaces engine.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 11-30-2014

Very nice work Justin!

A map like that would be really nice in Xonotic, even if it doesn't fit the dull tech theme.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 12-03-2014

Seeing as people are posting non-xonotic things in here ...
[Image: dLhApOa.png?1]

I'm currently working on a team fortress 2 map
Its a 5 cp where the middle 3 points can be capped in any order
(or its a 3 cp domination map with 2 locked backup points)

ive torn down the whole map like 3 times now with the exception of the middle tower
previous versions were prettier ... but i decided to start over with tool textures

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 12-06-2014

While we're on the topic of other games...

[Image: xonotic20141107234107-00_small.jpg]

Classic game of Nine Men's Morris (3 in a row). We've also got Tic Tac Toe (Naughts and Crosses), but this one is the fancier for screenshots.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 12-07-2014

@Mario: Nice! This reminded me of nexuiz tetris. Is that code still in the game?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mario - 12-07-2014

Tetris is still in main repo, but it's been broken since about 0.5. We hope to recreate it in this new minigame API eventually.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 12-07-2014

Networked tetris? You could make a tetrinet clone Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 12-08-2014

I suggest flappyxon