Xonotic Forums
balanceFruit.cfg - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Development (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: balanceFruit.cfg (/showthread.php?tid=725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 11-07-2010

Updates:

- Laser has a new feature that takes your current speed into account when calculating the push direction, so that accelerating by lasering off of flat ground is easier.

- Laser has more push force vertically than horizontally (now matches force 300 vertically, it was 400 in Nexuiz which I STILL think is way too much Smile). At least you can jump up to the second floor on dance now even with relatively large error marigin.

- Health/armor limits changed:
* 25/50hp can be picked up all the way to 150 health instead of 100
* 5/100hp can be picked up all the way to 250 health instead of 200
* Any kind of armor can be picked up all the way to 250 instead of 200
* Start with 250hp/250a in LMS and CA instead of the old 200hp/100a

- Newtonian projectiles were turned on again, like it was in Nexuiz.

- Nex has a minimum dmg of ~60, and 100 when fully charged. There is now a relatively slow rot down to 50%. There is also an additional indicator around the crosshair that displays how much the nex is currently charging, to make velocity charge more obvious to new players.

- Hagar radius increased slightly as an attempt to make it stronger.

- Rocket launcher damage reduced to 90 from 100 to balance it out a little more.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Debugger - 11-07-2010

I like your balance now more than before. Charging nex is ok, different. That needs time to learn to handle it Wink

I think xonotic is playable with this balance right now.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-07-2010

Been screwing around with these again. I haven't really had a chance to test out the weapons in a match (not even a bot match), but the physics side of things in spite still being slow, seem to have improved quite a bit since the last time I actually tried playing with them. They just feel right, the transition from bunny hop to run no longer feels weird and overall (though the gap could be a little bit narrower) the feel is a lot better, even better than mine now. The only thing I would do differently is crank the speed that your running at from 18MPH to about 23 MPH.

EDIT:

I just got a pretty damn good (but not perfect, it'll need to be slightly slowed down) feel by punching in these values:

sv_accelerate 13
sv_maxspeed 420

Give it a try, it gives these the much needed turbo boost I was talking about.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 11-10-2010

Well sure, maxspeed can be increased if it's that wanted... But do you seriously notice a difference between sv_accelerate 13 and 15? Tongue
A maxspeed value of 400 could be good?

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Debugger - 11-10-2010

I think maxspeed could be 400, that would do the trick Wink

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-10-2010

(11-10-2010, 02:21 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Well sure, maxspeed can be increased if it's that wanted... But do you seriously notice a difference between sv_accelerate 13 and 15? Tongue
A maxspeed value of 400 could be good?

It was a value I had in my physics file that I applied to this. It's also in the Adjustments.cfg file I posted that is meant to be applied over my balance and your physics.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 11-11-2010

Maxspeed is now 400 in fruitiex/fruitphys. Re-balancing some weapons to account for the added speed.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-11-2010

(11-11-2010, 01:41 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Maxspeed is now 400 in fruitiex/fruitphys.

YESSS!!!

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - master[mind] - 11-11-2010

Big Grin

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-12-2010

Hey uh, Fruitiex. Is it normal for my frame rate to be reduced to the point of needing to be measured seconds per frame when I open fire with the nex secondary? lol think you made an error similar to one I did when I screwed up my Crylink.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 11-12-2010

(11-12-2010, 02:02 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Hey uh, Fruitiex. Is it normal for my frame rate to be reduced to the point of needing to be measured seconds per frame when I open fire with the nex secondary? lol think you made an error similar to one I did when I screwed up my Crylink.

Uhh, nope? Does not happen here. The nex secondary is supposed to speed up charging.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 11-12-2010

400 maxspeed feels a little too fast imo, it's just spamming alot to hit an opponent, moving too quick on the ground now, before it was just about right.

Though maybe it could be due to the playermodel size though with the lack of fullbright skins at the moment, am finding it quite difficult to aim/see.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - master[mind] - 11-12-2010

I'll test when I get home and give you my feedback......

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-12-2010

(11-12-2010, 06:15 AM)FruitieX Wrote:
(11-12-2010, 02:02 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Hey uh, Fruitiex. Is it normal for my frame rate to be reduced to the point of needing to be measured seconds per frame when I open fire with the nex secondary? lol think you made an error similar to one I did when I screwed up my Crylink.

Uhh, nope? Does not happen here. The nex secondary is supposed to speed up charging.

My game must be screwed up then, when I hit the secondary it rapidly depletes all my ammo in a fully-automatic blast.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Halogene - 11-15-2010

Today I had a bit of time to play on your server (tag game mode), and the physics feel much nicer now. Thank you.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Cuinnton - 11-15-2010

love the new smooth physics overall in current default xonotic. Although my main concert is it is way to fast. I think it would feel much better if bunny hoping acceleration was turned down. This would also encourage more use of the laser...

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 11-16-2010

I think it's the maxspeed increase, it's making it way too fast imo, ofcourse the smaller models may contribute a bit but for me they seem fine and we can see the difference once/if we get 'fatter' models, I think it's because there currently hard to see at times (brightskins soon I think, right frutiex? Smile ).

The game is 'fast-paced' I know but doesn't mean the actual normal movement just like basic ground strafing has to be ludicrously quick, but same concerns as Cuinnton that it feels now for me too fast..I thought the previous settings were about fine, especially when people are strafing side to side, I would prefer to see the old maxspeed setting be put back or only a very small increase.

There has been a few comments on the speed change of late, and how missing with weapons has increased a lot, there wasn't really this problem before. I think the weapon speed's are fine, it's the increased reaction time, when I played last night it felt a lot of my hits were due to reflex-luck rather then accurate placement and I could definitely tell the difference.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Halogene - 11-16-2010

I think we should work off the Nexuiz physics and improve them. I wouldn't say the Nexuiz physics were too fast, were they?

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-16-2010

(11-16-2010, 08:26 AM)Halogene Wrote: I think we should work off the Nexuiz physics and improve them. I wouldn't say the Nexuiz physics were too fast, were they?

True that. You wanna see speed? Take a look at 2.4.2.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Halogene - 11-16-2010

... what I was trying to say was that I approve of the changes that were applied to the physics lately. I did test your physics/balance set as well, but I think we should really concentrate on one physics/balance set instead of forking this too. Not that your balance was bad or anything, don't get me wrong here, but if moving feels natural and intuitive (and FAST), then I am all happy (edit: provided, the laser remains a useful tool for getting anywhere you want Tongue). And I believe with the then-current physics settings at the time when I was testing them these physics are on a good way.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Lee_Stricklin - 11-16-2010

(11-16-2010, 10:29 AM)Halogene Wrote: ... what I was trying to say was that I approve of the changes that were applied to the physics lately. I did test your physics/balance set as well, but I think we should really concentrate on one physics/balance set instead of forking this too. Not that your balance was bad or anything, don't get me wrong here, but if moving feels natural and intuitive (and FAST), then I am all happy (edit: provided, the laser remains a useful tool for getting anywhere you want Tongue). And I believe with the then-current physics settings at the time when I was testing them these physics are on a good way.

The last balance file I uploaded was pretty much balanced for these physics, though I did tweak them slightly (max speed is slightly faster, accelerate slightly slower), but not by much. I'm pretty sure you can drop that balance file in and use it with these.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Flying Steel - 11-23-2010

Just wanted to comment on something said in another thread, but which makes more sense to discuss here.

(11-23-2010, 04:54 PM)kojn^ Wrote: Fast-paced is a term I don't like around here, everyone presumes it means you have to run around like a maniac constantly, doesn't make a good game. UT is fast-paced but it's movement mechanics are slower then xonotic, except for dodge for example.

This is very true. From what I've seen and played, it seems Xonotic will be unintentionally slow paced because movement is now beyond a speed where combat is very effective. Like if you had a racing game where you can move at Mach 1, but very sparse and mildly dangerous obstacles and gradual turns. You are technically moving fast, but the action is slow paced because there isn't much you actually need to or can do, besides continue to move fast.

Subsequently, I'd recommend official development resources be applied to only the three still playable gametypes-- Race, CTS and Flag Run (formerly CTF).

Also, all the humanoid character models should be seen mounted on top of "hoverboard" models during matches, to much better fit and explain the physics and gameplay of Xonotic.

Finally the frag-focused announcer audio clips might need to be rewritten and re-voiced for movement and trick based achievements, like "Big Air!" or "M-M-M-MEGA CAP!" As well as for the now mother of achievements "You got a Frag!", just in case a player actually get's a kill in someplace, probably an AFK. Angel

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - master[mind] - 11-24-2010

-_-
Ya know, speed was what made Nexuiz fun. It was the only FPS I played where shooting people wasn't the only adrenaline rush. I'm not sure how y'all are missing it, but combat really was rather prominent in Nexuiz, as a medium level player, I played against people far better than me in almost every match, but I still had large numbers of intense firefights with them, but not with newer/worse players. I think the setup was perfect as it was. When you try to please the n00b crowd with game physics and mechanics you end up with CoD. CoD is not taken very seriously. Meanwhile, Quake Live and TF2 are taken very seriously because someone decided skill should stay as an important part of a game. Yes, there is some skill involved in CoD, but problem is, there is very little technique to master besides Quick Scoping. Meanwhile, Nexuiz became a fun challenge of mastering weapon handling and movement control. The more I played, the more I was rewarded, being able to perform a better trick jump or capping that flag in less time. On the flip side, I also gained the ability to work with combos and watched my k/d ratio improve. I mastered some of the harder weapons and saw even more improvement in k/d. If were trying to dumb the game down for n00bs, then slowing the movement speed and reducing weapon damage is a great idea, otherwise, lets keep the concept of map control, tricky movement, and weapons combos alive. Those are the features that made Nexuiz Nexuiz, and should make Xonotic Xonotic.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Halogene - 11-25-2010

One thing I noticed during assault test yesterday is that lasering off walls to gain horizontal speed seems much more inefficient than it used to be. Maybe I was doing something wrong? I could only gain high speeds by bunnyhopping...

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 11-25-2010

Your not alone, I had the same problem, I think it's once you gain a certain speed, I don't think it's such a bad thing though it does seem to fit the game/maps better this way, there might be a certain way of doing it though!?!?