Xonotic Forums
balanceFruit.cfg - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Development (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: balanceFruit.cfg (/showthread.php?tid=725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 07-30-2010

Just made quite a big change to the crylink, which explodes all projectiles as soon as one explodes. Much, much easier to hit with, perhaps speed should be lowered again, and maybe damage too? We'll see.
Sunday evening is ok for me, I should be available.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Flying Steel - 07-30-2010

Please revert the acceleration changes before sunday though. It throws off the weapon balancing process as described.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 07-31-2010

I ASKED for it to be increased due the 400 walking speed, but now frutiex has made them all explode if you hit one, perhaps it needs to be slower again Smile

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Flying Steel - 07-31-2010

Increasing acceleration, especially while keeping speed at 400, completely undoes the advantages this rebalance gained by laser jump nerfing. In fact there's a good chance it's worse, since this can be used indefinitely and doesn't require a high ceiling like the laser did, for projectile evasion and escapes.

Whatever the goal was with this change, this is a very problematic way of reaching it and there are much better solutions out there.

Acceleration needs to be restored to its 2.5.x settings.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 07-31-2010

I'm sure kojn meant the crylink speed which I had increased (and planning to revert), not player physics.
I haven't changed any player physics, divVerent takes care of those. I simply upload new configs to the server. No changes have been made to them in the past one week or so, though.

Walkspeed 400 feels a bit on the fast side for me too, but if most want this then sure.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Beefeater - 08-01-2010

How about a poll for walk speeds?

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - rainerzufalldererste - 08-01-2010

good idea! make one! Wink

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - FruitieX - 08-03-2010

I think walkspeed will be set at 360, seems like a fair compromise (and feels just right too) Smile

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 08-03-2010

Sounds good, 400 does seem too fast to be honest.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Cuinnton - 08-03-2010

[Image: izar5gxwojct1b5zezug_thumb.jpg]

I don't think weapon animations are important in the initial release, but in order to make the hanger more interesting appearance wise, how about opening ailerons when shots are fired Smile

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Roanoke - 08-03-2010

That has nothing to do with balance or physics =/

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Flying Steel - 08-03-2010

(08-03-2010, 05:57 AM)FruitieX Wrote: I think walkspeed will be set at 360, seems like a fair compromise (and feels just right too) Smile

It could work if the acceleration comes down a bit too.

Dodging nonhitscan projectiles was easy enough in 2.5.2 already, so this would be a good target for the physics balance.

Also the damage of weapons against a base or moderately stacked player has come down like 30% since then.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Beefeater - 08-03-2010

(07-30-2010, 07:00 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Just made quite a big change to the crylink, which explodes all projectiles as soon as one explodes. Much, much easier to hit with, perhaps speed should be lowered again, and maybe damage too? We'll see.
Sunday evening is ok for me, I should be available.

I know that crylink secondary climbing didn't work very well anyway, but since this change I have a much harder time climbing. It feels like I don't move up or I'm being pushed down?? Confused It works sometimes, but I can't figure it out. It's a shame too, because I like the change otherwise, it's a good idea. Also, for trickjumping's sake I'd prefer if you reverted the inverse push for primary fire. Before the change I wasn't able to jump all that high using crylink anyway, and for jumping against walls it definitely felt weak enough Tongue

(08-03-2010, 05:57 AM)FruitieX Wrote: I think walkspeed will be set at 360, seems like a fair compromise (and feels just right too) Smile

w00t Smile

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 08-03-2010

Would like to see sniper replace nex Smile Love the current balance for it seems perfect, but remove reload god damn that sucks ass..headshots are actually harder then I thought also! Smile

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Cuinnton - 08-04-2010

anyone tried applying homing properties to the hanger? that way it can be a more useful weapon. giving them the same steering capabilities as the rl?

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Roanoke - 08-04-2010

Homing would make it too powerful, due to its quick reload steering wouldn't be much of a help.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - master[mind] - 08-04-2010

...haven't checked in in a while, sorry. Sad Just a little of my 2cents.

I like the falling damage on the Nex, makes CTF a little more...CTFish but I'm not so sure about the laser force reduction...I didn't have time to read all the posts here, but the original config from the OP had force halved. IMO, that is what made the game fun, speed runs and laser navigation, I can't test it(not time) but how much is the half the force affecting the smooth movement? When the beta is released, I'll give feedback, but FTM, I don't have access to a Linux install on a discrete GC. Lol...I need contribute something here...just don't know what(I'm not "skilled" enough yet).

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 08-05-2010

Don't support fall off damage at all..next thing people will want electro fall off damage etc. I'd say replace the nex with the sniper for CTF game's i'd rather have it in for all game-mode's but if people are so concerned about ranging, I'd go for the sniper in CTF.

As for the movement mastermind, you will need to try it out, it is much smoother then nexuiz's movement, easier to turn and keep speed.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Flying Steel - 08-05-2010

(08-05-2010, 07:48 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Don't support fall off damage at all..next thing people will want electro fall off damage etc. I'd say replace the nex with the sniper for CTF game's i'd rather have it in for all game-mode's but if people are so concerned about ranging, I'd go for the sniper in CTF.

You've got to look at it objectively. The Nex has basically been out there on its own as the only relatively effective ranged weapon for every version except those where the MG was over buffed (2.3 and 2.5.2). On top of that it has always been heavily used at all ranges.

And now this balance makes other weapons in general less effective at range further. (More spread and less damage on MG, less speed more droop on mortar, less range on electro I believe, etc.) So how could it be fair or sane to not do the same to the Nex?

Speaking of which, why are lifetimes on projectile weapons so much shorter? It used to be like 30 seconds and now it's more like 10 or so.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - master[mind] - 08-05-2010

I'm gonna take a whack at building it from git in Vista x64(yes...I am insane...) I want to start practising some mapping, but if it works, I will test out movement. The...issues...with maintaining speed were annoying. It's awesome if they're fixed. I'm not supporting it(fall-off), I just think it's interesting...maybe it can be a gametype mod.

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Roanoke - 08-05-2010

Again, nex long range dominance can be fixed by moving it's damage to 80-90 or even lower, giving it headshot damage of around 100. That way, nex will not always be all that powerful unless you get lucky. In any case, under 800qu, electro primary is always best option.

Also, is it me or is the minimum velocity for fall damage drastically decreased?

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Antibody - 08-05-2010

Quote:The...issues...with maintaining speed were annoying.

I once had the same issue, and all it took was some practice. It really is smooth once you get the hang of it. If you are interested we can work out a time where you can spec someone moving fast to see how they interact w/ the movement keys (speccing kojn was what did it for me).

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - master[mind] - 08-05-2010

I would, but I don't have access to a linux distro(on my GC.) I plan to build Xonotic(or attempt) from source for Vista x64 but that will be this weekend. I did have speed decently mastered for Nexuiz, but I'm always open to learning. I was mostly referring to the fact that the smoother more fluid movement will help improve the feel of the speed. I'm excited, can't wait to get my hands on a build. Big Grin

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - kojn^ - 08-06-2010

(08-05-2010, 12:14 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Again, nex long range dominance can be fixed by moving it's damage to 80-90 or even lower, giving it headshot damage of around 100. That way, nex will not always be all that powerful unless you get lucky. In any case, under 800qu, electro primary is always best option.

Also, is it me or is the minimum velocity for fall damage drastically decreased?

Which is basically what the current sniper does, a normal hit does 50? or 60 I can't remember which damage, whilst a headshots does 125..but there a lot harder to hit then I first imagined, so it means you need to do 3 normal shots to kill a player who has 125 health, whilst a headshot will take someone out with one hit with no armour..there no easier to make then in UT, probably slightly harder actually.

I would like to see ammo caps for weapons though so you can't just go around with 300 ammo for the sniper etc, maybe even a seperate ammo type would be worthwhile, but I guess i'm veering off topic.

Anyway, mastermind, movement is nice and smooth and allows you to keep your speed much better, once you have a build i'm sure antibody or myself will be happy to help show you Smile

RE: balanceFruit.cfg - Roanoke - 08-06-2010

Pretty sure ammo caps already exist.