Xonotic Forums
Characters slice, don't run - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Characters slice, don't run (/showthread.php?tid=729)

Pages: 1 2

Characters slice, don't run - toneddu2000 - 07-19-2010

I',m a little confused about nexuiz/xonotic movement system for player models. If you look Quake 3 (not open arena and other tc, just id software one ) run animations are better integrated with floor. In xonotic, instead, characters seem to "slice" or skating on it. Could it be possible to add extra frames for run animation or just slow a bit speed for forward/backward direction? I think it could be better. I think that the best would be to use locomotion system that would "pull the legs" upon the floor, but for this feature, there would be the need for coders.
If you have any idea I could modify my base animations file and change to fit your ideas!
cheers

PS:what about single player(story) in xonotic? Guys who talked about it on nexuiz forums are disappeared?

RE: Characters slice, don't run - DiaboliK - 07-19-2010

You increase or decrease the frames per second in the framegroups file of the models. It may need some tweaking.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Flying Steel - 07-19-2010

(07-19-2010, 01:20 PM)toneddu2000 Wrote: PS:what about single player(story) in xonotic? Guys who talked about it on nexuiz forums are disappeared?

Sepelio is helping the main xonotic mapping effort I think, I'm learning coding and the C languages to be able to make stuff like real campaigns possible, MC Seven joined up with Roanoke to work on a different campaign story proposal.

I think the community had started to come up with a third, general plot/universe for Xonotic as well, based on something like human, robot, cyborg/mutant, alien and super alien factions.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - parasti - 07-19-2010

Hopefully with a new animation system it will be possible to adjust animations automatically to match movement speed.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Roanoke - 07-19-2010

(07-19-2010, 02:03 PM)Flying Steel Wrote: I think the community had started to come up with a third, general plot/universe for Xonotic as well, based on something like human, robot, cyborg/mutant, alien and super alien factions.

This is news to me Tongue

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Flying Steel - 07-19-2010

Well that's strange considering you were there. ;)

Remember the Artstyle Development thread? By the end of the second page it was talking about factions and then digressed further into plots and storylines.

Also whatever is / whoever posted this to the wiki.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Roanoke - 07-19-2010

Close to home is much older than TC, and it's more or less dead now Tongue
But that's a topic for another time, sorry for dragging this off topic.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Irritant - 07-20-2010

(07-19-2010, 01:20 PM)toneddu2000 Wrote: I',m a little confused about nexuiz/xonotic movement system for player models. If you look Quake 3 (not open arena and other tc, just id software one ) run animations are better integrated with floor. In xonotic, instead, characters seem to "slice" or skating on it. Could it be possible to add extra frames for run animation or just slow a bit speed for forward/backward direction? I think it could be better. I think that the best would be to use locomotion system that would "pull the legs" upon the floor, but for this feature, there would be the need for coders.
If you have any idea I could modify my base animations file and change to fit your ideas!
cheers

PS:what about single player(story) in xonotic? Guys who talked about it on nexuiz forums are disappeared?

I had a look at this today, and there are a couple of issues regarding animation.

There is an inherent problem, in which you need to make code changes to solve, and this is that when firing and moving, the feet are not moving because the firing frames are in the standing position. There are two ways to solve this. One easier than the other. First, you could make sure that running animations have the guns held in a firing type position, and if a player is moving defer to running animation even if he is firing. The other, harder method, is to do animation blending, which since you have skeletal models, is possible.

The other issue is that when looking up and down, only the gun model moves. With skeletal models, you should have the model bend at the waist instead.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Flying Steel - 07-21-2010

Unfortunately, until these two issues Irritant brings up are fully dealt with, Xonotic will never look modern.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Roanoke - 07-21-2010

Yes, that is true. Waist bending and stuff has been requested for a while though (tremulous does it by splitting up the models, by the way).

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Flying Steel - 07-21-2010

That's mainly a hack because tremulous' ioquake3 engine doesn't support bones.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - parasti - 07-21-2010

If you look at one of the Xonotic repos, you'll see a bunch of "networkedplayers" branches. Those branches are where work on CSQC players, animation blending and skeletal control included, takes place. It started around April, but it's been going slow, so if you can help, get a clone and get on IRC.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - toneddu2000 - 07-22-2010

First of all, I want to apologize for my late reply, all your answers are very useful. I think what Irritant said is the focus point:Xonotic should start to use the power of the skeletal system. It seems weird but it's the truth: we build models with .smd skeletal or iqm/iqe model format (which dp supports too), but we can't use them differently as if we used to export them with .md3 format! The only open source engine that I know which use locomotion system is DragEngine from Roland Pluss, but isn't not yet released and I think it wouldn't be possible a conversion of the module in dp. If there's something I can do as graphic, just tell me and I'll see what I can to do in my spare time

@Diabolik Please, Please, Please : let's write some documentation on .zym/dpm framegroups, animgroups, because those 2 lines on the dp wiki are shameless! Smile If there's someone has written some example, mini tutorial or whatever about this argument, please mail or pm me, and I'll try to write a guide as the one I wrote 1 year ago (for which nexuiz community didn't speak a lot, if I've to say..)because I exported a lot of models for tests, but, honestly, I've a lot of doubts and questions.

for Single player mode: well, 1 year I had a dream about a full-story single player game, but, now, i think that this is not going to happen..

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Roanoke - 07-22-2010

http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Framegroups
Some more complete documentation there.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - DiaboliK - 07-23-2010

toneddu2000: Sorry for the late response as well. Didn't have a computer for a few days. Anyways I wrote an outdated tutorial of blender to IQM: http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Blender_to_IQM
I'll work on fixing that tonight though and I'll polish some other tutorials as well.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - DiaboliK - 07-24-2010

Irritant: I'm unsure if you implemented the skeletal system code in Alien Arena or someone else did, but if you could give me some insight on the sort of rig you used or any hints as to how you implemented that would be great. If you could take a look at this rig: http://dev.xonotic.org/attachments/download/82/models_player_ignis.blend and see if it would work properly with code that would be very helpful.

RE: Characters slice, don't run - toneddu2000 - 07-24-2010

Thanks a lot Diabolik and Roanoke! I'll try today and tomorrow to use iqm and framegroups in dpm!

Hold on I think you are a bit confused. IQM is a separate format from DPM. They both use framegroups but IQM has a smaller file size and you can export to it directly from blender which is a huge help.

Yes, yes I know! Thanks a lot Diabolik! My phrase was structured not well, I meant: I'll start to use iqm from scratch, because I've never used it, and, now I've learned something about framegroups, I'll use them on the format I know better:dpm/zym. Anyway, thanks for your clarification!

RE: Characters slice, don't run - Roanoke - 07-24-2010

If I understand correctly, all xonotic models will use iqm so it would make more sense to concentrate your energies there.

Quote:If I understand correctly, all xonotic models will use iqm so it would make more sense to concentrate your energies there.
got it! Smile

All models do NOT have to use IQM. You can use dpm as well. IQM just has an easier pipeline.

Diabolik, I took just now a look at the ignis model. There's only backleft animation. The other animations are hidden? How can I export all the animations (run,walk,fire,etc.) in the same iqm file?
thanks in advance

Weird I just opened the ignis model and i could see all the animations. Make sure you are in pose mode. As for exporting all the animations you have to export to IQM and enter all the names of the animations in the animation box separating them by commas. They have to be in a certain order so just copy and paste this:

Code:
dieone, dietwo, draw, duck, duckwalk, duckjump, duckidle, idle, jump, painone, paintwo, shoot, taunt, run, runbackwards, strafeleft, straferight, deadone, deadtwo, forwardright, forwardleft, backright, backleft

Also forgot to give you a framegroups file for that model: http://dev.xonotic.org/attachments/download/83/ignis.iqm.framegroups

I hope you can improve the animations that myself and theShadow have done.

Quote:Weird I just opened the ignis model and i could see all the animations
Forget about this, my fault.
Quote:As for exporting all the animations you have to export to IQM and enter all the names of the animations in the animation box separating them by commas
Understood
Quote:Also forgot to give you a framegroups file for that model
Thanks!
Quote:I hope you can improve the animations that myself and theShadow have done.
Well, I'm not so good in rigging/animations but I'll try do my best, although your animations seem to be very good!