Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Idea: xonotic event calendar - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Idea: xonotic event calendar (/showthread.php?tid=741)

Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 07-22-2010

I think we should have an event calendar for things like:

- map testing
- balance testing
- tournament matches
- PR days (make announcements)
- xonotic 101/tutorial sessions
- IRC get-togethers (or something like that)

Being that I wanted to be involved in "Community Management," I'd volunteer to keep such an event calendar up to date (people could PM me to add events, or maybe I just maintain the password and deal it out to those in need?). What we would need is a plugin or account to post the calendar, then have it listed on this site somewhere easily found.

Thoughts?

Background: this is coming about because I'm trying to get people to come test out Fruitie's new balance stuff at a certain time, but I really have no good way of making people aware of it (forum post would just get buried).

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - FruitieX - 07-22-2010

Hmm, I agree with this...

There should be something like that on the main page, at least until we have integrated tourney/ladder etc systems in the main page (and maybe still show all these dates in the calendar?)

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 07-22-2010

We should probably still show those tourneys on the calendar - unless the ladder has a publication (RSS) system like most event calendars do.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - rainerzufalldererste - 07-22-2010

yap! good idea! we should have such a calender!

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Roanoke - 07-22-2010

Good idea, community input is valuable.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 07-22-2010

So -z-, how 'bout it? We'd need to talk about a calendar plugin for WP and an e-mail account (events@xonotic.org?). There is no way I can keep up w/ all the posts here as a source for events.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - rainerzufalldererste - 07-23-2010

Maybe he didn't read this post! you can write a PM to him!

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 07-23-2010

Yeah, I know. I was just seeing if he's paying attention. I'll PM him today.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - rainerzufalldererste - 07-23-2010

or shall I (or you) submit a ticket on dev.xonotic.org?

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - rainerzufalldererste - 07-25-2010

did you PM him?

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - edh - 07-25-2010

What about making the calender available in game somehow to improve cooperation in the community? Steam has always had a stream of marketing about some other games that someone wants you to buy, thinly disguised as news. What about having a genuine community news stream available when the game starts up? An item like joining a tournament or a testing session for new physics/gameplay could then have a link in it to connect to the server that its running on.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - ThePWTULN - 07-26-2010

Good idea - it'd let more people get involved Smile

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 07-29-2010

Hi all, will this work? I'm not sure if this was always was on here or not, but check it: http://forums.xonotic.org/calendar.php

Edit: don't know what's going on w/ the link, but you get get this through the NAV

-> xonotic.org -> hover over "forums" tab to get dropdown -> select calendar

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Roanoke - 07-29-2010

404 Tongue

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 07-29-2010

Roanoke - updated my post with logical nav instructions. I don't know what's up with the link - works for me!

Looks as though the grid is a bit skewed; the gridlines for the day doesn't match up vertically with the dates below it.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Roanoke - 07-29-2010

Just started working.
Yes, the styling and markup are off.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - kojn^ - 08-03-2010

Sounds like a good idea, but for this to work needs to be some kind of community news page/site where the majority of players could be linked/sent too, would need people to help keep the calender upto date and report when tournament's etc are happening.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 08-03-2010

Quote:be some kind of community news page/site where the majority of players could be linked/sent too, would need people to help keep the calender upto date and report when tournament's etc are happening.

I'm volunteering to do some of that stuff. BUT I think we need a working calendar first. Right now the styling is off and we don't have any integration other than the link provided. Ideally we'd want a quick summary of the upcoming events in a widget (the main site is wordpress after all) on the right or left sidebar.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - -z- - 08-13-2010

Ideally this would work in the forum system. I will see what I can do and get back to you. At worst, we can do a Google calendar.

RE: Idea: xonotic event calendar - Antibody - 08-13-2010

Sounds good. Let me know how I can help.