Xonotic Forums
[SOLVED] run a local CTS - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] run a local CTS (/showthread.php?tid=7604)

run a local CTS - BuddyFriendGuy - 12-23-2017

I was on /v/ Xonotic the other day; ableism kindly me "walked" me through strafe jumps, which I had attempted to learn several times but failed. (Also thanks to [REDACTED] for spec'ing and providing feedback.) I finally understood why SPLAT, -z-, and other folks started to play CTS -- I'm now convinced that the skills/principles learned in CTS can translate to other game mode.
Anyway, I was finally making some progress, and would like to practice CTS on my local machine (so I won't bore other players on a public server), or specifically, strafe accelerating.
Is it just a matter of getting the right *.cfg? Or do I need a real mod?

RE: run a local CTS - Antares* - 12-23-2017

Everything you need to host a Race CTS server (locally) comes with Xonotic.
Code:
exec defaultXDF.cfg

There are some quirks.

- Majority of the maps played in Race CTS come from Quake 3 so the "start" brush clips players when it shouldn't be in Xonotic.
So you'd need to disable player clip collisions in most cases.
Code:
g_playerclip_collisions 0

- Race CTS was removed from the Create Menu for whatever reason.

As said before, /v/'s CTS maplist is curated for strafe maps; many of which are beginner friendly. You won't be causing others inconvenience by being new and picking the easy maps on the server.

RE: run a local CTS - martin-t - 12-23-2017

Before anyone tries this, be sure you're running reasonably recent autobuild or git - in 0.8.2 execing any of the default*.cfg files will nuke your client config as well.

Which shouldn't be a problem, because everyone has their $HOME backed up, right? Wink

RE: run a local CTS - morosophos - 12-23-2017

I suggest you to try our "Relaxed Running" server, where we tried to collect all maps suitable to learn defrag. It's better to learn defrag on a public server, so you can compare your time with others, track your progress and get useful advice from fellow runners.
OTOH, I disagree that CTS skills translate to DM anyhow... DM movement is about unpredictable tricks, dodging and blastering. High speed strafing isn't useful at all because DM maps are usually too small, and xonotic has that lame 900 qu/s cap in its default physics.  CTS is about reaching high speeds with strafing, and sometimes rocket jumps. So while CTS is huge fun by itself, I don't want to give you false hopes that it will make you heck of a dueler.

RE: run a local CTS - Antares* - 12-23-2017

(12-23-2017, 09:00 AM)morosophos Wrote: I suggest you to try our "Relaxed Running" server, where we tried to collect all maps suitable to learn defrag. It's better to learn defrag on a public server, so you can compare your time with others, track your progress and get useful advice from fellow runners.
OTOH, I disagree that CTS skills translate to DM anyhow... DM movement is about unpredictable tricks, dodging and blastering. High speed strafing isn't useful at all because DM maps are usually too small, and xonotic has that lame 900 qu/s cap in its default physics.  CTS is about reaching high speeds with strafing, and sometimes rocket jumps. So while CTS is huge fun by itself, I don't want to give you false hopes that it will make you heck of a dueler.
It certainly helps. There won't be prolonged strafing like in CTS maps, but the circle, ramp jumps, maybe speed control are still a thing.

BFG was on my server. He was more inspired by someone's speedy flag caps in vanilla/xpm CTF.

RE: run a local CTS - BuddyFriendGuy - 12-24-2017

(12-23-2017, 02:47 AM)Antares* Wrote:
Code:
exec defaultXDF.cfg
g_playerclip_collisions 0

Thanks. This works.

(12-23-2017, 02:47 AM)Antares* Wrote: - Race CTS was removed from the Create Menu for whatever reason.

@Devs, may I know why CTS was removed? CTS seems to gain popularity these days.

I was still able to play the map (from your server) from the console command:

Code:
map nr_grid_in_space_v1r1

(12-23-2017, 02:47 AM)Antares* Wrote: As said before, /v/'s CTS maplist is curated for strafe maps; many of which are beginner friendly. You won't be causing others inconvenience by being new and picking the easy maps on the server.
(12-23-2017, 09:00 AM)morosophos Wrote: I suggest you to try our "Relaxed Running" server, where we tried to collect all maps suitable to learn defrag. It's better to learn defrag on a public server, so you can compare your time with others, track your progress and get useful advice from fellow runners.

I appreciate your servers and the awesome players/instructors there a lot. However, I think there's a strong use case for CTS beginners like me to ALSO be able to play locally.

1. I'm still working on basic circle jumps and strafe jumps. And I use the map nr_grid_in_space_v1r1 for this. I don't feel comfortable occupying a server for hours playing the same map.

2. Sometimes I only have 5 minutes here and there. I'd rather play on the map I've been working on. I don't feel comfortable going to a server, forcing everyone to play my map for 5 minutes, and then leaving; then coming back after 30 minutes, and forcing everyone again to play my map for another 5 minutes.

After I practice my very basics for a while, I will certainly go to your servers.

(12-23-2017, 09:00 AM)morosophos Wrote: OTOH, I disagree that CTS skills translate to DM anyhow... DM movement is about unpredictable tricks, dodging and blastering. High speed strafing isn't useful at all because DM maps are usually too small, and xonotic has that lame 900 qu/s cap in its default physics.  CTS is about reaching high speeds with strafing, and sometimes rocket jumps. So while CTS is huge fun by itself, I don't want to give you false hopes that it will make you heck of a dueler.
(12-23-2017, 05:35 PM)Antares* Wrote: It certainly helps. There won't be prolonged strafing like in CTS maps, but the circle, ramp jumps, maybe speed control are still a thing.

Antares' answer is right on. I realize the techniques are different in the two modes, but I also found that noticing the connection between my acceleration direction and my mouse somehow helps me in both modes. In vanilla there are too many other things to learn so I had never focused on movement.

I'm already running faster in vanilla after ableism and Antares' instruction in CTS.

(12-23-2017, 05:35 PM)Antares* Wrote: BFG was on my server. He was more inspired by someone's speedy flag caps in vanilla/xpm CTF.

And yes, I was really motivated to improve when I helplessly saw the flag carrier outrun me.

(12-23-2017, 08:12 AM)martin-t Wrote: Before anyone tries this, be sure you're running reasonably recent autobuild or git - in 0.8.2 execing any of the default*.cfg files will nuke your client config as well.

Thanks, @martin-t. I learned that the hard way before, and have since then put all my settings (including the default values) in a separate file.

RE: run a local CTS - Mario - 12-24-2017

CTS was removed from the menu because we can't execute configs based on menu options, it's far too unreliable (even with martin's progress on the default* configs). Most maps aren't playable without the XDF physics, so it served no real purpose in the menu.

RE: run a local CTS - BuddyFriendGuy - 12-25-2017

(12-24-2017, 02:54 AM)Mario Wrote: CTS was removed from the menu because we can't execute configs based on menu options, it's far too unreliable (even with martin's progress on the default* configs). Most maps aren't playable without the XDF physics, so it served no real purpose in the menu.

Thanks, @Mario. It makes sense.

When I opened a CTS map, the HUD automatically displays the timer and stuff. How does that work? (c.f. if I open a CTF map, it doesn't show flag info unless the gametype is set to CTF.)