Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] A Melee Weapon - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] A Melee Weapon (/showthread.php?tid=82)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

A Melee Weapon - emesde - 03-23-2010

I've always liked the idea of a melee weapon. Something that could help at close ranges, especially when those annoying people hump you and then teammates accidentally shoot you.

Last night I was thinking about something like a shield you could bash with (or some other hand-held weapon that goes with the shield).. The shield could give you 75 free armor that replenishes at a constant rate, after a delay (3-5 seconds?) so that random campers just couldn't switch to it, get some free armor, and survive forever. No. That's definitely not what I want.

The free armor should be to give the melee weapon an actual use.. I doubt anyone would walk up to you if the melee weapon could take out a nice chunk of their health.

The shield (or weapon + shield) would not be able to be used with any other weapon, so that it's purely melee.. wouldn't be nice having a nex and free armor.

--

Course, this thread is a proposal for a melee weapon, not a shield. I was voicing my thoughts.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Lee_Stricklin - 03-23-2010

Oh god not this again. IF a melee weapon were to be introduced, then it MUST be offhand and be ready to use at any given time. In my opinion it should be used mostly to knock an opponent back as opposed to actually being something you use to fight with.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Vael - 03-23-2010

I play on a mac, why do you want to restrict a growing demographic from being able to use a melee weapon? With a single button mouse I already have enough trouble going up against skilled rocketeers. Why not a chainsword? Or a gauntlet type weapon? Or as we discussed later in #xonotic after emesde brought this up, mixing the shield with the laser. They wouldn't be able to be used simultaneously, the shield would be the alt-fire and it could have the 75 base health mentioned.

Just some talking points.

RE: A Melee Weapon - MC SE7EN - 03-23-2010

(03-23-2010, 11:35 PM)Vael Wrote: I play on a mac, why do you want to restrict a growing demographic from being able to use a melee weapon? With a single button mouse I already have enough trouble going up against skilled rocketeers. Why not a chainsword? Or a gauntlet type weapon? Or as we discussed later in #xonotic after emesde brought this up, mixing the shield with the laser. They wouldn't be able to be used simultaneously, the shield would be the alt-fire and it could have the 75 base health mentioned.

I play on a Mac too, and I've learned that having a mouse rather than using my trackpad is a must. The trackpad just doesnt track fast enough to really play the game.

If you have an Apple Mouse, you'll find that you actually do have a right click, just click the right side of the mouse.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Lee_Stricklin - 03-24-2010

(03-23-2010, 11:35 PM)Vael Wrote: I play on a mac, why do you want to restrict a growing demographic from being able to use a melee weapon? With a single button mouse I already have enough trouble going up against skilled rocketeers. Why not a chainsword? Or a gauntlet type weapon? Or as we discussed later in #xonotic after emesde brought this up, mixing the shield with the laser. They wouldn't be able to be used simultaneously, the shield would be the alt-fire and it could have the 75 base health mentioned.

A one button mouse is a primitive less than standard piece of equipment that has been phased out A LONG TIME AGO going all the way back to the early days of Power Macintosh and Commodore Amigas.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Erusavion - 03-24-2010

I feel that Xonotic is too fast paced of a game for a melee weapon. For the most part you are moving way too fast to ever be in a range to hit someone. Although, the idea of knocking the person back to have an easier shot with the nex is an alright idea. I just feel that it would interrupt game play because then that's just another thing to think about in the game. As fast paced as Xonotic is, there is enough to think about without a melee weapon also. I just feel that it would rarely be used. Just like the other useless weapons in the game, like the camper rifle.

I think there should be some type of non-offensive shove in this game that is done off-hand. There's too many situations where I'm forced to use a rocket launcher or other weapon with a bad ass splash to it at close range and would like some means of pushing a player away. A mighty boot or an arm used for pushing somebody would be nice.

RE: A Melee Weapon - r0tt - 03-24-2010

Just a suggestion.. but what if the laser's alternative fire mode creates a shock wave and pushes the offending player(s) back in all directions?

RE: A Melee Weapon - EvilSpaceHamster - 03-24-2010

The Magicmouse has a rightclick, however it is based on finger position and as sush one cannot rightclick an dleftclick at the same time which makes using scopes difficult

RE: A Melee Weapon - Roanoke - 03-24-2010

Okay, let's recap from the old melee thread.
A. Melee weapon is offhand. Otherwise it's stupid.
B. Yoda has melee models, we should use those.

Don't we already the @!#%'n Tuba? The only other melee I can think of would be a shove to avoid killing yourself at close range with a rocket launcher. The shove would simply be that, off hand and not capable of damaging.

RE: A Melee Weapon - ImpulseNine - 03-24-2010

What about a barrier/shield that is randomly placed around the map at the start, one on each side (no using the other team's, that'd be unfair). You may pick it up but you cannot fire any other weapon while holding it. While just standing, the shield would be small, and provide little cover. While firing, the shield would expand horizontally creating the equivalent of a 10-ft riot shield made of single tinted transparent plane. If someone runs into the shield, they are damaged, and the shield retracts or is dropped/expires. Your movement would be considerably slower and you will not be able to jump while the shield is deployed, but you can block/turn in place. The shield would absorb all damage/splash and reflect projectiles. This would provide a whole new element to defense in CTF. It could be used to block popular cap pathways forcing the team to work to figure out another route.

RE: A Melee Weapon - master[mind] - 03-24-2010

Think gravity hammer from halo, maybe a force from a pad on the hand(opposite from weapon). It would be offhand. And awesome.
The animation would be an open palmed hand aimed forward center. Reload time obviously.

Edit: Maybe it would require energy from your shield(which should become a cool visible effect). No shield energy, no melee. Just thoughts.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Silverburn - 03-24-2010

Also, Mac players: get a mouse with right-click dammit.

Blame the company that makes your hardware, not the devs.

XONOTIC IS A VIDEOGAME. VIDEOGAMES REQUIRE DECENT INPUT DEVICES SUCH AS MICE WITH THREE TO SEVEN BUTTONS. IF YOUR MOUSE SUCKS, GET A NEW ONE. A CHEAP 3 BUTTON LOGITECH OPTICAL AT A RETAIL STORE GOES FOR ABOUT 10 BUCKS OVER HERE AS DOES THE TRUST PREDATOR ONLINE AND THEY CAN BE USED ON ANY PLATFORM WITH A USB INTERFACE. Also this is an old-school inspired ARENA first person shooter, this is NOT Call of Duty, Halo, or even UT3. This game is too fast to implement a switchable melee and it's probably a bad idea to include a melee that is meant for actual fighting. The ONLY melee I can think of that would be beneficial to this type of game is an OFF HAND shove that pushes an opponent back to prevent the player from blowing themselves up at close range.

RE: A Melee Weapon - ImpulseNine - 03-24-2010

Gaming with an Apple MightyMouse would be like trying to drive with 3 tires. Unless you're in a Tuk-Tuk =p you're screwed. I've owned a few MX518's and a Diamonback or two. I prefer the MX518. I know there are better mice, but it's only 40 bucks and they last. Plenty of buttons in all the right places.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178&Tpk=mx518

Here's a Trust GM Predator with a large mouse pad and half decent USB headset for $20. I actually have used both the Predator and the MX518 before getting my Lachesis and I can honestly say that if you can live with only two DPI stages that the Predator is a much better mouse.

http://www.galactics.com/Trust-Gamer-Pack-Advanced/M/B0018Z0ABK.htm

Back to melee guys. *sheesh* Big Grin

(03-24-2010, 08:12 PM)master[mind] Wrote: Back to melee guys. *sheesh* Big Grin

What do you think? I've said it like a gazillion times that the ability to shove a player away would be nice, but an actual weapon for fighting at close range, especially one that you have to switch to is a bad idea.

I agree. Make the Grapple Hook from the hand also feature a gravity pushing function with reload. As I stated, maybe the energy comes from Shield or electric ammo.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Roanoke - 03-25-2010

It already has gravity pulling.
I think, as was mentioned in the old thread, the melee weapon should be a telescoping type offhand weapon with some range, but shorter than any weapon. Humping distance is too close for a xonotic melee weapon.

Also, mac guys, get a real mouse or get a PC.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Vael - 03-25-2010

Way to alienate community members Roanoke. Will you donate to my buy a mouse fund? 'Cause my mac is used primarily for things besides gaming. I'm not going to shell out more money for a mouse just to be competitive when I'm having fun. I'll switch to some other free FPS if thats the kind of response I'm going to get. Also, my Apple computer IS a PC. Sure, I could install WINDOWS on it, but that wouldn't change my mouse situation.

I really don't like the idea of making a melee weapon offhand, unless its a shove. I can deal without using a push. I'd rather have no melee weapon if the only alternative is for it to be offhand.

RE: A Melee Weapon - master[mind] - 03-25-2010

(03-25-2010, 10:18 PM)Vael Wrote: Way to alienate community members Roanoke. Will you donate to my buy a mouse fund? 'Cause my mac is used primarily for things besides gaming. I'm not going to shell out more money for a mouse just to be competitive when I'm having fun. I'll switch to some other free FPS if thats the kind of response I'm going to get. Also, my Apple computer IS a PC. Sure, I could install WINDOWS on it, but that wouldn't change my mouse situation.

While Roanoke is somewhat opinionated, there is some truth to his statement. The issue is not your OS, it is your mouse. A 1/2 button mouse is obsolete for any kind of serious gaming, and greatly hinders performance for casual gaming. A $14.99 investment in a 5 button wired optical mouse will give you enough buttons for grapple, zoom, and melee. Any free FPS is set up for at least a 3 button mouse. ANY FPS. I promise, it will be worth your money.

RE: A Melee Weapon - Roanoke - 03-27-2010

Vael, I apologize if I've offended you. I'm sure that you have ten dollars for a three button mouse, though. A melee weapon which needs to be switched to is, frankly, not viable for a game as fast as nexuiz. If the enemy has a nex, they'll shoot you at point-blank range and that's it.

RE: A Melee Weapon - esteel - 03-28-2010

I think a "real" weapon to switch to can still work in Xonotic, the weapon switch times are quite low.. In fact a offhand melee weapon would be a deviation from current ways to handle guns. The Offhand hook should stay the only exception.