Xonotic Forums
[CTF] Concourse - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Map Releases & Reviews (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: [CTF] Concourse (/showthread.php?tid=829)

[CTF] Concourse - vede - 08-15-2010

After quite a while messing around in NetRadiant, I've finally gotten this map up to a point where I'm willing to release it for public consumpion.

This is my first map ever, for Xonotic or any other game, so I'm kind of excited to see what sort of feedback I get.

It's kinda small, and I think it'd be best played with ~12 players.

Screenshots!

Maintenance:
[Image: xonotic000152.th.jpg]

Main area:
[Image: xonotic000153.th.jpg]

Spawn:
[Image: xonotic000154.th.jpg]

Flag room:
[Image: xonotic000150.th.jpg]

Download!

If there's something weird or wrong about the release (ie. something I should have included but didn't or whatever) please tell me. I'm not really sure exactly how I'm supposed to do this, so I just put sutff in a pk3 and checked if it loaded and when it did, I decided it was fine.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - kojn^ - 08-15-2010

downloading now.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Mr. Bougo - 08-15-2010

The mapinfo file is missing, you should add one.
You also included the .prt and .srf files, I don't think they are needed. There's no map thumbnail or radar map, and no licensing information. You should consider adding those for the next release.

(testing now)

EDIT: nice detail! I think 12 players might be a bit too much on this map, as it is quite linear and the layout is not very complex
The red and blue pipes still stand out though, and their specularity is too high I think. Looks a bit strange :x

RE: [CTF] Concourse - kojn^ - 08-15-2010

Map is nice in design/looks, my only qualm is that you can look directly from one best to the other, and that the routers are too linear, You can speed cap down the sides in about 5 seconds. I quite like how you can cut into the middle areas from the outside areas, so I like that flow.

This is your first map though isn't it?

Item layout is pretty good because you haven't gone OTT and is fine, enough weapons inside and just outside of the base to get a player going.

Good work Smile

For a first map it is really good work Smile

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Cuinnton - 08-15-2010

Great utilization of netraident Smile

If you do a revision, all it needs is a large amount of clip brushes to stop sticking points and a few dynamics lights Smile

I think you should detailing levels with me from the git Smile ur skillz are advanced

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Fisume - 08-15-2010

So much eyecandy, simply awesome Smile

Anyway as MrBougo already said, the red and blue pipes could need some detail. Also, how about adding a middle room where the main battles would be? You could add there a mega health and the nexrifle (or Xonrifle, whatever it's name will be).

RE: [CTF] Concourse - PinkRobot - 08-15-2010

My comments on this map are nicely summed up by the time on the third screenshot.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - MintOX - 08-15-2010

Great work. Very detailed, good brush work good texture work, good lighting. You need some clip brushes in there though.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - FruitieX - 08-15-2010

Wow. Releasing this under gpl? This could be added to the official beta in that case :o

RE: [CTF] Concourse - vede - 08-15-2010

(08-15-2010, 02:21 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Wow. Releasing this under gpl? This could be added to the official beta in that case :o

O_O

Yes, definitely releasing under the GPL.

Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

How do I add a map thumbnail and minimap? And music?

I'm going to work on changing the map to be a bit less linear and longer over the next few days, and I'll probably have another release some time next week.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Moo - 08-15-2010

From the screenshots, I can see you've come a long way since your last (and first) map. Good job, vede!

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Mr. Bougo - 08-15-2010

Minimap generation is built into Netradiant... Look in the menus I guess.
And read this: http://alienTRAP.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2363

EDIT: also, the archive contains a "Concourse_v1" file and a "Concourse_v1/" directory, don't do this as linux does not support directories and filenames with the same name in the same location.
EDIT: the Concourse_v1 file is the same as Concourse_v1.map... I guess you did something wrong somewhere Tongue

RE: [CTF] Concourse - master[mind] - 08-15-2010

I'd try it ouy but I'm on vacation. From the screenshots, looks very good. Good organized and clean design.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Roanoke - 08-15-2010

Will try it out tomorrow, glad to hear it is finished.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - rainerzufalldererste - 08-16-2010

looks good! Big Grin
want to play it!

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Antibody - 08-16-2010

Screenshots look "oooOoo shiny." I'll give it a try this afternoon.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - theShadow - 08-17-2010

very good map. however, I think it could use some alterations, to break up the flow. at the momement, the map consists of 3 paths, all basically straight from one base to another.

but it's your call, really.

cheers!

EDIT: revised suggestion. I played the map, forgot there is no central room.

there are 3 doors between red and blue base. my suggestion is to remove the central door, and put 2 doors on either side of the room. (to the right and left of the original, where those smaller pipes are coming out) and move the pipes closer to the center, and have the little recessed area for the pipes gor foreward, in front of the doors back to their original path along the wall. and then add a catwalk between the upper areas in both rooms that crosses the center of the room. (above it)

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Mirio - 08-17-2010

Are there only 3 spawn points for each base like at the screen? I can't test it now.
If yes, spawn killing would be kinda easy :/

RE: [CTF] Concourse - XV22 - 08-17-2010

1- I too think the blue/red pipes should have more details.
2- this high ground:
[Image: xonotic000140.th.jpg]
it's a bit annoying because sometimes I get stuck, since I should jump, can't just walk over them.

another suggestion would be to make steel more shiny and use more lights, like in G-23 map:
[Image: xonotic000142.th.jpg]

and about the map being too linear, I think this may not be bad, since Xonotic will not encourage the use of hooks and high laser jumps, I don't know, but maybe it will be alright.

Anyway, the map is very nice, especially considering that it's ur first map. pls don't take my comments as criticism Smile

RE: [CTF] Concourse - nowego4 - 08-24-2010

(08-17-2010, 05:30 PM)XV22 Wrote: and about the map being too linear, I think this may not be bad, since Xonotic will not encourage the use of hooks and high laser jumps, I don't know, but maybe it will be alright.

WHAT!?!?!!!!

Being a good (ctf) nexuiz player basically meant "A to B, faster than thee"

Anyway, the screenshots look nice.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - kojn^ - 08-24-2010

Movement is faster then in nexuiz..and with lasering off the walls..

Anyway it is indeed a nice map, should make for some fungames Smile

RE: [CTF] Concourse - XV22 - 08-24-2010

(08-24-2010, 03:50 PM)nowego4 Wrote:
(08-17-2010, 05:30 PM)XV22 Wrote: and about the map being too linear, I think this may not be bad, since Xonotic will not encourage the use of hooks and high laser jumps, I don't know, but maybe it will be alright.

WHAT!?!?!!!!

Being a good (ctf) nexuiz player basically meant "A to B, faster than thee"

Huh? I don't understand.
what I meant is that since Xonotic will discourage hook and reduces laser jumps, then it will not be possible to just for example use hook to go from red base to blue base in one quick movement (since the map is linear).
Anyway, I'm not a CTF player and I don't really care about it, so my comments about it may not be important.

RE: [CTF] Concourse - Roanoke - 09-24-2010

Very good, nice layout, nice graphics, etc.

This bump here will murder your velocity because it propels you into the overhang:
[Image: dm-1512853708630.png]

If you make these lights slightly larger they can be used to trickjump over the gap.
[Image: dm-112853708634.png]